Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Free Night Certificate Questions & Experiences" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 14, 2019, 8:27 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
Expiration: The 12 month expiration date on a certificate means you must reserve and complete the stay by the expiration date. You can't reserve something beyond the 12 month period. You can't extend the expiration date. (Some exceptions starting with this post.)

Eligible Dates: A certificate can be used for a Standard Room Award any day of the week. (Old policy limited them to Fri, Sat, Sun).

Other Notes:
  • If you earned a free night from a credit card and cancel the card, the free night certificate remains intact.
  • If you cancel a reservation made with a free night certificate, the certificate becomes available right away.
  • After making a reservation with a free night certificate, you'll get an email that says you booked a Standard Room Award. It will also show the points value, but no points will actually be deducted.
  • The free night from the Aspire card arrives by email within 2 months of being approved and anniversary date, and the free night from spend on the Aspire/Business/Surpass arrives within a week or sooner of reaching the spending threshold. This is irrespective of your card statement date. If you upgrade from another Hilton Amex to the Aspire, the free night may post more quickly.
  • Available, reserved and used certificates can be seen midway through the My Account page (https://www.hilton.com/en/hilton-hon...st/my-account/)
  • If you're waiting for a free night certificate to arrive, Hilton reps say it does not help to make a points reservation and then swap it later. The reason is they have to cancel the old points reservation one and make a new reservation. The old one can't just be edited to change the payment to a FNC.
Archived older notes:
  • From the Hilton email regarding a special 2020 policy on some certificates, "For all unexpired Weekend Night Rewards as of March 11, 2020, and all new ones issued until August 30, 2020, we are extending the expiration date through the end of next summer (August 31, 2021). There is no need for you to do anything, as your certificate(s) are being automatically updated in our systems. We hope this adjustment gives you some additional flexibility for your travels
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Free Night Certificate Questions & Experiences" thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2020, 2:27 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hilton Honors
Originally Posted by tkelvin69
Did you check your account and make sure points weren't deducted?
No points were deducted. I am just worried that the hotel will not honor this reservation because the certificate was used on a weekday.
Old Jan 16, 2020, 10:06 am

Programs: AS; Hyatt Globalist; Hilton Gold; NEXUS
Generally speaking, what is the best way to logistically use the certificate for stays longer than a night? Should I book the paid portion online and then call to redeem the free night? Book both over the phone? Is there any way to avoid a check out/check in dance in the middle?
Old Jan 16, 2020, 1:44 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, HGVC, WN RR, National Exec, Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by sullim4
Generally speaking, what is the best way to logistically use the certificate for stays longer than a night? Should I book the paid portion online and then call to redeem the free night? Book both over the phone? Is there any way to avoid a check out/check in dance in the middle?
I'll generally look to make sure the Standard award is available for the night I want to use the certificate for and see what the cash rates are for that same type for the other nights I want to pay cash. If I can find the same room type for both nights, I will book the cash rates online and then call in to get the same room type for the certificate night. When you check in the first night you can tell them that you have an additional night in the same room type and they should be leave you in the same room. You may need to go back to the FD to get a new key on the am that the reservations crossover.
sullim4 likes this.
Old Jan 16, 2020, 1:46 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, HGVC, WN RR, National Exec, Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by ben1233
Yeah, in the last couple of days I did phone in. They said the hotel would be unable to do any sort of switching. Ho-hum. Guess I will need a short weekend run to Chicago or something between now and the certificates expiration!
I meant did you call the 800# to see if they could help you out in light of the previous error and make an adjustment on the existing reservation for the Standard night.
Old Jan 17, 2020, 5:14 pm

Booking for another person

I have seen this question asked on this thread but never answered. Does anyone have experience using their weekend cert for a friend or family member?
Old Jan 24, 2020, 12:09 pm

Anyone know if a Hilton agent can book two certificates together for a hotel that is blocking single night standard awards but allows for two nights?

UPDATE: Yes, the diamond desk is able to accomplish this (unlike Hyatt, in my experience).
italdesign likes this.

