Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE to 2015] Conrad Bali {IDN}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE to 2015] Conrad Bali {IDN}

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2011, 5:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Conrad Bali review: Fantastic hotel, suites section and management

I'm very belatedly getting around to posting a review of the wonderful stay that my wife and I had at the Conrad Bali back in late August/early September 2010. At the risk of repeating myself from another recent review (of the Beach House Maldives) in which I praised a Hilton's management, the title of this review reflects my impression that the quality of the resort starts at the top, with the General Manager Michael Burchett and the Resident Manager Matthew Hill. Both before and during our stay, they ensured that our visit was a memorable one. But much more importantly, they supervise a superb staff, the quality of which of course is due to the staff members themselves but also to the management.

Anyway, we were there for a combination of paid and award nights, and perhaps partly due to my Diamond status got a complimentary upgrade to the Conrad Suites section of the resort. For better or worse, this review is mainly about that section rather than the overall hotel. Well, actually for better, in that we explored so (relatively) little because we were so happy with that section. (Folks should not necessarily expect an upgrade to the Suites section, however--we got lucky, but unless paying for it you can ruin your own vacation if you assume the upgrade will come through.)

The suite itself was great. Very roomy bedroom, bathroom and living room areas, with a nice balcony overlooking the Suites section's pool. (We were on the top floor, which I believe is the fourth floor.) We probably would have spent some time on the balcony, but the pool area was so wonderful and the perks that come with staying in the Suites area so nice, that we were downstairs most of the time.

As indicated, we were overlooking the pool. I believe there are also suites closer to the ocean, so that from your balcony you can get a at least a partial view of the water. (And there are units facing the water, but they would certainly cost more and would not be part of a complimentary upgrade.) As much as I like the best view possible, though, we were fine with the view looking over the tops of buildings in the resort and being right near the pool, where we spent most of our time.

As I believe others have described, the pool is ringed by perhaps a dozen or so bales (a new term for my limited vacation vocabulary), which are large, cushioned day beds shaded from the sun and perfectly suited for a couple hanging out between dips in the water. There might have been one or two days when the available bales were just on one side of the pool, more exposed to the sun, but for the most part we had our pick. And the pool itself was never crowded, either. Often, we were the only folks in it.

A big reason we spent so much time in just the Suites area of the resort is the wonderful, complimentary perks included with staying there. (Or at least I think they come with staying there...while we were likely upgraded because of our Diamond status, I believe but am not certain that what I'm about to describe comes from staying in this section rather than from the Diamond status, per se.) Great breakfast buffet choices in an indoor/outdoor dining area by the pool. Then mid afternoon (something like 3-5 p.m.???), small snacks and tea in that same area. Then early evening cocktail hour (5-7 p.m.???), with great drinks and more snacks in the lovely indoor/outdoor upstairs lounge overlooking the pool. Cocktail hour was the only part of the day for which we kept track of time, in that we liked to arrive near the start so we could get and recline in one of the very comfortable day beds by the balcony.

I must return to the staff, though, because they really merit extra mention. A great combination of service, efficiency and friendliness. Together with the aforementioned fantastic aspects of the Suites section, they made our stay truly special.

The only other thing I'd add about the Suites section is that I had to do a bit of work and finish writing a report while there, and even in that unfortunate respect the room and the hotel was great. For the day or so that I needed to work on the paper, it was great to be perched out on the balcony with a very good wireless internet connection.

As for the rest of the resort, it looked great to the extent we checked it out. Beautiful grounds, great pool. A good number of bales overlooking the beach--it looked to me that there were always at least a few available most or all of the day. When we finally roused ourselves to go beyond the Suites section, hanging out in one of those bales at sunset was wonderful.

The only thing I would caution folks about regarding the hotel (and Bali more generally) is that the beach itself is not great. Oh, you can still have a wonderful tropical beach vacation in terms of the beautiful setting, the bales or lounge chairs to relax on, nice views, etc. But it's brownish sand and, when the tide goes out, the shore is kind of rocky and strewn with seaweed. It might be slightly better further up the beach at other hotels (to the right, as you're facing the water). But still not on par with Thailand, the Caribbean, the South Pacific and many other tropical destinations. And the difference between the beach at the Conrad and the other hotels is not so great that I'd consider those other places instead of the Conrad were we to go back to Bali.

Getting beyond the hotel, we took a couple of late afternoon walks up the beach (again, to the right as you're facing the water) and I took an early morning walk of 2-3 miles each way in that direction almost every day, along a paved path for a good part of the stretch. (I also took one morning walk in the other direction, but found it less interesting.) There is a nice, friendly little place to eat just beyond the hotel. Not far past that, if I recall correctly, there's a short stretch where a large, defunct hotel is...not dangerous, but walking at night there you might want to bring a small flashlight. Then lots more restaurants and other hotels (such as Starwood properties and further on, a Hyatt), as well as small shops and inexpensive, open air massage stands (where you can get a nice massage, but don't expect a spa-like silent setting). In planning our trip, I'd thought about staying at one of the Starwood properties in that direction. I'd say the beach near there looked slightly nicer (though still not as nice as many other destinations), but on balance the Conrad looked better, with a longer stretch of beach, many more bales by the water and overall just an even nicer hotel.

