Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Free Night Certificate Questions & Experiences" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 14, 2019, 8:27 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
Expiration: The 12 month expiration date on a certificate means you must reserve and complete the stay by the expiration date. You can't reserve something beyond the 12 month period. You can't extend the expiration date. (Some exceptions starting with this post.)

Eligible Dates: A certificate can be used for a Standard Room Award any day of the week. (Old policy limited them to Fri, Sat, Sun).

Other Notes:
  • If you earned a free night from a credit card and cancel the card, the free night certificate remains intact.
  • If you cancel a reservation made with a free night certificate, the certificate becomes available right away.
  • After making a reservation with a free night certificate, you'll get an email that says you booked a Standard Room Award. It will also show the points value, but no points will actually be deducted.
  • The free night from the Aspire card arrives by email within 2 months of being approved and anniversary date, and the free night from spend on the Aspire/Business/Surpass arrives within a week or sooner of reaching the spending threshold. This is irrespective of your card statement date. If you upgrade from another Hilton Amex to the Aspire, the free night may post more quickly.
  • Available, reserved and used certificates can be seen midway through the My Account page (https://www.hilton.com/en/hilton-hon...st/my-account/)
  • If you're waiting for a free night certificate to arrive, Hilton reps say it does not help to make a points reservation and then swap it later. The reason is they have to cancel the old points reservation one and make a new reservation. The old one can't just be edited to change the payment to a FNC.
Archived older notes:
  • From the Hilton email regarding a special 2020 policy on some certificates, "For all unexpired Weekend Night Rewards as of March 11, 2020, and all new ones issued until August 30, 2020, we are extending the expiration date through the end of next summer (August 31, 2021). There is no need for you to do anything, as your certificate(s) are being automatically updated in our systems. We hope this adjustment gives you some additional flexibility for your travels
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Free Night Certificate Questions & Experiences" thread

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2023, 2:31 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Originally Posted by 57skibird
I googled and found on FrequentMiler.com how people got extensions on their free night certs. I called Marriott again and got lucky on St. Pat's Day. They gave me an extension and booked me a free night! Yay!
Did you have a Marriott or a Hilton certificate? This is the Hilton thread.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Mar 20, 2023, 10:57 am

I have a cert expiring in a few days and was hoping to extend it 18 days to make a booking. They seem to be pretty insistent that 14 days is the max extension. I've read a few people getting longer, but they seem to be slightly older datapoints. From what they are saying it sounds pretty inflexible. I may try again, but seems like a waste of time.

I really need to re-evaluate how I value these free nights. They have been causing more stress than joy lately. At $450, the Aspire is still a keeper, but this is frustrating.
Old Mar 20, 2023, 12:13 pm

Originally Posted by lkar
I have a cert expiring in a few days and was hoping to extend it 18 days to make a booking. They seem to be pretty insistent that 14 days is the max extension. I've read a few people getting longer, but they seem to be slightly older datapoints. From what they are saying it sounds pretty inflexible. I may try again, but seems like a waste of time.
Got denied twice already. Not sure if I should try again.
Old Mar 21, 2023, 4:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
These recent reports of long lead time to get the certificate are disappointing. My one from last year just expired (and I just paid my annual fee) and of course we are planning a trip for July where I could use it (and at a 95k property so get maximum value) but seems like it might not show up until May/June which is too late.

Guess I'll just have to book with points and then hope that the base rooms are still available come July so I can swap one of the nights into an FNC. I'll just book as individual night at a time stays so that I don't run into an issue where they can't swap out due to re-pricing the whole trip
Old Mar 21, 2023, 8:20 pm

DP on Feb 22. I called the Diamond line to make a booking almost 3 weeks after my Free Night Cert was expiring. Rep was able to book my room, extending my Cert by 3 weeks. From late April to mid May. This was my first time extending a Cert. I Don't know if they keep record of this.
Old Mar 26, 2023, 6:00 pm

Programs: Delta Plat, Southwest RR, HHonors Diamond, Hertz PC, National EE
Called the Diamond desk twice today for a FNC from my Aspire card that expired in early April. Was looking to book the WA in Orlando for the weekend of April 15th. The first rep was a stickler with no extension. Called back and the second rep was able to book the reservation, since I was ready to book while on the phone. If you don’t find a rep willing to budge, hang up and call again seems to be the name of the game
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2023, 8:49 am

Using FNC for someone else? Re-issue to someone else?

This was asked before, and it seems FNC can be used for someone else. Any issues with this?

