Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Free Night Certificate Questions & Experiences" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 14, 2019, 8:27 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
Expiration: The 12 month expiration date on a certificate means you must reserve and complete the stay by the expiration date. You can't reserve something beyond the 12 month period. You can't extend the expiration date. (Some exceptions starting with this post.)

Eligible Dates: A certificate can be used for a Standard Room Award any day of the week. (Old policy limited them to Fri, Sat, Sun).

Other Notes:
  • If you earned a free night from a credit card and cancel the card, the free night certificate remains intact.
  • If you cancel a reservation made with a free night certificate, the certificate becomes available right away.
  • After making a reservation with a free night certificate, you'll get an email that says you booked a Standard Room Award. It will also show the points value, but no points will actually be deducted.
  • The free night from the Aspire card arrives by email within 2 months of being approved and anniversary date, and the free night from spend on the Aspire/Business/Surpass arrives within a week or sooner of reaching the spending threshold. This is irrespective of your card statement date. If you upgrade from another Hilton Amex to the Aspire, the free night may post more quickly.
  • Available, reserved and used certificates can be seen midway through the My Account page (https://www.hilton.com/en/hilton-hon...st/my-account/)
  • If you're waiting for a free night certificate to arrive, Hilton reps say it does not help to make a points reservation and then swap it later. The reason is they have to cancel the old points reservation one and make a new reservation. The old one can't just be edited to change the payment to a FNC.
Archived older notes:
  • From the Hilton email regarding a special 2020 policy on some certificates, "For all unexpired Weekend Night Rewards as of March 11, 2020, and all new ones issued until August 30, 2020, we are extending the expiration date through the end of next summer (August 31, 2021). There is no need for you to do anything, as your certificate(s) are being automatically updated in our systems. We hope this adjustment gives you some additional flexibility for your travels
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Free Night Certificate Questions & Experiences" thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2023, 7:50 pm

Programs: Delta, Hyatt-Plat, Priority Club-Plat, Hilton-Gold
Originally Posted by DiscoPapa
I’ve tried probably 4 times now for my 1/4 expiring Amex FNC (I think this is from the $8k spend promo) - no luck.
Ok, well 5th time is the charm!! I called again this morning and secured a 2 week extension without too much issue. Phew! Definitely a HUCA situation.
Old Jan 3, 2023, 10:41 am

Originally Posted by Eujeanie
I have no idea what you mean.

The poster has the $95AF Surpass card, where he has to charge $15K to get a FNC. How would downgrading to the no-fee Hilton Amex card (which is the only one below it to downgrade to) get him a second FNC?
You sign up for the card June 2023:
June 2023 - Dec 2023 - You spend $15,000 and get a FNC
January 2024 - May 2023 - You spend $15,000 and get a FNC

June 2024 you downgrade the card and pay no second annual fee. You have received 2 FNCs for 1 annual fee.
Old Jan 3, 2023, 1:06 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Originally Posted by Schnit
You sign up for the card June 2023:
June 2023 - Dec 2023 - You spend $15,000 and get a FNC
January 2024 - May 2023 - You spend $15,000 and get a FNC

June 2024 you downgrade the card and pay no second annual fee. You have received 2 FNCs for 1 annual fee.
I'm impressed.

However, wouldn't work for me. I'd have trouble charging $30K in a 12 month period (note I didn't say year). I have other cards with different benefits that I need to also put spend on. And my spend is not unlimited, unfortunately.

I also LIKE my Surpass card, and I'd want to be sure I could reapply (what's the language on getting the same card again?). I would hate to give it up for the sake of one FNC.

You'd also have to, as you point out, get the card in the middle of the year to have this work, many of us don't plan that way, we just get a card if we want it when we see a good SUB.

I'm basically not a churner, and I'm quite happy with the one FNC for the year, especially one I get for only $95 and can then use for $400-800 room (which has been my trend).
Old Jan 3, 2023, 2:04 pm

Originally Posted by Eujeanie
I'm impressed.

However, wouldn't work for me. I'd have trouble charging $30K in a 12 month period (note I didn't say year). I have other cards with different benefits that I need to also put spend on. And my spend is not unlimited, unfortunately.

I also LIKE my Surpass card, and I'd want to be sure I could reapply (what's the language on getting the same card again?). I would hate to give it up for the sake of one FNC.

You'd also have to, as you point out, get the card in the middle of the year to have this work, many of us don't plan that way, we just get a card if we want it when we see a good SUB.

I'm basically not a churner, and I'm quite happy with the one FNC for the year, especially one I get for only $95 and can then use for $400-800 room (which has been my trend).
As a side note I also have 2 Hilton business cards, so I do get multiple cards per year.

I had opened a Surpass card in 2020, and did the 2 FNC trick and downgraded it in 2021. I had a 15k charge for December 2022 so I upgraded it back. If I put some large charges on during Jan/Feb 2024 its possible for me to get 3 FNCs from this 1 AF. As I learned from this process, when you upgrade they retroactively count all spending from the year. So if you spend 15k in Jan-Nov, you can upgrade in December and still get the FNC.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2023, 5:43 pm

Originally Posted by cblaisd
If this answered elsewhere, forgive me. Re the Amex FNC that come with $15K spend: Is that spend annually (does it reset on January 1 to zero)? Or...?

