Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Free Night Certificate Questions & Experiences" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 14, 2019, 8:27 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
Expiration: The 12 month expiration date on a certificate means you must reserve and complete the stay by the expiration date. You can't reserve something beyond the 12 month period. You can't extend the expiration date. (Some exceptions starting with this post.)

Eligible Dates: A certificate can be used for a Standard Room Award any day of the week. (Old policy limited them to Fri, Sat, Sun).

Other Notes:
  • If you earned a free night from a credit card and cancel the card, the free night certificate remains intact.
  • If you cancel a reservation made with a free night certificate, the certificate becomes available right away.
  • After making a reservation with a free night certificate, you'll get an email that says you booked a Standard Room Award. It will also show the points value, but no points will actually be deducted.
  • The free night from the Aspire card arrives by email within 2 months of being approved and anniversary date, and the free night from spend on the Aspire/Business/Surpass arrives within a week or sooner of reaching the spending threshold. This is irrespective of your card statement date. If you upgrade from another Hilton Amex to the Aspire, the free night may post more quickly.
  • Available, reserved and used certificates can be seen midway through the My Account page (https://www.hilton.com/en/hilton-hon...st/my-account/)
  • If you're waiting for a free night certificate to arrive, Hilton reps say it does not help to make a points reservation and then swap it later. The reason is they have to cancel the old points reservation one and make a new reservation. The old one can't just be edited to change the payment to a FNC.
Archived older notes:
  • From the Hilton email regarding a special 2020 policy on some certificates, "For all unexpired Weekend Night Rewards as of March 11, 2020, and all new ones issued until August 30, 2020, we are extending the expiration date through the end of next summer (August 31, 2021). There is no need for you to do anything, as your certificate(s) are being automatically updated in our systems. We hope this adjustment gives you some additional flexibility for your travels
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Free Night Certificate Questions & Experiences" thread

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2023, 6:25 am

Originally Posted by travelbugging
For those that upgraded to their Aspire from another Hilton card, when do you get your anniversary free night? Is it the date of upgrade or the date the original card was opened? One would assume it is the date of upgrade so I was very surprised to find that I received my anniversary free night today (3.5 mths before the anniversary of my upgrade but right on time if going by the original card anniversary date).
The first one comes with the upgrade (so about 8-10 weeks later), then it goes with the original card anniversary date.
Old Sep 1, 2023, 11:31 am

Originally Posted by drthunder
The first one comes with the upgrade (so about 8-10 weeks later), then it goes with the original card anniversary date.
Thank you! Oops I would've planned better if I knew it was the original card anniversary date.
Old Sep 2, 2023, 7:58 am

Wait… for some reason I assumed that if I upgraded to the Aspire, my first certificate would be for my card anniversary (and that I’d receive one about ~8 weeks after that date). You’re telling me that I qualify for one immediately (and likely receiving it ~8 weeks after) when I upgrade?

(edit: my own research confirms that “yes, you do!” —> https://frequentmiler.com/why-i-paid-over-1000-dollars-to-upgrade-3-no-fee-hilton-cards/)

if so, that would be amazing. I have a surpass where I am currently meeting the $15k spend (should happen this month), after which my plan was to upgrade before to the aspire before my anniversary date in January. If I upgrade earlier, it would seem that I would get the $15k surpass certificate, the Aspire upgrade certificate, and then the Aspire annual certificate?

Last edited by beefninja; Sep 2, 2023 at 8:06 am
Old Sep 2, 2023, 9:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Mine comes about a month or so after the AF, which is my upgrade date.
Old Sep 4, 2023, 3:36 am

Originally Posted by beefninja
Wait… for some reason I assumed that if I upgraded to the Aspire, my first certificate would be for my card anniversary (and that I’d receive one about ~8 weeks after that date). You’re telling me that I qualify for one immediately (and likely receiving it ~8 weeks after) when I upgrade?

