Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Free Night Certificate Questions & Experiences" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 14, 2019, 8:27 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
Expiration: The 12 month expiration date on a certificate means you must reserve and complete the stay by the expiration date. You can't reserve something beyond the 12 month period. You can't extend the expiration date. (Some exceptions starting with this post.)

Eligible Dates: A certificate can be used for a Standard Room Award any day of the week. (Old policy limited them to Fri, Sat, Sun).

Other Notes:
  • If you earned a free night from a credit card and cancel the card, the free night certificate remains intact.
  • If you cancel a reservation made with a free night certificate, the certificate becomes available right away.
  • After making a reservation with a free night certificate, you'll get an email that says you booked a Standard Room Award. It will also show the points value, but no points will actually be deducted.
  • The free night from the Aspire card arrives by email within 2 months of being approved and anniversary date, and the free night from spend on the Aspire/Business/Surpass arrives within a week or sooner of reaching the spending threshold. This is irrespective of your card statement date. If you upgrade from another Hilton Amex to the Aspire, the free night may post more quickly.
  • Available, reserved and used certificates can be seen midway through the My Account page (https://www.hilton.com/en/hilton-hon...st/my-account/)
  • If you're waiting for a free night certificate to arrive, Hilton reps say it does not help to make a points reservation and then swap it later. The reason is they have to cancel the old points reservation one and make a new reservation. The old one can't just be edited to change the payment to a FNC.
Archived older notes:
  • From the Hilton email regarding a special 2020 policy on some certificates, "For all unexpired Weekend Night Rewards as of March 11, 2020, and all new ones issued until August 30, 2020, we are extending the expiration date through the end of next summer (August 31, 2021). There is no need for you to do anything, as your certificate(s) are being automatically updated in our systems. We hope this adjustment gives you some additional flexibility for your travels
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Free Night Certificate Questions & Experiences" thread

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2019, 1:28 am
jxd

Originally Posted by klew97
Certificate expires in October, so Aug/Sept trip only places to use it are Christchurch, Perth, Sydney, or Melbourne. What do you think? Looks like most expensive would be West Curio or Hilton Sydney.
Probably a waste to use it at any of these properties. Their going rates are often less than US$200. If you really wanna use it then use it at the Hilton Sydney. Melbourne and christchurch only has doubletrees.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 5:25 am

Programs: AA, US, WN, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by klew97
Certificate expires in October, so Aug/Sept trip only places to use it are Christchurch, Perth, Sydney, or Melbourne. What do you think? Looks like most expensive would be West Curio or Hilton Sydney.
Disregard price and use it to stay in the property that suits you best.
Westcoaster likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 6:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by mendezka
That's exactly what she told me. She said she attempted to book it on the Monday night & it wouldn't go through. And yea, it's not ideal. I guess I'll just use the Free night on my stopover in Hong Kong instead of at the Maldives like I wanted. Good value either way, I would just prefer to use it at the resort.

I'm sure everyone has the exact same complaint, it's weird that they only allow weekend nights for redemption of this. I was naive to think it was just a clever marketing idea or something and not actually only to be used on the weekends. I would think resorts value weekends higher than weekdays?? I'm sure there is a logistical reason for this. I just can't think of it off the top of my head.
They are letting you redeem it for any hotel but on weekends (with a generous definition of weekend to boot) only. That is actually quite generous, and, I imagine, works quite well for most people. I certainly beats the 35k or less I get from Marriott in my opinion.
I imagine the reason for weekends only, is that those are lower occupancy nights in the more expensive hotels in large cities.
mendezka likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 6:59 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GundamWing01
any DP here about when the aspire annual CC free night arrives? im into week 11 and im still waiting after AF posted. last year also took 11 weeks after sign up. dont know why it takes over 2 months. totally ridic.
Not Hilton, but my Marriott AF posted in February and my certificate arrived April 4. I'm guessing this may be similar since they are both AmEx. I think they want to make sure you pay the AF before you get your free night.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 7:28 am

any DP here about when the aspire annual CC free night arrives? im into week 11 and im still waiting after AF posted. last year also took 11 weeks after sign up. dont know why it takes over 2 months. totally ridic.
I'm about two months into the wait myself. Funny though my tax payment on Monday pushed me over $15k spending ln my ascend and I received the email today saying I earned the free night.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 7:35 am

Originally Posted by mendezka

I'm sure everyone has the exact same complaint, it's weird that they only allow weekend nights for redemption of this. I was naive to think it was just a clever marketing idea or something and not actually only to be used on the weekends. I would think resorts value weekends higher than weekdays?? I'm sure there is a logistical reason for this. I just can't think of it off the top of my head.
Actually I am perfectly fine with the requirement that weekend nights be used on weekends. Also ok that the resort credit be used at a resort and the airline credit being used for airline spending.