FWIW, one morning I took a considerably longer walk and ended up in an interesting area where the fishing community gathers and dries seaweed. Just past that area, there is a small temple complex on a hill.

Having been in Bali many years ago, I was wondering whether Nusa Dua would have the same obnoxious beach hawkers I'd encountered in Kuta--folks who would not take no for an answer. Thankfully, that was not the case. No hassles in that respect. (I guess this may be because of the many hotel guards along the beach, though I must say we didn't encounter obnoxious hawkers at the less developed north shore of the island either.)

Part of the reason that we were so lazy while at the Conrad (well, in addition to our innate laziness) was that we went on to a few other places around the island afterward. For people with the time and the inclination, I'd certainly suggest doing this. Nusa Dua, where the Conrad is located, is nice in and of itself. But you could almost be in any tropical locale while there. To get a better sense of the wonderful island, culture and people (beach hawkers aside!), it is good to venture afield. I've posted a summary in the Asia forum at http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/asia/...trip-bali.html of three other places we went: Munduk Moding Plantation in the central highland area, Amertha Bali Villas on the north coast and Tegal Sari in Ubud. Together, they made for a great combination of sights, settings and experiences.

I'd add my strongest recommendation for the driver who picked us up at the airport and took us around the island. His name is Wayan Merta and he can be reached at [email protected]. Very nice fellow, very safe driver and very comfortable car.

Last edited by Thunderroad; Mar 21, 2011 at 12:03 am
Old Mar 20, 2011, 10:56 pm

Originally Posted by Ole
......It's a 1-week award stay for our anniversary, and the price for the upgrade is the same for the two rooms......
Ole, what's the cost of the upgrade you are given based on booking award nights?
Old Mar 24, 2011, 2:29 pm
Ole

Programs: DL Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by 1K+
Ole, what's the cost of the upgrade you are given based on booking award nights?
$145 / night. I decided to go with a Lagoon Room for $40 / night. I'm told the HH Gold status will afford access to the lounge.
Old Apr 5, 2011, 5:07 pm

Programs: UA, AA, AS, DL, BA, HA, WN, SPG-PL, Hyatt-Dia, HH-Dia, Marr-Pl, US Mint/VR(retired)
Originally Posted by Ole
Is anyone willing to offer his/her opinion on whether a Conrad Suite or Lagoon Suite would be a better choice for an upgraded room. It's a 1-week award stay for our anniversary, and the price for the upgrade is the same for the two rooms. From what I understand, the Conrad Suite provides access to the Club Lounge and the Lagoon Suite does not (though my Gold status may get me in?). Many thanks for any help.
The Conrad Suites section is sort of a hotel within a hotel. There is a separate Exec lounge (although you can also use the "regular" exec lounge too), separate pool, and my favorite perk was free (unlimited) laundry AND dry cleaning.

I'd go for the suites. I loved my stay there last year.
Old Apr 7, 2011, 1:56 pm
Ole

Programs: DL Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by PatMike
The Conrad Suites section is sort of a hotel within a hotel. There is a separate Exec lounge (although you can also use the "regular" exec lounge too), separate pool, and my favorite perk was free (unlimited) laundry AND dry cleaning.

I'd go for the suites. I loved my stay there last year.
Is it possible that the two lounges have recently been combined? I was told by the hotel that there's only one lounge - shared by gold and above and suites guests.
Old Apr 24, 2011, 3:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ua mm, aa plat, starriott LTPP, ihg plat, hh gold.
Am at the hotel now, upgraded from a garden view room to a garden view suite on the second floor--it's an award stay, I'm a diamond but due to surpass--it's not a status I'm intent on keeping, so I'm treating these as orphan points.

The suite is lovely and much better than I expected, especially for free. As this is part of an extended trip, I'm especially enthusiastic about the free laundry/dry cleaning. ^

We asked about paying for a further upgrade to an ocean view suite, were offered the upgrade at $100 per night and declined. (To be accurate, the guy actually said it was $10 a night and we accepted--obviously--but he came back to the suite with our paperwork and wanted me to sign for $100, so we passed. His English is far better than my indonesian, so I can't quarrel with the miscommunication.)

staff does seem as lovely as previously mentioned. We're in the 2nd floor lounge now for cocktails--no martinis, much to mr kk's chagrin, but lots of other yummy drinks. Without stirring up a hornets nest, several of the folks of the balcony are dressed a bit more casually than I hoped for due to the 'dress code' but that's to be expected. Apologies to my friends with kids, it is nice having the adult only (12 and up) vibe.
Old Apr 24, 2011, 11:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Originally Posted by karenkay
We're in the 2nd floor lounge now for cocktails--no martinis, much to mr kk's chagrin, but lots of other yummy drinks. .
Appalling! Ask for your money back! (Oh, right, drinks are free during happy hour.) Semi-seriously, I definitely had a martini (maybe more than one) while there. Perhaps the server did not know the term. If mr kk explains what it is, I bet they could make him one.

