Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Free Night Certificate Questions & Experiences" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 14, 2019, 8:27 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
Expiration: The 12 month expiration date on a certificate means you must reserve and complete the stay by the expiration date. You can't reserve something beyond the 12 month period. You can't extend the expiration date. (Some exceptions starting with this post.)

Eligible Dates: A certificate can be used for a Standard Room Award any day of the week. (Old policy limited them to Fri, Sat, Sun).

Other Notes:
  • If you earned a free night from a credit card and cancel the card, the free night certificate remains intact.
  • If you cancel a reservation made with a free night certificate, the certificate becomes available right away.
  • After making a reservation with a free night certificate, you'll get an email that says you booked a Standard Room Award. It will also show the points value, but no points will actually be deducted.
  • The free night from the Aspire card arrives by email within 2 months of being approved and anniversary date, and the free night from spend on the Aspire/Business/Surpass arrives within a week or sooner of reaching the spending threshold. This is irrespective of your card statement date. If you upgrade from another Hilton Amex to the Aspire, the free night may post more quickly.
  • Available, reserved and used certificates can be seen midway through the My Account page (https://www.hilton.com/en/hilton-hon...st/my-account/)
  • If you're waiting for a free night certificate to arrive, Hilton reps say it does not help to make a points reservation and then swap it later. The reason is they have to cancel the old points reservation one and make a new reservation. The old one can't just be edited to change the payment to a FNC.
Archived older notes:
  • From the Hilton email regarding a special 2020 policy on some certificates, "For all unexpired Weekend Night Rewards as of March 11, 2020, and all new ones issued until August 30, 2020, we are extending the expiration date through the end of next summer (August 31, 2021). There is no need for you to do anything, as your certificate(s) are being automatically updated in our systems. We hope this adjustment gives you some additional flexibility for your travels
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Free Night Certificate Questions & Experiences" thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2023, 12:52 pm

Originally Posted by craigthemif
Essentially the fifth night free works out as a 20% discount across the five nights, especially now that award pricing is more dynamic. So you are merely replacing one of those five nights with a FNC. (what you aren't doing is replacing one of the four full-price nights and still getting a free night)
In other words...5th night free is not actually 5th night free, its 4 nights smoothed over 5 nights. You are then using the certificate to offset one of those 5 nights?
SPN Lifer and birdiedouble like this.
Old Jan 30, 2023, 2:40 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, HGVC, WN RR, National Exec, Avis Preferred
I don't usually link to myself to avoid breaking any FT rules. LOL.

Essentially the fifth night free works out as a 20% discount across the five nights, especially now that award pricing is more dynamic. So you are merely replacing one of those five nights with a FNC. (what you aren't doing is replacing one of the four full-price nights and still getting a free night)
I thought you might be the author of that article and I googled your numbers to find out where they came from. I still don't follow your explanation. To book the 5 nights you are still paying 95,000 x 4, which gets you the 5th night free without using a certificate. Why use a FNC for a night you are getting free through using the 4 nights worth of points already?
Old Jan 30, 2023, 4:47 pm

Originally Posted by birdiedouble
I thought you might be the author of that article and I googled your numbers to find out where they came from. I still don't follow your explanation. To book the 5 nights you are still paying 95,000 x 4, which gets you the 5th night free without using a certificate. Why use a FNC for a night you are getting free through using the 4 nights worth of points already?
I believe what is being said is that 5th night free is not really that. They take the cost of 4 nights and spread it over 5 nights.

76,000 * 5 = 380,000
95,000 * 4 = 380,000

So if you used the FNC, you will would use 76,000 points for 4 nights (308,000 total), and 1 FNC.

Correct me if I am wrong
SPN Lifer and craigthemif like this.
Old Jan 30, 2023, 4:52 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Originally Posted by Schnit
I believe what is being said is that 5th night free is not really that. They take the cost of 4 nights and spread it over 5 nights.