Last edited by trouble747; Jan 25, 2020 at 11:22 am
Old Jan 25, 2020, 12:13 am

Originally Posted by trouble747
Anyone know if a Hilton agent can book two certificates together for a hotel that is blocking single night standard awards but allows for two nights?
calling the diamond desk is probably your best bet
trouble747 likes this.
Old Jan 26, 2020, 5:11 pm

Programs: MileagePlus, Amex MR, Chase UR
Min 3 nights with Free Night Certificate?

I am having a very similar issue except I'm trying to book 2 nights with cash and then the 3rd night with the free night certificate, on a hotel with a 3 night min. I am told it's impossible to do that, even by the Diamond desk. Has anyone had any success doing this that could give some advice? Apparently the only way to do it is to do the entire thing with points only, but the point value is terrible on this hotel so I really rather save my points for a better redemption...
Old Mar 14, 2020, 2:31 pm

Some certificates are being extended:

For all unexpired Weekend Night Rewards as of March 11, 2020, and all new ones issued until August 30, 2020, we are extending the expiration date through the end of next summer (August 31, 2021). There is no need for you to do anything, as your certificate(s) are being automatically updated in our systems.

We hope this adjustment gives you some additional flexibility for your travels.“
bitterproffit and DC9 like this.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 2:50 pm

Location: SoCal; DO-RAGS: Old Gold tagged, PIP, LatPass 1/2, AA 4MM, HH LT Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, Omni
Yesterday AMEX emailed nine times gushing about my free Hilton weekender. I’m eagerly awaiting all nine certs to populate my account.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 2:57 pm

Programs: HH Diamond
I just got the email extending weekend certs. I really appreciated it. My plan to use it fell through. It was a proactive move by Hilton.
allset2travel likes this.
Old Mar 16, 2020, 9:23 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
Originally Posted by bitterproffit
I just got the email extending weekend certs. I really appreciated it. My plan to use it fell through. It was a proactive move by Hilton.
That is cool!
Have not yet received my email.
Old Mar 17, 2020, 8:23 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, UA 1K, BA Gold, AF Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriot Plat
Got the extension to Aug 2021 email for both the wife and my HHonors account as well this past Saturday. As of this morning Tuesday EST, called the diamond desk and our existing certs still all have their original unchanged expiration dates (Mar 2020, May 2020, Aug 2020, Sep 2020). If anyone has their actual expiration dates changed to Aug 2021 please share your datapoint cheers

Originally Posted by Jailer
Yesterday AMEX emailed nine times gushing about my free Hilton weekender. I’m eagerly awaiting all nine certs to populate my account.
how in the world do you get 9 certs? the most I can think of is 2 concurrently if you hold the aspire card (1 renewal year + 1 spending over $60K in calendar year)
​​​​​
Old Mar 17, 2020, 8:36 am

Location: SoCal; DO-RAGS: Old Gold tagged, PIP, LatPass 1/2, AA 4MM, HH LT Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, Omni
Originally Posted by ultrasoul
Got the extension to Aug 2021 email for both the wife and my HHonors account as well this past Saturday. As of this morning Tuesday EST, called the diamond desk and our existing certs still all have their original unchanged expiration dates (Mar 2020, May 2020, Aug 2020, Sep 2020). If anyone has their actual expiration dates changed to Aug 2021 please share your datapoint cheers

how in the world do you get 9 certs? the most I can think of is 2 concurrently if you hold the aspire card (1 renewal year + 1 spending over $60K in calendar year)
​​​​​
I’m sure it’s an email glitch, I have no expectations of having more than one cert hitting my account.
milesforhire likes this.
Old Mar 17, 2020, 10:53 am

Programs: AA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Special Policy This Year: Hilton is automatically extending the expiration date to Aug. 31, 2021 "For all unexpired Weekend Night Rewards as of March 11, 2020, and all new ones issued until August 30, 2020."
Is there an easy way to verify this online/digitally? I don't want to clog up their phone lines for people who are in need.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.