Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Free Night Certificate Questions & Experiences" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 14, 2019, 8:27 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
Expiration: The 12 month expiration date on a certificate means you must reserve and complete the stay by the expiration date. You can't reserve something beyond the 12 month period. You can't extend the expiration date. (Some exceptions starting with this post.)

Eligible Dates: A certificate can be used for a Standard Room Award any day of the week. (Old policy limited them to Fri, Sat, Sun).

Other Notes:
  • If you earned a free night from a credit card and cancel the card, the free night certificate remains intact.
  • If you cancel a reservation made with a free night certificate, the certificate becomes available right away.
  • After making a reservation with a free night certificate, you'll get an email that says you booked a Standard Room Award. It will also show the points value, but no points will actually be deducted.
  • The free night from the Aspire card arrives by email within 2 months of being approved and anniversary date, and the free night from spend on the Aspire/Business/Surpass arrives within a week or sooner of reaching the spending threshold. This is irrespective of your card statement date. If you upgrade from another Hilton Amex to the Aspire, the free night may post more quickly.
  • Available, reserved and used certificates can be seen midway through the My Account page (https://www.hilton.com/en/hilton-hon...st/my-account/)
  • If you're waiting for a free night certificate to arrive, Hilton reps say it does not help to make a points reservation and then swap it later. The reason is they have to cancel the old points reservation one and make a new reservation. The old one can't just be edited to change the payment to a FNC.
Archived older notes:
  • From the Hilton email regarding a special 2020 policy on some certificates, "For all unexpired Weekend Night Rewards as of March 11, 2020, and all new ones issued until August 30, 2020, we are extending the expiration date through the end of next summer (August 31, 2021). There is no need for you to do anything, as your certificate(s) are being automatically updated in our systems. We hope this adjustment gives you some additional flexibility for your travels
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Free Night Certificate Questions & Experiences" thread

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2022, 2:03 pm

Originally Posted by dc10forlife
I was trying to book a new five night reservation, with one of the nights being used by a FNC. She said it was not possible.
Ah ok. Bummer...
Old Aug 1, 2022, 1:13 am

Originally Posted by travelcards
can you use the FNC (in combination with points or cash) to book a multi-night stay in cases where the standard room availability only shows up when booking multiple nights, not just one?
For example, suppose I want to book 6 nights (4 in points + 1 free + 1 FNC)
Originally Posted by dc10forlife
I was trying to book a new five night reservation, with one of the nights being used by a FNC. She said it was not possible.
I think there are three different issues getting mixed together in this series of posts.
1. Combining paid nights on the same reservation as an FNC: Not possible.
2. Combining points nights on the same reservation with an FNC (because of a minimum stay requirement, or for any other reason): Totally possible, I promise you, because I’ve done it. But many phone reps don’t know how or insist it can’t be done so be prepared to HUACA.
3. Combining a 5th night free points reservation with an FNC: This might not be possible but I haven’t tried it personally.
Old Aug 1, 2022, 2:59 pm

Originally Posted by _kurt
I think there are three different issues getting mixed together in this series of posts.
1. Combining paid nights on the same reservation as an FNC: Not possible.
2. Combining points nights on the same reservation with an FNC (because of a minimum stay requirement, or for any other reason): Totally possible, I promise you, because I’ve done it. But many phone reps don’t know how or insist it can’t be done so be prepared to HUACA.
3. Combining a 5th night free points reservation with an FNC: This might not be possible but I haven’t tried it personally.
Interesting, thanks for the info. Just to be sure, when you say "minimum stay requirement", are you talking about this issue of the standard room availability not showing up unless you are looking for some minimum number of nights?
If so, do you know if a FNC night can be added to an existing points reservation, in a case where there isn't single-night availability?
Old Aug 1, 2022, 3:13 pm

Originally Posted by travelcards
Interesting, thanks for the info. Just to be sure, when you say "minimum stay requirement", are you talking about this issue of the standard room availability not showing up unless you are looking for some minimum number of nights?
If so, do you know if a FNC night can be added to an existing points reservation, in a case where there isn't single-night availability?
I believe they are referring to the issue that if you want to book 6 nights at a hotel that has a 5 night minimum stay, you cannot combine the 5th night free with the 1 night certificate
Old Aug 1, 2022, 4:29 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Originally Posted by Schnit
I believe they are referring to the issue that if you want to book 6 nights at a hotel that has a 5 night minimum stay, you cannot combine the 5th night free with the 1 night certificate
That doesn't really make any sense. You book 4 nights with points, 5th night free. Full Stop. For the 6th night you use a certificate, booked separately.
Old Aug 2, 2022, 6:02 am

Originally Posted by Eujeanie
That doesn't really make any sense. You book 4 nights with points, 5th night free. Full Stop. For the 6th night you use a certificate, booked separately.
But you cannot book a 1 night stay at a place that has a minimum more than 1 night stay, so it cannot be booked separately. 1 night < 5 night minimum
Old Aug 2, 2022, 6:55 am

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Originally Posted by Schnit
But you cannot book a 1 night stay at a place that has a minimum more than 1 night stay, so it cannot be booked separately. 1 night < 5 night minimum
Ok, now I understand.

