Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Free Night Certificate Questions & Experiences" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 14, 2019, 8:27 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
Expiration: The 12 month expiration date on a certificate means you must reserve and complete the stay by the expiration date. You can't reserve something beyond the 12 month period. You can't extend the expiration date. (Some exceptions starting with this post.)

Eligible Dates: A certificate can be used for a Standard Room Award any day of the week. (Old policy limited them to Fri, Sat, Sun).

Other Notes:
  • If you earned a free night from a credit card and cancel the card, the free night certificate remains intact.
  • If you cancel a reservation made with a free night certificate, the certificate becomes available right away.
  • After making a reservation with a free night certificate, you'll get an email that says you booked a Standard Room Award. It will also show the points value, but no points will actually be deducted.
  • The free night from the Aspire card arrives by email within 2 months of being approved and anniversary date, and the free night from spend on the Aspire/Business/Surpass arrives within a week or sooner of reaching the spending threshold. This is irrespective of your card statement date. If you upgrade from another Hilton Amex to the Aspire, the free night may post more quickly.
  • Available, reserved and used certificates can be seen midway through the My Account page (https://www.hilton.com/en/hilton-hon...st/my-account/)
  • If you're waiting for a free night certificate to arrive, Hilton reps say it does not help to make a points reservation and then swap it later. The reason is they have to cancel the old points reservation one and make a new reservation. The old one can't just be edited to change the payment to a FNC.
Archived older notes:
  • From the Hilton email regarding a special 2020 policy on some certificates, "For all unexpired Weekend Night Rewards as of March 11, 2020, and all new ones issued until August 30, 2020, we are extending the expiration date through the end of next summer (August 31, 2021). There is no need for you to do anything, as your certificate(s) are being automatically updated in our systems. We hope this adjustment gives you some additional flexibility for your travels
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Free Night Certificate Questions & Experiences" thread

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2023, 1:19 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by beefninja
Tried calling back in 2 more times over the last ~6 weeks.

Both times, I encountered an initial agent who was adamant that they (speaking about themselves the agent) would not be able to extend a certificate or make a booking with a certificate for after its expiry, not now and not closer to expiry and not after expiry. I mentioned that I had previously been told it was possible and there should be notes on the reservation. Both times, they expressed surprise, then referred me over to another department (I'm guessing some part of HHonors rather than the booking department), and both times that next person I spoke to told me that:

1. They could not extend the certificate now
2. They will extend it when it is closer to expiry (one went so far as to use the word "guarantee", similar to the my initial call back in June)
3. I should call back up to 2 weeks prior to expiry

So, this might not be consistent with what other people have experienced, but it's at least been a consistent message to me throughout my multiple calls.
I'm sorry to hear that you aren't able to get your certificate extended. It seems that those of us who were able to get extensions did it through the Diamond desk. Possibly they have more leeway, but unfortunately at the moment I don't believe you would have access to that being that your status is Gold.
Old Jul 21, 2023, 1:41 pm
Rd3

Programs: HH Dia, Marriott Titanium, AA Gold, UA Silver
When are we going to be able to book these online/using the app?

I just had a 2nd instance in which, because of language barriers or just not understanding, the agent booked the wrong date.....I don't understand in 2023 why we still have to call in to reserve....
Old Jul 21, 2023, 7:56 pm

Originally Posted by Rd3
When are we going to be able to book these online/using the app?

I just had a 2nd instance in which, because of language barriers or just not understanding, the agent booked the wrong date.....I don't understand in 2023 why we still have to call in to reserve....
It's maybe only a little bit better, but you can also book FNC reservations using Hilton's online chat. In my experience there's usually also a language barrier, but at least when the dates are spelled out in black and white it's harder to mess up.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jul 24, 2023, 7:19 am

Originally Posted by friedablass
I'm sorry to hear that you aren't able to get your certificate extended. It seems that those of us who were able to get extensions did it through the Diamond desk. Possibly they have more leeway, but unfortunately at the moment I don't believe you would have access to that being that your status is Gold.
Yeah, I'll be Diamond at the time of the stay. I had downgraded an Aspire card a while back to the no-fee card, now it's a Surpass (received an upgrade offer) and I'm doing spend towards the $15k free night, after which I'll probably upgrade it back to an Aspire so I'll have the $250 resort credit for the stay in Jan 2024. Hopefully that's in the next couple of months so I can get Diamond and attempt a call-in to the Diamond Desk to extend the free night.
Old Jul 26, 2023, 10:09 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond Hyatt Globalist Marriott Gold AA EXP
Why does it have to take 45-90 mins to book a simple FNA?