(edit: my own research confirms that “yes, you do!” —> https://frequentmiler.com/why-i-paid...-hilton-cards/)

if so, that would be amazing. I have a surpass where I am currently meeting the $15k spend (should happen this month), after which my plan was to upgrade before to the aspire before my anniversary date in January. If I upgrade earlier, it would seem that I would get the $15k surpass certificate, the Aspire upgrade certificate, and then the Aspire annual certificate?
Additionally, since the $250 resort credit is also pinned to anniversary year, not calendar year, you could use that twice too, right after upgrading, and again after account anniversary.
Old Sep 4, 2023, 9:16 am

Originally Posted by martzipan
Additionally, since the $250 resort credit is also pinned to anniversary year, not calendar year, you could use that twice too, right after upgrading, and again after account anniversary.
I don't believe that's correct. I think it's anniversary year. Airline is calendar year
Old Sep 4, 2023, 10:03 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
Originally Posted by Schnit
I don't believe that's correct. I think it's anniversary year. Airline is calendar year
Bothof you are saying the same thing
Old Sep 4, 2023, 10:41 am

Originally Posted by martzipan
crap I forgot about that and was calculating mine based on upgrade date. Damn I just missed out on $250.
Old Sep 6, 2023, 1:55 pm

Upgraded Hilton Surpass to Hilton Aspire - FNC question

N/A N/A N/A

Last edited by idkmybffjill; Sep 7, 2023 at 6:36 pm
Old Sep 6, 2023, 8:36 pm

I read that as meaning no matter how many times you upgrade and downgrade until you pass the anniversary year again you won't get another certificate
Old Sep 7, 2023, 9:40 am

I read that as meaning no matter how many times you upgrade and downgrade until you pass the anniversary year again you won't get another certificate
Okay so the Surpass (which is what the card was originally) has an anniversary date of May. I just did the Aspire upgrade yesterday. So this first Aspire FNC will arrive in 8-14 weeks…and the second one will arrive next May and every May after that, regardless of how many times I downgrade or upgrade this Aspire going forward, correct?
Old Sep 7, 2023, 11:43 am

Originally Posted by idkmybffjill
Okay so the Surpass (which is what the card was originally) has an anniversary date of May. I just did the Aspire upgrade yesterday. So this first Aspire FNC will arrive in 8-14 weeks…and the second one will arrive next May and every May after that, regardless of how many times I downgrade or upgrade this Aspire going forward, correct?
One other thing to keep in mind...

When I upgrade from the free card back to Surpass last year, everything since the beginning of the year retroactively counted toward the spend, as soon as I made one charge. I imagine the same works on a downgrade. You upgraded yesterday to Aspire, you will get a FNC this year and in May, then if you downgrade again next September, you can get a FNC prior to YE, and get yet another certificate, and then spend 15k again before May and upgrade back. I wouldnt do this every year as AMEX probably wont like it. Once every few years however, for some extra certificates, you probably could. Especially since you have another Aspire
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Sep 7, 2023, 1:54 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Delta Gold
One other thing to keep in mind...

When I upgrade from the free card back to Surpass last year, everything since the beginning of the year retroactively counted toward the spend, as soon as I made one charge. I imagine the same works on a downgrade. You upgraded yesterday to Aspire, you will get a FNC this year and in May, then if you downgrade again next September, you can get a FNC prior to YE, and get yet another certificate, and then spend 15k again before May and upgrade back. I wouldnt do this every year as AMEX probably wont like it. Once every few years however, for some extra certificates, you probably could. Especially since you have another Aspire
Would you say that you can upgrade from the free card to the Surpass, spend $15k to get a free cert, and then further upgrade to the Aspire to get another certificate? Or Amex will frown at the double upgrade within a year?

I do have the Aspire card already and also have a free one that was a downgrade from a Surpass and I never use the free card. So reading this gave me an idea on how to make it into a useful card.
Old Sep 7, 2023, 7:50 pm

Originally Posted by friedablass
Would you say that you can upgrade from the free card to the Surpass, spend $15k to get a free cert, and then further upgrade to the Aspire to get another certificate? Or Amex will frown at the double upgrade within a year?

I do have the Aspire card already and also have a free one that was a downgrade from a Surpass and I never use the free card. So reading this gave me an idea on how to make it into a useful card.
IMO upgrade, spend 15k this year and next, then you could upgrade again. Probably fine to upgrade multiple times, just the constant up and down that I think they'd frown on.

In the matter of months you'd get 3 certificates and 90k from spend. Your call if that's worth it to you, sounds like it to me
SPN Lifer and friedablass like this.
Old Sep 8, 2023, 10:03 am

Programs: AA Life Plat 4mm, Hilton Diamond
Booked a 2 night stay day one FNC , my name + second night 95k, my son mentioned we has a FNC he can’t use so he booked the second night date adding my wife’s (his mother) name - of course same last name
I canceled the 95k room, we going to be ok?
To be safe he said he would give us his AX card to show if needed

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.