Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Free Night Certificate Questions & Experiences" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 14, 2019, 8:27 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
Expiration: The 12 month expiration date on a certificate means you must reserve and complete the stay by the expiration date. You can't reserve something beyond the 12 month period. You can't extend the expiration date. (Some exceptions starting with this post.)

Eligible Dates: A certificate can be used for a Standard Room Award any day of the week. (Old policy limited them to Fri, Sat, Sun).

Other Notes:
  • If you earned a free night from a credit card and cancel the card, the free night certificate remains intact.
  • If you cancel a reservation made with a free night certificate, the certificate becomes available right away.
  • After making a reservation with a free night certificate, you'll get an email that says you booked a Standard Room Award. It will also show the points value, but no points will actually be deducted.
  • The free night from the Aspire card arrives by email within 2 months of being approved and anniversary date, and the free night from spend on the Aspire/Business/Surpass arrives within a week or sooner of reaching the spending threshold. This is irrespective of your card statement date. If you upgrade from another Hilton Amex to the Aspire, the free night may post more quickly.
  • Available, reserved and used certificates can be seen midway through the My Account page (https://www.hilton.com/en/hilton-hon...st/my-account/)
  • If you're waiting for a free night certificate to arrive, Hilton reps say it does not help to make a points reservation and then swap it later. The reason is they have to cancel the old points reservation one and make a new reservation. The old one can't just be edited to change the payment to a FNC.
Archived older notes:
  • From the Hilton email regarding a special 2020 policy on some certificates, "For all unexpired Weekend Night Rewards as of March 11, 2020, and all new ones issued until August 30, 2020, we are extending the expiration date through the end of next summer (August 31, 2021). There is no need for you to do anything, as your certificate(s) are being automatically updated in our systems. We hope this adjustment gives you some additional flexibility for your travels
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Free Night Certificate Questions & Experiences" thread

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2023, 6:05 pm
DC9

Programs: QF Platinum, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Eujeanie

WHEN will I get this certificate?
Sometime in this month, based on my past experience (i.e., about 2-plus months is usual for me)..

I keep an eye on it posting in my HHonors account in case I miss the email.

Patience Grasshopper
dragoncsl likes this.

Last edited by DC9; Mar 1, 2023 at 6:11 pm
Old Mar 1, 2023, 7:10 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Originally Posted by DC9
Sometime in this month, based on my past experience (i.e., about 2-plus months is usual for me)..

I keep an eye on it posting in my HHonors account in case I miss the email.

Patience Grasshopper
I check every day. Maybe I should stop doing that. Watched pot and all. I wouldn't care if I didn't need it for a stay next month. Amex has done some nice things for me lately but this is just really frustrating.
dragoncsl likes this.
Old Mar 1, 2023, 7:28 pm

Programs: Hilton credit card Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
WHEN will I get this certificate?
My card anniversary is in mid January. The AF billing date is February 1, and my certificate usually arrives in early April.
I have had the card 5 years, the certificate has arrived 3/26, 4/3, 4/1, 4/4, and 4/5.
Based on my experience, I predict is that you will have the certificate by 3/7.
dragoncsl likes this.
Old Mar 3, 2023, 2:47 pm

Does anyone have experience with two free night certificates being used on back-to-back nights under different names? As in, I book one night under my name/account with a certificate and my fiancee books one under her name/account with a certificate - is there a way to link these reservations or at the very least keep the same room?
Old Mar 3, 2023, 2:59 pm

Originally Posted by Zolor23
Does anyone have experience with two free night certificates being used on back-to-back nights under different names? As in, I book one night under my name/account with a certificate and my fiancee books one under her name/account with a certificate - is there a way to link these reservations or at the very least keep the same room?
done it a number of times, if the property is domestic call the hotel and ask to be transfered to the front desk and they will place a room block for the remaining nights, if it's international I email.
SPN Lifer and Zolor23 like this.
Old Mar 4, 2023, 1:17 pm

Originally Posted by Beachchaser
done it a number of times, if the property is domestic call the hotel and ask to be transfered to the front desk and they will place a room block for the remaining nights, if it's international I email.
Thanks - does that mean I call after making both reservations and they can essentially take one room out of circulation for to be ours on both nights?
Old Mar 4, 2023, 1:23 pm

Thanks - does that mean I call after making both reservations and they can essentially take one room out of circulation for to be ours on both nights?
They place a note on your resevation, it's mostly for the rooms controller to ensure they don't upgrade part of your stay and you have ti change rooms, I wouldn't imagine an issue with the same room type for all nights.
Zolor23 likes this.
Old Mar 4, 2023, 1:24 pm

Originally Posted by Beachchaser
They place a note on your resevation, it's mostly for the rooms controller to ensure they don't upgrade part of your stay and you have ti change rooms, I wouldn't imagine an issue with the same room type for all nights.
Thanks, very helpful!
Old Mar 4, 2023, 1:25 pm

Since with Hilton you have to call to make the reservations anyway, why not just tell the agent what you want to do?...."we're using two certificates in 2 different names for 2 consecutive nights, can you have them hooked together so we don't have to change rooms?"
_kurt likes this.
Old Mar 4, 2023, 3:36 pm

Since with Hilton you have to call to make the reservations anyway, why not just tell the agent what you want to do?...."we're using two certificates in 2 different names for 2 consecutive nights, can you have them hooked together so we don't have to change rooms?"
Good point - I'm used to Marriott so forgot I had to call in to book anyway.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Mar 6, 2023, 7:45 am

Originally Posted by jbeckett
My card anniversary is in mid January. The AF billing date is February 1, and my certificate usually arrives in early April.
I have had the card 5 years, the certificate has arrived 3/26, 4/3, 4/1, 4/4, and 4/5.
Based on my experience, I predict is that you will have the certificate by 3/7.
You may be exactly right. This morning, the 6th, got the "It's Coming" e-mail.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2023, 8:16 pm

transferring/extending/ points conversion a free night certificate March 2023 onward

Are there resent DP on extending or transferring the Amex free night certificates?

Does Hilton ever allow conversion of a free night award to points?

The T&C on transfers are ambigious.
One says "non transferable" and another says transferable after redemption

Recent Data Points would be most appreciate.
Thanks
Old Mar 17, 2023, 1:10 pm

Programs: American, Delta, Southwest, Alaska
I was under the impression I just had to book the 35K free night by the expiration date. Like airline certs, you just need to use by date of expiration even though travel is in advance. Well, found out the hard way that's not true and customer service was adamant and would not offer me any alternatives. Anyone have any luck with extending these? My cert expires today on lucky St. Pat's day.
Old Mar 17, 2023, 1:18 pm

Sorry you didn't see the "use by" policy is in the wiki at the top.

Officially they won't extend the expiration date, but if you call with a specific property and date, they will sometimes reserve it. It worked for me as diamond, but it must depend on the agent or other factor. Lots of people have been turned down. Maybe try again late at night or a different time of day.
57skibird likes this.
Old Mar 17, 2023, 2:06 pm

Programs: American, Delta, Southwest, Alaska
I googled and found on FrequentMiler.com how people got extensions on their free night certs. I called Marriott again and got lucky on St. Pat's Day. They gave me an extension and booked me a free night! Yay!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.