I've booked 3 this month and each time been put on hold repeatedly if I call or asked to stay connected over and over if I chat. This is ridiculous.

Why can't the FNA just be booked online like with Hyatt FNAs?
Old Jul 26, 2023, 10:18 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
It's never more than 10 minutes for me....

I'm not sure the Diamond Desk phone is answered in Dallas anymore? My last FNA redemption was with a very competent but heavily accented CSR.

(I thought you could only accrue 1 per calendar year?)
Old Jul 26, 2023, 10:41 am

Programs: Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond; National Car Rental Executive Elite
Originally Posted by cblaisd

I'm not sure the Diamond Desk phone is answered in Dallas anymore? My last FNA redemption was with a very competent but heavily accented CSR.

This is my experience as well. Call in (Diamond #), tell them what you want to do, they ask for the hotel, the dates, and the certificate number. Reservation is made.
Duke787 likes this.
Old Jul 26, 2023, 12:31 pm

What do you mean accrue 1 per calendar year? I got multiple this year from the various sign up bonuses and the one that comes with the Aspire.

Originally Posted by aww3583
This is my experience as well. Call in (Diamond #), tell them what you want to do, they ask for the hotel, the dates, and the certificate number. Reservation is made.
The last few times I called in, they didn't even ask me for the certificate number - they could just see the certs I had and applied them. I guess that is more of a step if you have multiple and only want to use a certain number of them?
Old Jul 26, 2023, 1:10 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Zolor23
What do you mean accrue 1 per calendar year?
I get an FNC (one per calendar year, I was told by Hilton) for spending $15K on my Hilton Amex.
Old Jul 26, 2023, 1:12 pm

I get an FNC (one per calendar year, I was told by Hilton) for spending $15K on my Hilton Amex.
Oh yeah, I think you can only get one per card through spend per year, but you can have multiple on your account through multiple credit cards. All the cards had a sign-up bonus recently with a free night certificate and the Business/Surpass/Aspire cards have the opportunity to earn another one through spend.
Old Jul 26, 2023, 1:30 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....

The last few times I called in, they didn't even ask me for the certificate number - they could just see the certs I had and applied them. I guess that is more of a step if you have multiple and only want to use a certain number of them?
I had several on my account and they proactively used the one expiring first.
Years ago you had to know the number now all is on your account
Old Jul 26, 2023, 1:40 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond Hyatt Globalist Marriott Gold AA EXP

One was leftover from last year and expiring and I accrued this year's earlier and it just posted. The 3rd was on my DD's acct. Plus you can accrue more for hitting 60K spend, and you can have mulitple Amex Cards.
Old Jul 26, 2023, 3:18 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Delta Gold
Oh yeah, I think you can only get one per card through spend per year, but you can have multiple on your account through multiple credit cards. All the cards had a sign-up bonus recently with a free night certificate and the Business/Surpass/Aspire cards have the opportunity to earn another one through spend.
With the Aspire you get one every year just for holding the card, no need to spend anything for it. You can get another one for spending $60k on the card.

So yes, it's certainly possible for someone to have multiple FNAs in their account coming from various cards.
Old Jul 26, 2023, 3:31 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
Originally Posted by friedablass
With the Aspire you get one every year just for holding the card, no need to spend anything for it. You can get another one for spending $60k on the card.

So yes, it's certainly possible for someone to have multiple FNAs in their account coming from various cards.
And in the past that had “spend $x get a free weekend night” in addition.
Old Jul 26, 2023, 4:36 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Originally Posted by blitzen
And in the past that had “spend $x get a free weekend night” in addition.
I loved that one! We were renovating our house and cleaned up.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.