Seems lately that many people who agreed to terms and conditions decide later that they are inconvenient.
iskingolf, Eujeanie and Smrtmom1 like this.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 10:17 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BrlDsguise
I'm about two months into the wait myself. Funny though my tax payment on Monday pushed me over $15k spending ln my ascend and I received the email today saying I earned the free night.
Yep. That one comes almost immediately. That's why I believe the wait is intentional by AmEx to make sure you pay your AF and can't get it refunded.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 10:48 am

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, AAdvantage, Southwest, HHonors, National
Originally Posted by Smrtmom1
As a secondary question to this thread...I have 2 separate free weekend night certs (from my AMEX). Can they be used together? Can I use them added on to stays using points? Thanks in advance!!
They can be used together and in conjunction with points. I'd advise to do it over the phone with a CSR, so that both are linked under one reservation. It hasn't happened to me but I've heard of instances where the hotel assigned different rooms to each of the cash/points & certificate reservations.
Smrtmom1 likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 12:46 pm

Originally Posted by Cledaybuck
Not Hilton, but my Marriott AF posted in February and my certificate arrived April 4. I'm guessing this may be similar since they are both AmEx. I think they want to make sure you pay the AF before you get your free night.
appreciate the DPs. glad its not just me. so easy to forget all these annual free benefits. calendar reminders all over the place.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 12:52 pm

Actually I am perfectly fine with the requirement that weekend nights be used on weekends. Also ok that the resort credit be used at a resort and the airline credit being used for airline spending.

Seems lately that many people who agreed to terms and conditions decide later that they are inconvenient.
Yeah, one would think that the best value to use the free night would be at a resort on vacation, which one normally would include a weekend. I guess people have different travel plans.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 1:30 pm

Programs: AA, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Wyndham Diamond
Originally Posted by Gradfly
They can be used together and in conjunction with points. I'd advise to do it over the phone with a CSR, so that both are linked under one reservation. It hasn't happened to me but I've heard of instances where the hotel assigned different rooms to each of the cash/points & certificate reservations.
Thank you!!! I will do this.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 6:08 am

Originally Posted by Cledaybuck
Yep. That one comes almost immediately. That's why I believe the wait is intentional by AmEx to make sure you pay your AF and can't get it refunded.
My experience has been that American Express gives you a prorated refund of your annual fee when you cancel a card. Since the airline and resort credit more than pay my annual fee I don't intend to try it.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 11:23 am

I'm in no way implying that I'm not fine with it being a requirement, simply stated that I thought it was interesting from their perspective to only allow these on the weekends. I like many other people, naively, don't read terms & conditions. It's completely my fault & I don't expect anything from Hilton or any other corporation because I fail to do a due diligence. Being said, I can agree to anything & still complain it's inconvenient for me at that time.... In this case, I want to take a 6 day trip, Wed-Tuesday (flights booked already, so I'm not able to change dates). I wanted to use 4 nights on points 5th night free, then utilize the free weekend certificate to stay for 6 nights. However, due to my Wed-Tuesday travel, it is impossible to do so as the points booking must be 5 consecutive nights. For me this was extremely inconvenient & surprisingly Hilton agreed & compensated me without me asking for anything.

I reached out to twitter support, explained my predicament. They credited me 40,000 points to help pay for the 6th night on points & I got to keep my free weekend night. I further took advantage of the double points promotion & purchased the remaining 50k points needed for that 6th night for $250. However someone wants to spin it, someone at Hilton agreed it is a weird policy & they helped me out immensely with it. I think we can all agree that Hilton, nor any corp, would never willingly hand out 40k points if there wasn't some basis in my complaint.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 3:37 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, BA Silver
Just to confirm, is it still 100% the policy that not only must the stay be booked by the cert expiry date, but it also must be completed by that date? I have one expiring in early May so I need to complete the stay by then?
Old Apr 25, 2019, 11:50 pm

appreciate the DPs. glad its not just me. so easy to forget all these annual free benefits. calendar reminders all over the place.
Same boat here - waiting for the weekend night cert from the first anniversary. I was expecting it a few days ago, based on the date I received it last year. But I haven't even received the first of the two emails about it yet. Out of curiosity, when was your card anniversary date? And, perhaps more importantly, when did your second year AF post? I'm now more than 30 days since my second year AF posted, but still nothing...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.