Also, apparently FNC can be issued to someone else so they can book it under their account? How is this done? Do I wait for FNC to be issued to me and ask Hilton to re-issue it under someone else's account? Or do I need to give a heads up to Hilton after I know I'll receive a FNC but before it's issued?
Old Mar 28, 2023, 12:49 pm

Originally Posted by lkar

I really need to re-evaluate how I value these free nights. They have been causing more stress than joy lately. At $450, the Aspire is still a keeper, but this is frustrating.
Just an update. I was able to get an extension to 18 days. I called right before expiration and found a particularly friendly agent who was able to do it in conjunction with making the booking. So, there still appears to be some limited discretion here if you're close.
Old Apr 8, 2023, 2:46 pm

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Hilton free night rewards (amex certificates)

Hello everyone

A friend of mine who has Hilton Amex certificates is willing to use it for me and my wife's stay at one of the properties.

I was reading T/C and it has the following entry:

Just wanted to confirm here with the audience that it would be ok if a Hilton member designates someone else to stay and there will be no requirement for him/her to show up and stay at the same time.
Old Apr 19, 2023, 6:42 am

FNC hold using points

I am waiting on 2 FNC from credit card spend. Can I use Hilton honors points to book an award booking for 2 nights as a “hold”, then when i get my FNC, cancel the booking and quickly use the FNC to ensure I claim the now available room in the event all other availability has dried up?
Old Apr 19, 2023, 7:13 am

the answer is... depends on your risk level. Hilton agents dont have the ability to convert points stays to nights, so if you do it you will have two options.
Lets say you spend the points now to hold the room. When you receive the credits, if there is availability on your nights, your agent can reserve them with the nightly credits and cancel your points stay... no problem there. The other scenario is that when you receive the credits there is no longer award availability... in this case you can wait until some space opens up (depends on the property) or you can try to call up the agent and cancel your points reservation right (online) as they are about to search for availability. The issue is that sometimes space gets allotted back to inventory right away and sometimes it doesn't. If you're going to try this, I would be strategic about when I called so that no one is randomly searching space in the minutes between cancellation and re-booking it. (e.g. if its a US property, doing this around midnight or very early in the morning might be ideal so that you have less people searching. If you're trying for the Maldives, its harder since there's a wider variety of what time zones people are in). In general, if youre trying for something months in advance you have a better chance of availability EVENTUALLY opening up, but if this is for next month its riskier.
Old Apr 19, 2023, 7:30 am

Originally Posted by ECR12
the answer is... depends on your risk level. Hilton agents dont have the ability to convert points stays to nights, so if you do it you will have two options.
Lets say you spend the points now to hold the room. When you receive the credits, if there is availability on your nights, your agent can reserve them with the nightly credits and cancel your points stay... no problem there. The other scenario is that when you receive the credits there is no longer award availability... in this case you can wait until some space opens up (depends on the property) or you can try to call up the agent and cancel your points reservation right (online) as they are about to search for availability. The issue is that sometimes space gets allotted back to inventory right away and sometimes it doesn't. If you're going to try this, I would be strategic about when I called so that no one is randomly searching space in the minutes between cancellation and re-booking it. (e.g. if its a US property, doing this around midnight or very early in the morning might be ideal so that you have less people searching. If you're trying for the Maldives, its harder since there's a wider variety of what time zones people are in). In general, if youre trying for something months in advance you have a better chance of availability EVENTUALLY opening up, but if this is for next month its riskier.
thanks for the response. This is not the Maldives, but the Waileia beach resort, so still fills up fast. We are looking for a booking during March 2024. It is far enough out, but with spring break I’m expecting it will fill up fast and not open back up.
Old Apr 20, 2023, 6:55 am

Programs: Hilton Honors LT Diamond, Marriott Gold Delta Gold, Avis Preferred Plus,
Originally Posted by ECR12
That is exactly how it was explained to me when I tried to do the same thing. They said it is a risk, and probably a small one but they wanted me to know.
Old Apr 20, 2023, 7:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by Carpetchilli
thanks for the response. This is not the Maldives, but the Waileia beach resort, so still fills up fast. We are looking for a booking during March 2024. It is far enough out, but with spring break I’m expecting it will fill up fast and not open back up.
If you are going for sure, I wouldn't wait for the certificate. Those points redemptions can be hard to come by. Using the cert would be nice, and 110k points isn't idea, but it sure beats paying what they want in cash.
Old Apr 20, 2023, 7:54 am

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Originally Posted by Carpetchilli
Also remember if you're going for at least 5 nights - you can't use a certificate as part of the 5th night free, it has to be booked all with points.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.