76,000 * 5 = 380,000
95,000 * 4 = 380,000

So if you used the FNC, you will would use 76,000 points for 4 nights (308,000 total), and 1 FNC.

Correct me if I am wrong
But I don't think they let you. I'm sure I've read that the 4 nights have to be completely covered by points alone to get the 5th night free. You could then book a 6th night using a FNC, but I don't think you can do what's being said on this thread.
Old Jan 30, 2023, 5:29 pm

Benefits and Member Tiers with Hilton Honors

This is from the Hilton website. Similar explanations are on Points Guy, etc.

What I didn't realize was that you had to have elite status, just Silver or above so no biggie, and it also could only be a standard room.
Old Jan 31, 2023, 4:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by birdiedouble

76,000 * 5 = 380,000
95,000 * 4 = 380,000

Correct me if I am wrong
This is how I understood it to work. Unpublished benefit...
Old Jan 31, 2023, 5:50 am

Originally Posted by Eujeanie
But I don't think they let you. I'm sure I've read that the 4 nights have to be completely covered by points alone to get the 5th night free. You could then book a 6th night using a FNC, but I don't think you can do what's being said on this thread.
My understanding from above, unless I am mistaken, you book it online, and then call and ask one night to be switched to a FNC...I could be wrong however
Old Jan 31, 2023, 8:30 am

Programs: UA Silver, Hilton HHonors Diamond, IHG Plat
I'd simply like the FNC to be able to be booked online. Too much to ask? Even IHG does that for peats sake.
Old Jan 31, 2023, 8:37 am

deleted

Last edited by rrgg; Jan 31, 2023 at 4:35 pm
Old Jan 31, 2023, 9:13 am

My understanding from above, unless I am mistaken, you book it online, and then call and ask one night to be switched to a FNC...I could be wrong however
Like everything, if you get an agent willing to do it that's great, but I was just pointing out what the policy was so no one really expected it and then was disappointed.
Old Jan 31, 2023, 3:12 pm

Programs: $9 Fare Club
Originally Posted by LukFilm
I really lucked out with my FNC. It was expiring on 2/8/23 and they gave me a 2-week extension which enabled me to book one night at WA Maldives with one day to spare I booked three more with FNCs as well.
How did that work in practice? Call them up and they booked it for you?

Have a 2/12 expiry I now have a need to use on 2/28.
Old Jan 31, 2023, 4:49 pm

Actually you can (or you could). However it requires a call to Hilton.

Based on how the maths works, you get less value from the FNC than using it on a stand-alone night.

For example...
From the way you worded this, have you actually done it? Did you book 5 nights using FNC and points and received the 5th night "free" (meaning less than the normal points rate)?

I have a 5-night stay in 2 reservations. 1st reservation is 1 night w/cash. 2nd reservation is 4 nights with FNCs and points. Night 2 is now sold out, but if that changes I might ask.

Contrary to what Eujeanie said, for what it's worth a HH rep told me not to book with points and then call to swap an FNC. It was more than a year ago, but she said the FNC will be a new reservation and you risk not getting the room back.

Last edited by rrgg; Jan 31, 2023 at 5:37 pm
Old Jan 31, 2023, 5:08 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond
The points used for a reservation cannot be swapped with a FNC. I believe in the past it could be done, but not anymore. Now, the agent will check that a room can booked using the FNC as a new reservation and then, if so, confirm you want to cancel the original reservation booked with points.
birdiedouble likes this.
Old Feb 1, 2023, 10:21 am

Originally Posted by Eyefly123
Anniversary is November. By this time last year, I had already received it. Talk about inconsistency
Did you eventually receive it? My certificate is also late, albeit by only 2 days. But I am depending on it for a reservation I need to make in less than a week. It had arrived on the same day for the previous 3 years.
Old Feb 1, 2023, 10:29 am

Anniversary is in November. Received it in December the last two years. February 1st and still nothing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.