Thanks!
For the Business Hilton (not familiar with the other cards), it is annual. Mine just reset back to $0.
Old Jan 6, 2023, 8:30 am

Using FNC and resort credit for family at Hilton properties

I have searched and haven’t seemed to find an answer to this question that isn’t 5+ years old.

I have two FNCs I’d like to book for two family members to stay in Sedona next month. I believe I can do this easily by booking and adding their names to the reservation which will allow them to check in without me present. Is that still correct?

I have an Aspire as well, and Bell Rock is eligible for the $250 resort credit. If I book using my Aspire for incidentals, will my family have any issues at check out? Can I pre approve this in any way prior to their trip?

Any advice would be wonderful, TIA!
Old Jan 9, 2023, 9:38 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP, Hilton Diamond
Absolutely no luck extending two (2) one-night Certificates due to expire January 15. Yes, they did the two week extension for me from December 31 but now I need just another 3 nights (need something Jan 16-18). I've tried the HUCA trick numerous time and Twitter DM all with no luck. I understand the rules, etc but I'm pretty irate. If anyone has any other suggestions at this point before they go to waste it would be appreciated. Thank you.
Old Jan 11, 2023, 5:51 pm

Programs: UA1k, Oneworld Sapphire, Hyatt Globalist, IHG DiamondAmb, Hilton Diamond, Marriott LTP,
I am Diamond and have a FNC expiring March, looking at using for a stay in April, how can I get my FN extended?
Old Jan 11, 2023, 5:57 pm

Originally Posted by navatwal
I am Diamond and have a FNC expiring March, looking at using for a stay in April, how can I get my FN extended?
Most data points are indicating that two week extension is the most you'll get.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2023, 6:05 pm

Originally Posted by mark diver
Absolutely no luck extending two (2) one-night Certificates due to expire January 15. Yes, they did the two week extension for me from December 31 but now I need just another 3 nights (need something Jan 16-18). I've tried the HUCA trick numerous time and Twitter DM all with no luck. I understand the rules, etc but I'm pretty irate. If anyone has any other suggestions at this point before they go to waste it would be appreciated. Thank you.
Sounds like you've done everything possible to get another extension. I ended gifting two of my FNCs in the past (mom lives in Maui so she was fine going to the Grand Wailea). I think hotels/airlines have extension "fatigue" at this point. I thought for sure I'd see some of my elite statuses extended or at least money offers to buy an extension.
mark diver likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2023, 6:48 pm

Extremely frustrated: I have a trip to book and my Certificate is not here yet.

Neither Hilton nor Amex know when my account will be credited are saying that the other has the info :/

Afraid that standard room availability will be gone by the time I actually receive it.

My annual fee was paid on December 5th.
Old Jan 11, 2023, 6:54 pm

Originally Posted by Eyefly123
Extremely frustrated: I have a trip to book and my Certificate is not here yet. Neither Hilton nor Amex know when my account will be credited are saying that the other has the info :/ Afraid that standard room availability will be gone by the time I actually receive it. My annual fee was paid on December 5th.
when is your account anniversary? December I assume? If so unfortunately this is completely normal. I've found that my certificates arrive 2-3 months following anniversary
Old Jan 11, 2023, 7:25 pm

Originally Posted by Sloflyer032
when is your account anniversary? December I assume? If so unfortunately this is completely normal. I've found that my certificates arrive 2-3 months following anniversary
Anniversary is November. By this time last year, I had already received it. Talk about inconsistency
Old Jan 12, 2023, 1:05 am

Lightbulb Online booking for AE certificate

Hi, I just want to suggest to Hilton representative here. Is it possible to ask your genius technical guys to let us make a reservation online for our American Express issued annual certificate? Now I can do everything online without calling the phone customer support. This is the only thing I can't do online. If you can resolve this, you will save tons of money on phone support.

I am thinking that every certificate has a number. So perhaps we can click point booking and enter that number in the special code area. But I don't know anything about your computer system. So this may not be do-able. But I am sure your computer geniuses can figure things out.
Eujeanie, Hawkeyefan and drthunder like this.
Old Jan 12, 2023, 6:41 am
Company Representative - Honors by Hilton

Programs: Hilton Honors
Originally Posted by pure12345
Hi, I just want to suggest to Hilton representative here. Is it possible to ask your genius technical guys to let us make a reservation online for our American Express issued annual certificate? Now I can do everything online without calling the phone customer support. This is the only thing I can't do online. If you can resolve this, you will save tons of money on phone support.

I am thinking that every certificate has a number. So perhaps we can click point booking and enter that number in the special code area. But I don't know anything about your computer system. So this may not be do-able. But I am sure your computer geniuses can figure things out.
More than happy to share your sentiments with the Honors team.

Best regards,

William
SPN Lifer and Hawkeyefan like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.