Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE 2018 to 2019] Waldorf Astoria Maldives Ithaafushi {MDV}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE 2018 to 2019] Waldorf Astoria Maldives Ithaafushi {MDV}

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2019, 11:25 pm

I really wanted to stay at Waldorf but as family of 4(kids under 12) we will pay to much for official transfer.
I prefer to fly to Bora Bora and stay there cost will be the same for us even it's much longer trip from London.
Kids should have transfer for free ...
Old Aug 10, 2019, 12:13 am

I am planning on staying at the WA next year. But with taking upgrade costs, 860$ speedboat transfers, overpriced food, and activities into consideration for 3 people. I think I will cancel my stay with WA, and instead stay with Lux* North Male Atoll for about 940$ a night. They get great reviews. And rooms are huge! -Large living area and bedroom -1.5 bathrooms -Upstairs area -reasonably priced food -CHEAPER transfer cost -Better lagoon -Reliable (in terms of service atm).
Old Aug 10, 2019, 12:37 am

Originally Posted by hoyt
Sounds like they admitted changing their policy. They can't change their policy to a mandatory transfer after you make a reservation, and certainly not after the cancellation policy.
Exactly.

Originally Posted by hoyt
I arrive within the cancellation window and am in the same situation as you. I will not back down on this.
^^^

Originally Posted by BLTraveler
I intend on doing so when I return home next week. I flew down to the Maldives an evangelical fan of Hilton only to get kicked in the face when I got here. I’m feeling pretty stupid convincing all my friends and coworkers to stay with Hilton..
Yup, and kicking a Diamond member in the face. That's disgusting. Make them pay!

Originally Posted by iluvdoco
A couple new (and very negative) reviews of the WA are up on TripAdvisor.
Yeah, we know who Michael M is. They are no doubt going to get more once @BLTraveler gets behind the keyboard, LOL.
It's interesting as at the moment there are no 4s, only 15 5s and 5 3s or less. And of the 15 that are 5s, 6 are from accounts that are new with only 1 contribution.
Old Aug 10, 2019, 12:44 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LTG, IHG Platinum
Another really negative review on TA by member named feras titled "below our expecation and terrible resort".
@Traveler Dave, we had the Ithaafushi Princess inbound and left with Nirvana, the latter was definitely a downgrade imo.
Old Aug 10, 2019, 1:04 am

Originally Posted by Garimi
I really wanted to stay at Waldorf but as family of 4(kids under 12) we will pay to much for official transfer.
I prefer to fly to Bora Bora and stay there cost will be the same for us even it's much longer trip from London.
Kids should have transfer for free ...
Check with the hotel. We were quoted a discounted rate for our 10 year old

TD
Old Aug 10, 2019, 1:09 am

Originally Posted by gav0106
I think it is very telling that management is quick to respond to positive reviews on Trip Advisor, but seem to ignore the negative ones.
On average they are taking at least 2, sometimes up to 5 or 6 days to reply to reviews, both positive and negative, with one exception - the Chinese review. It looks like it took a week or more to reply to that one. No doubt they will respond to the latest 2 negative reviews in a day or two.

S**t, I can't believe I'm defending them again. MF slaps himself. Well, at least I'm not biased. Credit is given where it's due and taking the pees is done when it's needed.

Last edited by MaldivesFreak; Aug 10, 2019 at 3:53 pm Reason: Typo
Old Aug 10, 2019, 1:19 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Originally Posted by NYC_1
One aspect I’m curious about is whether the full overwater villa is “worth” the extra cost. Our reef villa is approximately 1/2 over water as it is, including our deck. Only the front 12 feet of the villa is on land.
What's your takeaway?
Old Aug 10, 2019, 1:23 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Regarding the service issues, I think it's entirely appropriate for anybody to bring them up and to comment on them. That's how they will improve. Not that it's an excuse, but I would also add that going to a resort like this shortly after it opens, some service issues should have been expected, and if someone expected a flawless stay then it's a setup for disappointment. If I keep reading service breakdowns one year after opening then I will be worried, but for now in my book the hotel is not a well oiled machine yet, perhaps it's more defective than some guests would have hoped for, but I am not convinced it's a rock solid reason to discard the resort altogether unless you have a stay coming up in a couple of weeks. I guess everyone will make their own decisions based on their priorities.
Old Aug 10, 2019, 2:36 am

Originally Posted by Traveler Dave

Check with the hotel. We were quoted a discounted rate for our 10 year old

TD
yes 50% price of adult so traveling 2+2 we should pay like for 3 adults ....its just boat trasfer flight to rangali its much cheaper
Old Aug 10, 2019, 6:55 am

Loving WA Maldives!

Been to Conrad Rangali and I must say it looks small in comparison to WA Maldives. Loving the island life in a designer luxe, breathtakingly gorgeous, spacious piece of heaven. Check out my instagram for photo updates!
Old Aug 10, 2019, 7:04 am

Programs: OW Emerald - HH Diamond
This is funny.
Old Aug 10, 2019, 8:10 am

Here's what I'm hoping will happen with the whole transfer fiasco. With enough guest push back and negative reviews (hopefully from some big name/influential vloggers as well), they will have to revisit the cost of the transfer and/or allowing 3rd party transfers. I'd be happy with a tiered transfer where you can choose between speedboat or yacht at different price points. They have a few options to still make a profit and not piss people off like they are now.
Old Aug 10, 2019, 9:23 am

Originally Posted by Traveler Dave

Just my opinion, but having stayed there for 10 days I would say you made a bad call. The hard and soft product are amazing. Perfect? No. I have been to several 5* resorts. None have been perfect.

TD
I'm going to save my points for a return trip to Conrad BB. Having hit both Rangali and Conrad BB, I appreciate what Bora Bora has to offer, as well as the ability to self cater my party supplies. Shame though it is much easier to get to the Maldives from LAX than it is to PPT.
Old Aug 10, 2019, 11:43 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by brodielayne
Shame though it is much easier to get to the Maldives from LAX than it is to PPT.
Eh?
Old Aug 10, 2019, 12:07 pm

Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
Eh?
Originally Posted by brodielayne
I'm going to save my points for a return trip to Conrad BB. Having hit both Rangali and Conrad BB, I appreciate what Bora Bora has to offer, as well as the ability to self cater my party supplies. Shame though it is much easier to get to the Maldives from LAX than it is to PPT.
My wife actually likes BB better than Maldives for some of that same reasons you mention. As they say, happy wife happy life, so going back to Conrad BB next Summer. 2021 we will be back to the WA....hopefully. I wish they would build a WA in BB!

I do do agree the 8 hour flight from LAX-PPT and a puddle jumper to BOB is much better than 20+ air to MLE.

TD

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.