Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE 2018 to 2019] Waldorf Astoria Maldives Ithaafushi {MDV}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE 2018 to 2019] Waldorf Astoria Maldives Ithaafushi {MDV}

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2019, 8:49 pm

Not sure when they added the following. But this is now posted on the website. Though is it buried on the Policy page most (including myself) never read.

It is interesting that they list it as per way. If they are not going to allow any private docking ever person will need round trip. So why list it as each way and not just as a single transfer (to and from) cost?

Transfer Charge
A shared transfer on the resort's yacht is US $350 subject to 23.2% tax and service charge per adult per way from Velana International Airport. This charge will be added to your total bill.

Waiting time prior to the transfer may vary from 30-60 minutes as the transfer is combined with other guests. We appreciate your understanding.

Alternatively, a private transfer is available upon request, kindly contact reservations at [email protected] for the transfer charges.

Please note that due to privacy and safety reasons, resort does not permit outside boats for transfers.

Last edited by Traveler Dave; Aug 8, 2019 at 9:31 pm
Old Aug 8, 2019, 11:06 pm

Originally Posted by Traveler Dave
I am no “rich dude”, our boat we chartered was no “mega yacht”, we stayed 10 nights on points/voucher and they let our tender dock with no issues.

So as all things in life YMMV

That just shows you they are setting double standards. It's not as if this is a situation where a particular staff member is acting against their policy, their policy being let everyone come in however they want. To date everything has been the total opposite for common folks trying to arrange a transfer. So this is what we know so far;
* If you are a pleb (no $) - Diamond or otherwise: screw you and your speedboat transfer! We'll even be as compassionate as to offer you a refund of your points a day before you are due to check in. And hey, that's pretty damn compassionate, after all, it is the Maldives - you can just stay at a hotel in Male for your 2-week visit. There are a ton of them and lots of availability!
* If you have a chartered yacht (appear to be affluent): we'll allow you to dock. Note: for the clapping hands welcome amenity, we roll a 20-sided die and if you get a '1' you'll have won the privilege to experience it
* If you're a rich Arab with your own yacht (very affluent): you'll receive a very warm welcome with clapping hands where you get your own space at the dock (provided it's small enough that it can sail into the shallow waters of the lagoon)

Last edited by MaldivesFreak; Aug 9, 2019 at 12:28 am Reason: Edited to reflect TD's 'luck of the draw' ;-)
Old Aug 8, 2019, 11:19 pm

Originally Posted by MaldivesFreak
If you're a rich Arab with your own yacht: you'll receive a very warm welcome with clapping hands where you get your own space at the dock (provided it can actually sail into the shallow waters of the lagoon)
You can add one more DP. I’m a middle-class American with a rented boat who also received the clapping hands.

TD
Old Aug 8, 2019, 11:20 pm

A few more ridiculous experiences last night and this morning and we are ready to leave.

Last edited by NYC_1; Aug 8, 2019 at 11:26 pm
Old Aug 8, 2019, 11:27 pm

Privacy?

Old Aug 8, 2019, 11:42 pm

Originally Posted by NYC_1
Privacy?

Unless the Paparazzi are on that boat trying get a shot with you and Justin Bieber I am guessing your privacy is secure.

TD
Old Aug 8, 2019, 11:54 pm

Programs: KF, MPC, BAEC // Bonvoy, WoH, Honors
Reading some of the bizarre accounts in this thread we are strongly considering to cancel our stay. It is in April next year so we won't touch it for now -- hopefully these issues will be ironed out over the next six months or so. And perhaps they'll lower the insane transfer cost by then as well...
Old Aug 9, 2019, 12:23 am

You can add one more DP. I’m a middle-class American with a rented boat who also received the clapping hands.
Edited to reflect the clapping hands welcome amenity you were so fortunate to have experienced. God that is just so silly. It's what you'd expect for scared 4 year-olds arriving for their second day of kindergarden. "It's OK kiddies. Don't be scared. You're gonna have a great time (in the treetops at Terra). Yaaaayyyyy!!"

Originally Posted by brodielayne
The more I read about the resort the less I want to go. The hard product looks outstanding, however the BS just keeps adding up, especially with the outrageous transfer expectation. Glad I cancelled my stay........
Just my opinion, but having stayed there for 10 days I would say you made a bad call. The hard and soft product are amazing. Perfect? No. I have been to several 5* resorts. None have been perfect.
Again, it's not about the hard product or even the service given, it's about the attitude of management and the people who are going to be making money off of her.

Deja vu.....I posted a similar post saying almost exactly the same thing a month or two ago.

