Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Free Night Certificate Questions & Experiences" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 14, 2019, 8:27 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
Expiration: The 12 month expiration date on a certificate means you must reserve and complete the stay by the expiration date. You can't reserve something beyond the 12 month period. You can't extend the expiration date. (Some exceptions starting with this post.)

Eligible Dates: A certificate can be used for a Standard Room Award any day of the week. (Old policy limited them to Fri, Sat, Sun).

Other Notes:
  • If you earned a free night from a credit card and cancel the card, the free night certificate remains intact.
  • If you cancel a reservation made with a free night certificate, the certificate becomes available right away.
  • After making a reservation with a free night certificate, you'll get an email that says you booked a Standard Room Award. It will also show the points value, but no points will actually be deducted.
  • The free night from the Aspire card arrives by email within 2 months of being approved and anniversary date, and the free night from spend on the Aspire/Business/Surpass arrives within a week or sooner of reaching the spending threshold. This is irrespective of your card statement date. If you upgrade from another Hilton Amex to the Aspire, the free night may post more quickly.
  • Available, reserved and used certificates can be seen midway through the My Account page (https://www.hilton.com/en/hilton-hon...st/my-account/)
  • If you're waiting for a free night certificate to arrive, Hilton reps say it does not help to make a points reservation and then swap it later. The reason is they have to cancel the old points reservation one and make a new reservation. The old one can't just be edited to change the payment to a FNC.
Archived older notes:
  • From the Hilton email regarding a special 2020 policy on some certificates, "For all unexpired Weekend Night Rewards as of March 11, 2020, and all new ones issued until August 30, 2020, we are extending the expiration date through the end of next summer (August 31, 2021). There is no need for you to do anything, as your certificate(s) are being automatically updated in our systems. We hope this adjustment gives you some additional flexibility for your travels
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Free Night Certificate Questions & Experiences" thread

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2022, 12:04 am

Question Phone Rep told me to use the second guest trick for FNC booking

Hello,
I had several AMEX FNCs which I wished to use to book the Conrad Singapore for my sons in a stay my I would not be attending. I asked a phone rep if this was possible as I recalled gifting FNCs in the past, the rep said yes and proceeded to book several nights in my name with one of my sons added as an additional guest, and I believe made a note that they would be checking in first.

I was led to believe from blogs that this was far less acceptable in Asian countries than the US and I'm concerned this could lead to problems at check in as I will not be there to provide ID. I'm not convinced this being the phone reps suggestion will save my sons at the front desk in such a scenario. I've also read a blog that said that while FNCs are transferable, once they're "issued" for a night they become untransferable.

Did I make a mistake in letting her complete the booking? Is there some way to correct it to be issued in my sons' names?
Old Jul 11, 2022, 1:48 pm

Okay, tricky situation here.

I have 4 nights booked with the free night certificates. We want to cancel just 1 of the nights and only go for 3 nights instead.

Standard rooms are no longer available. Rep says only way to modify the reservation is to cancel and re-book, but they can't do that because standard reward rooms are no longer available. Now I'm assuming once they cancel my first reservation that should make the standard room available again (the one I'm canceling), and they can then re-book. Is that accurate or could it possibly not show up as available after they cancel our 4 night stay, causing us to be out the entire reservation?
Old Jul 11, 2022, 1:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by Vcize
Okay, tricky situation here.

I have 4 nights booked with the free night certificates. We want to cancel just 1 of the nights and only go for 3 nights instead.

