FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Consolidated "Free Night Certificate Questions & Experiences" thread
Old Sep 1, 2019, 12:55 pm
sdsearch
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chapmanj9
I have a weekend certificate that expires in November but my account comes up for the Annual Fee in September. I am going to cancel the Aspire card as my husband also has one. Does anyone know if you have to have an active Hilton Aspire Amex account when you actually use your certificate? I only have about 15 days before my account will renew so I was hoping to not waste the certificate. I looked through the T&Cs and didn't see anything stating that your Amex Aspire account must be in an open status when you use the certificate. Any feedback would be appreciated.
First of all, be very careful of when you close it (or even downgrade it), because Amex may block you from future sign-up offers if you do it "wrong". See these threads for more:

Amex USA terms now penalize:abuse,misuse,gaming;1st yr downgrade/close;leaked offers.

Amex (USA) restricts bonus based on number of accounts opened/closed (June 2018)

As to your original question, does your free night info even say anywhere that it was earned on an Aspire card? Mine doesn't even mention Amex at all that I can see! And there are different ways to earn free night awards (including spend on other cards). So I don't see how Hilton would even know for sure that it came from an Aspire card, plus whether Hilton would know whether that card was still open.