Last edited by MaldivesFreak; Aug 9, 2019 at 12:33 am
Old Aug 9, 2019, 12:25 am

Paparazzi on a rubbish boat? Oh wait.....that does make sense. LMAO!
Old Aug 9, 2019, 12:52 am

Programs: M&M SEN (*G), HH Diamond
It is interesting that they list it as per way. If they are not going to allow any private docking ever person will need round trip. So why list it as each way and not just as a single transfer (to and from) cost?
Because some (many, most?) will stop reading at "A shared transfer on the resort's yacht is US $350", which sounds much better than "... is $862.40".
Old Aug 9, 2019, 2:04 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
While I think the hotel is making a bad decision in doing this, let’s not pretend to act as if having issues with ignoring the standard transfer to cut some costs wasn’t pretty obviously going to cause people some element of stess and/ or outright problems.
I assumed the risk of 3rd party transfer was them being late, not showing up, or showing up in some sort of row boat. Never would I have imagined the resort on such short notice would tell me to pretty much f*** off.

I would say saving $1,100 dollars is a bit more than “cutting some costs”. $1,100 could book a week long cruise with a balcony with all food included.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 2:30 am

Originally Posted by goliath
Because some (many, most?) will stop reading at "A shared transfer on the resort's yacht is US $350", which sounds much better than "... is $862.40".
Do any other resorts try to get cute and list the transfer price one way per person plus tax?

For those trying to calculate the transfer cost, I created the below algorithm:

Transfer Cost = ((($350*W) *110%)*112%)*P
W=# of ways
P=# of people
Transfer Cost = Haha sucker

What is funny is the Holiday Inn is 15km further from Male than the Waldorf and they list the round trip transfer cost inclusive taxes at $229USD. They also allow 3rd party transfer since so many people complain about how high the transfer cost is haha. What I could not find out of the 1,700 reviews was anyone complaining about their privacy being infringed from a 3rd party boat.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 3:06 am

Originally Posted by MaldivesFreak
Niiiice!

And like I said before, they could have made a concerted effort not to appear like the greedy so and sos that we now know they are, but no. This stinks and is akin to royalty refusing entry of a rich peasant into their castle. "Eeewww, no. We don't wan't him!"

Just to make it perfectly clear for folks reading this thread, @BLTraveler isn't less worthy than anyone else, it's just an example of how he is being treated.
@MaldivesFreak, you are probably right that me trying to swim ashore would have been great viral YouTube video. I had all the camera equipment haha. I did consider just showing up, but knowing this resort, they either would have turned me back or made up some other “arrival fee”. This fee in reality is just like a country club golf fee, paying money just to get into some high society club. However, I’ve been to Waldorf properties before and it seems way off brand for them to be acting like Augusta National.

I’m surprise Maldivian Laws allow this kind of restriction since it prevents money from getting to the local economy and instead goes to some foreign corporation.

Update to my situation: After Hilton calling and emailing the resort for about ten hours to try and get the resort to process the refund, the Manager sent me a “generous” offer. Since, I already paid $600 for the nonrefundable transfer to the resort, if I just paid Waldorf an additional $1,100 dollars, they would pick me
up/drop off in Male. Mind you, my plan was to go to a nearby resort after the Waldorf and that I already requested the refund 10 hours earlier. I declined the offer after a good laugh. After frustratingly refreshing my email every 5 minutes for 10 hours for an update, the last place on earth I wanted to be was at the Waldorf. Both Waldorf and Hilton accused each other of not answering phone or emails haha.

At about 12 hours of anxiously waiting for the points to refund, I finally received enough points to book at the Conrad until my next reservation. However, they had issues refunding the 2 weekend certs I used which caused me to have to use my points instead. Certs finally got refunded today but they expire soon and I won’t be able to use them before expiration. I asked if Hilton if they could swap certs for points on the Conrad booking and they said it was not possible.

Losses form this experience:
-$614 non refundable transfer
- 2 weekend certs unused that will expire
- One full day in the Maldives staring a phone trying to resolve situation.

Other tidbits:
- They said they used to allow 3rd party transfers but guests complained about their “privacy”. Pretty sure this is a lie and guests were instead complaining that they paid 300% more for their transfer.
- Waldorf said they will look into contacting guests sooner and adding info to the website clearly stating prices and transfer restriction. Good idea, but hopefully it shows up prominently during the booking process on the website and mobile app.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 6:33 am

Programs: MAR Titanium, HH Gold
Jesus... it was extremely difficult to switch my booking from Conrad to Waldorf for a weekly stay in late Feb. But now I feel I might need to switch back with great risk to lose both of them...!
Old Aug 9, 2019, 7:39 am

Originally Posted by noeatbutgo
Jesus... it was extremely difficult to switch my booking from Conrad to Waldorf for a weekly stay in late Feb. But now I feel I might need to switch back with great risk to lose both of them...!
I feel like I've never seen the CMRI not have award availability, and if I have, it's rare. It's like that resort was built to function as a points sink.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.