Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Free Night Certificate Questions & Experiences" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 14, 2019, 8:27 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
Expiration: The 12 month expiration date on a certificate means you must reserve and complete the stay by the expiration date. You can't reserve something beyond the 12 month period. You can't extend the expiration date. (Some exceptions starting with this post.)

Eligible Dates: A certificate can be used for a Standard Room Award any day of the week. (Old policy limited them to Fri, Sat, Sun).

Other Notes:
  • If you earned a free night from a credit card and cancel the card, the free night certificate remains intact.
  • If you cancel a reservation made with a free night certificate, the certificate becomes available right away.
  • After making a reservation with a free night certificate, you'll get an email that says you booked a Standard Room Award. It will also show the points value, but no points will actually be deducted.
  • The free night from the Aspire card arrives by email within 2 months of being approved and anniversary date, and the free night from spend on the Aspire/Business/Surpass arrives within a week or sooner of reaching the spending threshold. This is irrespective of your card statement date. If you upgrade from another Hilton Amex to the Aspire, the free night may post more quickly.
  • Available, reserved and used certificates can be seen midway through the My Account page (https://www.hilton.com/en/hilton-hon...st/my-account/)
  • If you're waiting for a free night certificate to arrive, Hilton reps say it does not help to make a points reservation and then swap it later. The reason is they have to cancel the old points reservation one and make a new reservation. The old one can't just be edited to change the payment to a FNC.
Archived older notes:
  • From the Hilton email regarding a special 2020 policy on some certificates, "For all unexpired Weekend Night Rewards as of March 11, 2020, and all new ones issued until August 30, 2020, we are extending the expiration date through the end of next summer (August 31, 2021). There is no need for you to do anything, as your certificate(s) are being automatically updated in our systems. We hope this adjustment gives you some additional flexibility for your travels
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Free Night Certificate Questions & Experiences" thread

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2019, 10:30 pm

how long does it take to get the free night certificate? My wife got her new Aspire card 3 weeks back ...I am hoping it comes in next few days..
Old Aug 8, 2019, 10:33 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro | Hyatt Globalist | HH Diamond | SPG Gold
took almost 4 weeks after AF posted. Completed Minimum spend within 30 days. I know they aren't related but I had the bonus well before the Night Cert
MNSWEEps likes this.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 11:31 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Amb, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz PC, AA Plat Pro
DP:
Upgraded Ascend to Aspire June 13th
Received Weekend Night Email August 8th
Redemption code posted to my account August 9th
MNSWEEps likes this.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 4:11 pm

Programs: Delta Silver, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond, Ex-UA Gold, Ex-AA Gold , Ex-SPG Gold, Peon everywhere else
Any recent DP's on how long it takes AMEX to award the Ascend/Surpass free night cert after meeting the $15k spend threshold. I am literally $85 short of the $15k but really need the certifcate to be good through the end of 2020.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 5:45 pm

Mine posted in under a week of passing $15,000.
Old Aug 24, 2019, 12:39 am

Programs: Delta Silver, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond, Ex-UA Gold, Ex-AA Gold , Ex-SPG Gold, Peon everywhere else
Originally Posted by rrgg
Mine posted in under a week of passing $15,000.
Thanks for the DP.
Old Aug 24, 2019, 12:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Signed up for the Ascend earlier this year when I got annoyed with Bonvoy and wanted to fast track to Diamond (as a Marriott Titanium). Was pleased to use the free weekend night certificate for a trip to Japan that we have planned for this upcoming March at the Conrad Osaka (95k points/night) and the other two nights covered by points (mostly from getting the card) -- awesome redemption since rack rates are $700+
Old Aug 27, 2019, 8:05 am

Programs: United Premier Plat, Hyatt Diamond
I was checking around the benefits section of my Aspire card and it shows I have a free night certificate issued back in February. I could have sworn I used this in April or May 2019, but I could be confusing myself. Does the benefits page update (like it does with airline fee reimbursements) or is it just static and it could be showing me a certificate number I've already used? Anyway short of calling in to find out (I'm mostly deaf so calling in can be difficult unless I reach a very clear speaking CSR)?
Old Aug 27, 2019, 10:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by eknock007
Any recent DP's on how long it takes AMEX to award the Ascend/Surpass free night cert after meeting the $15k spend threshold. I am literally $85 short of the $15k but really need the certifcate to be good through the end of 2020.
Within days.
Old Aug 31, 2019, 2:14 pm

Programs: Delta Sky Miles Silver, United Mileage Plus Silver, Hilton Honors Diamond
I have a weekend certificate that expires in November but my account comes up for the Annual Fee in September. I am going to cancel the Aspire card as my husband also has one. Does anyone know if you have to have an active Hilton Aspire Amex account when you actually use your certificate? I only have about 15 days before my account will renew so I was hoping to not waste the certificate. I looked through the T&Cs and didn't see anything stating that your Amex Aspire account must be in an open status when you use the certificate. Any feedback would be appreciated.
Old Sep 1, 2019, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chapmanj9
I have a weekend certificate that expires in November but my account comes up for the Annual Fee in September. I am going to cancel the Aspire card as my husband also has one. Does anyone know if you have to have an active Hilton Aspire Amex account when you actually use your certificate? I only have about 15 days before my account will renew so I was hoping to not waste the certificate. I looked through the T&Cs and didn't see anything stating that your Amex Aspire account must be in an open status when you use the certificate. Any feedback would be appreciated.
First of all, be very careful of when you close it (or even downgrade it), because Amex may block you from future sign-up offers if you do it "wrong". See these threads for more:

Amex USA terms now penalize:abuse,misuse,gaming;1st yr downgrade/close;leaked offers.

Amex (USA) restricts bonus based on number of accounts opened/closed (June 2018)

As to your original question, does your free night info even say anywhere that it was earned on an Aspire card? Mine doesn't even mention Amex at all that I can see! And there are different ways to earn free night awards (including spend on other cards). So I don't see how Hilton would even know for sure that it came from an Aspire card, plus whether Hilton would know whether that card was still open.
chapmanj9 likes this.
Old Sep 2, 2019, 5:03 pm

Originally Posted by FlyingBear
Went ahead and called in. For anyone doing changes in the future, make sure the agent cancels the original reservation first. That puts the cert back into your account. Then create a brand new booking. First agent I called didn't do that, so I had to call back to get it resolved.
I really got burned on this. I had a stay booked on a cert and called in to have it updated (move the stay to the prior weekend). Was very explicit with my instructions. After my stay, I come to find out that the reservation agent booked an entirely new reservation -- using my points -- instead of the cert. (Keep in mind that when using a cert, the points "look" like they get deducted from your account even though they don't actually deduct. This is why I probably overlooked the error in the first place).
So now I'm left with a certificate that expires soon with no immediate real travel plans. I called into the Hilton Honors line and they simply said there's nothing they can do about it. So they screw up and somehow I have to pay the price? An absolutely absurd customer service response.
I then filed a complaint using their online system and was given a ticket number. They stated that they'd "contact the hotel on my behalf." Um, this wasn't the hotels fault at all. This was the hilton booking agent through-and-through.
Anyone been through this type of situation? Any suggestions?
Old Sep 5, 2019, 12:44 pm

I'd try twitter- seems people get better results.
Old Sep 7, 2019, 8:23 pm

Issue resolved - apologies.

Last edited by spunkyt83; Sep 7, 2019 at 8:41 pm Reason: Error
Old Sep 13, 2019, 1:12 pm

Applied on 7/17 and approved. When should I expect my free weekend night certificate? Thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.