Anyway, have a great time!
Old Apr 24, 2011, 3:53 pm

Programs: United 1kMM; AA EX Plat, Hilton Diamond and SPG Plat
Without stirring up a hornets nest, several of the folks of the balcony are dressed a bit more casually than I hoped for due to the 'dress code' but that's to be expected. Apologies to my friends with kids, it is nice having the adult only (12 and up) vibe.
Loved this lounge too, and I too am not trying to continue the dress code issue, but I do feel if they are enforcong other rules in this lounge they should do the same with dress code. We had a 10 yo old w/ us and we got a pass on our first night and not after that. In any event we found that the secondary lounge (the lobby bar), was a nice alternative. I loved the suites but I found that the lack of any views from the lounge except the exec pool was a bummer, so the lobby bar was a great alternative. Lastly we found drink service there much faster since the bar is right there. Wheras at the exec lounge they go downstairs to make the drinks.
Old Apr 24, 2011, 10:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rkaradi
Loved this lounge too, and I too am not trying to continue the dress code issue, but I do feel if they are enforcong other rules in this lounge they should do the same with dress code. We had a 10 yo old w/ us and we got a pass on our first night and not after that. In any event we found that the secondary lounge (the lobby bar), was a nice alternative. I loved the suites but I found that the lack of any views from the lounge except the exec pool was a bummer, so the lobby bar was a great alternative. Lastly we found drink service there much faster since the bar is right there. Wheras at the exec lounge they go downstairs to make the drinks.
are you saying the drinks are free during happy hour in the lobby bar? that might increase mr kk's chance of getting a martini...we may have to try that.

as it is, he's developed an affinity for blue hawaiians.
Old Apr 24, 2011, 11:20 pm

Programs: United 1kMM; AA EX Plat, Hilton Diamond and SPG Plat
are you saying the drinks are free during happy hour in the lobby bar? that might increase mr kk's chance of getting a martini...we may have to try that.

Yes they are, they take your name and room number to verify status (usually on your first visit). Then they have the exact food/bev manu as the lounge. As for the martini can't remember if it's on the menu, but since the full bar is in eyeshot, you should be able to get them to make one.
Old Apr 25, 2011, 1:40 am

Programs: LH SEN, FB Plat., HH D.
I hope this is a drink...

I am looking forward in visiting this property. Hope to do so before the end of the year!
Old Apr 25, 2011, 3:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by saviox
I hope this is a drink...
a very tasty one, in fact. I had one once when i lived in hawaii and thought it awful, but the lounge here makes a very yummy version. no idea which, if either, was actually 'correct.'

EDITED TO ADD: it wasn't a blue hawaiian, it was a blue lagoon...and it was/is delicious!

btw, stay away from the piņa coladas, they're awful. the ginger lemonade, however, is delicious...would probably be tasty with vodka.

thanks for the tip about the bar, rkaradi, we may give that a try...or not, as the lounge is air conditioned.

if anyone's interested in yoga, there's a good yoga class at 8a above the lounge for about $15. there may be a free(?) one at 6a outdoors, but i'm on vacation so can't verify.

Last edited by karenkay; Apr 25, 2011 at 3:22 am Reason: correction
Old Apr 28, 2011, 5:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

dinner 'off the reservation'

Great news: there is now a walkable four-table restaurant just across the road from the hotel. It's visible from the lounge above Rin and has been open only two months--Sambal Jimbau. If you're interested in a more 'authentic' experience, it's worth a trip.

Mr kk and I had dinner there (less than $4 for two) and it was terrific. It's Sumatran food, very spicy, a 'rice house' where you choose what you want to eat from what's already been cooked and is on display in the window. A few words of Indonesian would serve you well, but the owner speaks some English, and of course you can always just point to what you'd like. If her dad is there, his English is quite good.

Water only to drink.
Old Apr 28, 2011, 7:15 am
Suspended

It's Sumatran food, very spicy, a 'rice house' where you choose what you want to eat from what's already been cooked and is on display in the window.
Nasi Padang ?
Old May 2, 2011, 3:45 pm

restaurants around Conrad

Can anyone recommend a couple of restaurants around Conrad? We will be there for 9 nights (July) and hoping to try out a few places. I understand that a lot of places will send a car to pick you up, are there any within walking distance, or all are car pick-ups. I appreciate all of your suggestions.

Also, did anyone try Conrad's dinner for 2 special, I think it is $100/person out on the beach, was it a good experience? worth it?

Best,

PedroNY

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.