Standard rooms are no longer available. Rep says only way to modify the reservation is to cancel and re-book, but they can't do that because standard reward rooms are no longer available. Now I'm assuming once they cancel my first reservation that should make the standard room available again (the one I'm canceling), and they can then re-book. Is that accurate or could it possibly not show up as available after they cancel our 4 night stay, causing us to be out the entire reservation?
That could happen, but I don't think you can count on it.
IndyHoosier likes this.
Old Jul 11, 2022, 2:07 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Is the night you want to cancel the first one or the last one?
Old Jul 11, 2022, 6:35 pm

Originally Posted by Eujeanie
Is the night you want to cancel the first one or the last one?
The first night.
Old Jul 11, 2022, 7:03 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Originally Posted by Vcize
The first night.
Ugh. That could be a real problem. Have you called the hotel and asked for the favor? They may not be willing to give you the certificate back, but maybe they won't count you as a no-show and cancel the rest of your trip, which I'm sure they have the right to do. But sometimes the hotel itself has more leeway than reservations. I'd also try to track down the name of someone in charge and ask them nicely.

All they can do is say no, it's worth a try asking. Or they could be super nice and give the cert back. It might depend on how sympathetic a reason you have.
IndyHoosier likes this.
Old Jul 20, 2022, 5:45 pm

I understand that fee nights cannot be booked online. Can they be canceled online once booked? Thanks in advance.
Old Jul 20, 2022, 6:22 pm

Yes. I’ve done it and the cert appeared in my account again quickly.
Jetlagged Traveler likes this.
Old Jul 20, 2022, 6:26 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by Jetlagged Traveler
I understand that fee nights cannot be booked online. Can they be canceled online once booked? Thanks in advance.
Originally Posted by rrgg
Ditto. The reservation can also be changed online. I have done both within the past two months.
Jetlagged Traveler likes this.
Old Jul 26, 2022, 4:52 am

Originally Posted by rrgg
In a rare case it could take upto 24 hrs for the certificate to go back to your account. Happened to me last week.
Old Jul 27, 2022, 6:47 pm

Apologies if this has been asked already, but can you use the FNC (in combination with points or cash) to book a multi-night stay in cases where the standard room availability only shows up when booking multiple nights, not just one?
For example, suppose I want to book 6 nights (4 in points + 1 free + 1 FNC) at Conrad Maldives in November. If I search for 6 nights on the Hilton website, there is plenty of availability. However if I search for just 1 night, no standard room availability shows up on the price calendar. Would I be able to use the FNC in this case? Or does it require single-night availability to be used? Would the phone rep know to combine the points and FNC into a single 6-night booking?
Old Jul 31, 2022, 8:22 am

Originally Posted by travelcards
Apologies if this has been asked already, but can you use the FNC (in combination with points or cash) to book a multi-night stay in cases where the standard room availability only shows up when booking multiple nights, not just one?
For example, suppose I want to book 6 nights (4 in points + 1 free + 1 FNC) at Conrad Maldives in November. If I search for 6 nights on the Hilton website, there is plenty of availability. However if I search for just 1 night, no standard room availability shows up on the price calendar. Would I be able to use the FNC in this case? Or does it require single-night availability to be used? Would the phone rep know to combine the points and FNC into a single 6-night booking?

I am having this exact same issue, and I called Hilton. I want to combine a free night stay with a paid-for booking for a total of five nights. Because the standard room award was available only for five nights or more, I could not use the free night certificate even though I would be there for a total of five nights.
Old Jul 31, 2022, 8:40 am

Diamond desk was able to extend p2 cert 2 weeks for a late may booking, so while this is ymmv this courtesy seems consistent with other dp.
Old Jul 31, 2022, 12:59 pm

Originally Posted by dc10forlife
I am having this exact same issue, and I called Hilton. I want to combine a free night stay with a paid-for booking for a total of five nights. Because the standard room award was available only for five nights or more, I could not use the free night certificate even though I would be there for a total of five nights.
Just to clarify, was the paid portion of the booking already made when you tried to use the FNC, or were you asking the phone rep to book all 5 nights at once?
Old Jul 31, 2022, 1:53 pm

Originally Posted by travelcards
Just to clarify, was the paid portion of the booking already made when you tried to use the FNC, or were you asking the phone rep to book all 5 nights at once?
I was trying to book a new five night reservation, with one of the nights being used by a FNC. She said it was not possible.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.