But since you're really booking 6 nights, I would call and ask the hotel. Minimum stay requirements don't always work out perfectly for the hotel, there are gaps, so the "5 night" rule is not hard and fast, and the hotel can open up a night for a booking. Central Res or even the DD can't/won't do it, but the hotel can.
Old Aug 2, 2022, 8:49 am

I have never encountered a 5-night minimum. But yes, late last year I stayed at a resort where standard rooms (or any rooms actually) only showed up when you searched for at least a 2 or 3 night stay. The Diamond line agent was able to combine two nights on points and one FNC into the same reservation. There was no need to contact the property directly although I guess that is an option too.

As for modifying an existing reservation, travelcards, I think you will only be able to do that if there is still standard room availability for all of the nights.
Old Aug 5, 2022, 7:19 pm

just wondering there would be any issues with my reservation due to a rep's error.

I booked a 6 night stay at a hotel using 3 FN certificates and points. However, it seems like I was given the 5th night free. Should I call back Hilton and bring this up? Don't want to have any issues when arriving at the hotel.
Old Aug 5, 2022, 7:21 pm

Programs: Jose Cuervo Gold, Bud Light Platinum, Schwab 401K, VW Bug 2MM
anyone able to book two rooms for the same night with the certs?
Old Aug 5, 2022, 11:37 pm
DC9

Programs: QF Platinum, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by atojbk
just wondering there would be any issues with my reservation due to a rep's error.

I booked a 6 night stay at a hotel using 3 FN certificates and points. However, it seems like I was given the 5th night free. Should I call back Hilton and bring this up? Don't want to have any issues when arriving at the hotel.
I would just bring a printed copy of the reservation confirmation on check-in, in any case.
SPN Lifer and atojbk like this.
Old Aug 7, 2022, 9:09 am

Just called to book Conrad Maldives Rangali with Points + 5 free 1 + FNC
Checked on Hilton website, the water villa standard room is available to book with points when I selected 6 nights, but when I changed to 5 nights, only the beach villa is available for standard room.
Called Hilton Diamond line and the rep told me that I can't use FNC at this property as it only redeemable at 100k points value.
I told the rep this is on in T&C, he talked to the manager and offered 2 separate reservation for 3 + 3 nights, on points + FNC, but only beach villa.

Anyone know any a way to work around this ?
Old Aug 8, 2022, 12:18 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond
AMEX FN Cert and Points Earning

Apologies if I missed the answer while browsing this thread. I used my AMEX Aspire FN cert last week and unclear about points earning for dining, incidental fee and MyWay bonus point option. Points initially posted for dining, late check-out fee and the MyWay bonus selection to my Honors account. I checked today and the points for the single night stay using the AMEX FN cert now list as zero.

I found this in the T&C - Members will not earn Points or promotional miles for hotel stays redeemed with a Marketing Partner's discount/free certificate (e.g. frequent flyer award or travel award), unless otherwise stated on the certificate. Members will not earn Points or promotional miles for incidental charges during hotel stays redeemed with a Marketing Partner's discount/free certificate unless otherwise stated on the certificate.

Can someone provide clarification if AMEX FN cert earns points before I file missing points request following the mandatory timeframe.
Old Aug 9, 2022, 10:53 am

Originally Posted by doctajay
Apologies if I missed the answer while browsing this thread. I used my AMEX Aspire FN cert last week and unclear about points earning for dining, incidental fee and MyWay bonus point option. Points initially posted for dining, late check-out fee and the MyWay bonus selection to my Honors account. I checked today and the points for the single night stay using the AMEX FN cert now list as zero.
You should absolutely still earn points on all of those things on a free night, just like on a points stay. However, Hilton’s website is sometimes… not great. Is your total points balance still correct even though the stay is showing as 0 points?
Old Aug 14, 2022, 2:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
If I make a reservation with an FNC and want to change the date of the reservation, can I call either Hilton or the hotel to make the change? Will I need to cancel the reservation and make a new reservation? Wiki said FNCs immediately go back to the account, but I have no experience with this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.