Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Free Night Certificate Questions & Experiences" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 14, 2019, 8:27 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
Expiration: The 12 month expiration date on a certificate means you must reserve and complete the stay by the expiration date. You can't reserve something beyond the 12 month period. You can't extend the expiration date. (Some exceptions starting with this post.)

Eligible Dates: A certificate can be used for a Standard Room Award any day of the week. (Old policy limited them to Fri, Sat, Sun).

Other Notes:
  • If you earned a free night from a credit card and cancel the card, the free night certificate remains intact.
  • If you cancel a reservation made with a free night certificate, the certificate becomes available right away.
  • After making a reservation with a free night certificate, you'll get an email that says you booked a Standard Room Award. It will also show the points value, but no points will actually be deducted.
  • The free night from the Aspire card arrives by email within 2 months of being approved and anniversary date, and the free night from spend on the Aspire/Business/Surpass arrives within a week or sooner of reaching the spending threshold. This is irrespective of your card statement date. If you upgrade from another Hilton Amex to the Aspire, the free night may post more quickly.
  • Available, reserved and used certificates can be seen midway through the My Account page (https://www.hilton.com/en/hilton-hon...st/my-account/)
  • If you're waiting for a free night certificate to arrive, Hilton reps say it does not help to make a points reservation and then swap it later. The reason is they have to cancel the old points reservation one and make a new reservation. The old one can't just be edited to change the payment to a FNC.
Archived older notes:
  • From the Hilton email regarding a special 2020 policy on some certificates, "For all unexpired Weekend Night Rewards as of March 11, 2020, and all new ones issued until August 30, 2020, we are extending the expiration date through the end of next summer (August 31, 2021). There is no need for you to do anything, as your certificate(s) are being automatically updated in our systems. We hope this adjustment gives you some additional flexibility for your travels
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Free Night Certificate Questions & Experiences" thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2023, 11:43 am

Originally Posted by Eyefly123
Anniversary is November. By this time last year, I had already received it. Talk about inconsistency
My experience has been that the Hilton certificate gets to me like 8 weeks after the anniversary date. Do you have enough points to hold the room with points? And then when you get the cert, you have to call CSR anyway, they will probably be able to change the reservation to your cert.

I now see there are DPs above showing that this method hasn't been working lately.
Old Jan 16, 2023, 9:26 am

Has anyone been able to combine a free night certificate with a fifth night free benefit?

I have a six day reservation I would like to book. Five with points (with the fifth night free) and then a sixth night with the free night certificate. The property I am looking to book requires a 5 night minimum for award availability at standard rates. So the free night certificate cannot be used unless it is in conjunction with the other five nights. The HH rep told me that this could not be done.
Old Jan 16, 2023, 7:01 pm

Originally Posted by dc10forlife
Has anyone been able to combine a free night certificate with a fifth night free benefit?

I have a six day reservation I would like to book. Five with points (with the fifth night free) and then a sixth night with the free night certificate. The property I am looking to book requires a 5 night minimum for award availability at standard rates. So the free night certificate cannot be used unless it is in conjunction with the other five nights. The HH rep told me that this could not be done.
Unfortunately don't think it can be done at a 5 night minimum property
Old Jan 26, 2023, 6:00 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond
I'm at a little over 10 weeks from my anniversary date. I chatted with Amex and the rep said that since the terms state 8-14 weeks, I should sit tight for a little while longer.
Old Jan 27, 2023, 9:31 am

Programs: Primarily Hilton & Delta
Originally Posted by 54austin
I'm at a little over 10 weeks from my anniversary date. I chatted with Amex and the rep said that since the terms state 8-14 weeks, I should sit tight for a little while longer.
My card anniversary is the end of October and it seems I get the FNC the first week of January every year (roughly 10 weeks).
Old Jan 27, 2023, 5:08 pm

I really lucked out with my FNC. It was expiring on 2/8/23 and they gave me a 2-week extension which enabled me to book one night at WA Maldives with one day to spare I booked three more with FNCs as well.
Old Jan 27, 2023, 5:25 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
I'm not sure this is a news flash or not. I have always, when I needed to cancel, called in. This time, I was able to cancel by just hitting "cancel". But still had to call in to rebook.

Halfway there, Hilton.
Old Jan 27, 2023, 10:43 pm

Having to call in to book is a real pain...

Can we book using the online chat?
the online chat agents dont work 24 hrs unfortunately.

tks
Old Jan 28, 2023, 5:19 am

If I have a booking that was booked with points, and the resort has 30-day cancellation policy, and my free night certificate arrives in my account two weeks before arrival (which means it's past cancellation deadline, so obviously, if you cancel and rebook, you get penalized for cancellation fee), will hilton let me swap points with FNC without penalizing me for cancellation fee?

Last edited by uclacolumbiaunc; Jan 28, 2023 at 5:28 am
Old Jan 29, 2023, 4:35 pm

is FNC combinable with 5-night free on award stay?

I mean, instead of booking 5 nights using 4-night worth of points, can I book 5 nights using 3-night worth of points plus 1 FNC?
Old Jan 29, 2023, 5:40 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G and *A Top 1000; HHonors Diamond; *$ Gold; Global Entry
Originally Posted by uclacolumbiaunc
I mean, instead of booking 5 nights using 4-night worth of points, can I book 5 nights using 3-night worth of points plus 1 FNC?
No, you cannot. It’s not possible.
eponymous_coward likes this.
Old Jan 29, 2023, 6:14 pm

Agreed not possible
eponymous_coward likes this.
Old Jan 30, 2023, 3:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Actually you can (or you could). However it requires a call to Hilton.

Based on how the maths works, you get less value from the FNC than using it on a stand-alone night.

For example...

If you wanted to add a fifth night “free”, the calculations would work out like this:
  • 95,000 x 5 =475,000 points
  • 475,000 x 80% = 380,000 points –> 76,000 points per night for every night other than the one using a free night certificate
  • = 76,000 x 4 = 304,000 points + one free night certificate
So, instead of receiving the “fifth night free”, you would pay an additional 19,000 points to stay that extra night. A bargain… but not free.
Old Jan 30, 2023, 9:51 am

Programs: HH Diamond, HGVC, WN RR, National Exec, Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by craigthemif
Actually you can (or you could). However it requires a call to Hilton.

Based on how the maths works, you get less value from the FNC than using it on a stand-alone night.

For example...
I also found the same example on this link: https://insideflyer.com/2021/05/12/h...-benefit-work/

But I am struggling to understand how you come up with the 76,000 value on 4 nights of a 5th night free stay at a 95,000 per night property and then use a FNC.
Old Jan 30, 2023, 12:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by birdiedouble
I also found the same example on this link: https://insideflyer.com/2021/05/12/h...-benefit-work/

But I am struggling to understand how you come up with the 76,000 value on 4 nights of a 5th night free stay at a 95,000 per night property and then use a FNC.
I don't usually link to myself to avoid breaking any FT rules. LOL.

Essentially the fifth night free works out as a 20% discount across the five nights, especially now that award pricing is more dynamic. So you are merely replacing one of those five nights with a FNC. (what you aren't doing is replacing one of the four full-price nights and still getting a free night)
SPN Lifer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.