Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE to 2014] DISCUSSION Hilton Honors Hotels near Chicago, Illinois USA {US-IL}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE to 2014] DISCUSSION Hilton Honors Hotels near Chicago, Illinois USA {US-IL}

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2002, 7:33 am

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond
Called the individual hotels listed.

Here's what Golds get:

HGI: HHonors Floor, best avail room, water, cont. breakfast

Homewood Suites: HHonors Floor, Godiva Chocolates, water, robes, deluxe cont. breakfast

Doubletree: Nothing. Only Diamonds receive extras.

Hope that helps anyone. If anyone has anything to add, please do.

Are these adequate for a three night stay, or is it worth it to stay at the Palmer for more?

Thanks in advance.

Old Apr 2, 2002, 4:21 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Spire Amb, BA Blue
Chicago in June .

My partner and i are again coming to the States to visit her brother in Seattle in June.We have never stopped over in the "Windy City" before so we need some Flyertalk input please.

We will be staying June 1st for 3 nights and would like to do the "Tourist" stuff.
Where would be the most convenient and "reasonable" budget Hilton location be?(It is a Sat/Sun/Mon stay).I looked at Priceline and was offered North or South Michigan Avenue(is this central/convenient etc)

Alan and Louise

Hawick
Scotland
Old Apr 2, 2002, 5:24 pm

Location: Only Delta Silver I'm trying to stay at home more :) Hilton Diamond, Starwood Gold
Try the Hilton Garden Inn which is in a pretty good location.

------------------
Old Apr 2, 2002, 5:35 pm

Chicago is a lovely and wonderful city, an oasis in what's otherwise a cultural desert between the coasts. The Hilton Garden Inn is a good choice, so too is the Doubletree just off No. Michigan if you can get a decent rate. A Priceline hotel (you cannot of course choose which one you'll get) in the N Michigan Ave area would be my choice, if you want to go the Priceline route.

My favorite activity in Chicago is roaming the streets: each block is a treat to the eyes. Lots of interesting buildings and fascinating architecture, nice shops, good restaurants. (For a particularly memorable AMerican-style meal, head to the Frontera Grille on N. Clark -- 1st-rate Mexican food in a casual atmosphere.)

If you enjoy architecture, take a side trip to Frank Lloyd Wright's home and studio in Oak Park, just a few miles outside the downtown (between downtown and O'Hare Field).

Many people will tell you to see a Chicago Cubs (baseball) game. While it is a lot of fun for baseball fans, baseball is a decidedly unintuitive sport, and it is not likely to be any fun if you're unfamiliar with baseball.

Old Apr 2, 2002, 6:50 pm

Did you know you're coming to Chicago during a FlyerTalk Get-Together?!
Check out the Community Forum for information on "Party in the Windy City." That would be great if you guys could attend.
If you decide to go with Priceline instead of booking a Hilton, a bunch of us have bid and won the Hyatt in the North Michigan Avenue section for $46-$52 depending on what nights they're staying.
Hope to see you in Chicago!
Old Apr 2, 2002, 8:28 pm

...A Priceline hotel (you cannot of course choose which one you'll get)...

$42...NMA...3*... 99% chance you are gonna hit Embassy Suites if booked soon enough (by the end of the week)

Old Apr 3, 2002, 8:27 am

With regard to Priceline, if you bid in the SMA zone for a 4*, you have a good chance at ending up at either the Chicago Hilton & Towers (usually starts around $51 if available) or the Palmer House (usually starts around $55 if available). The Hilton & Towers has always treated me the same on my priceline stays as on my standard stays. The Palmer House has a reputation for the opposite however. The SMA caveat is that you are farther from the North Michigan Ave/ Magnificent Mile shopping. On the other hand, you are excellently positioned for the Museum 'campus' and Art Institute. And, heck, in the summer, a little extra walking isn't quite the same arctic experience as it is in February.
Old Apr 3, 2002, 9:47 am

Programs: DL, UA, AA, B6, BA (airline status-free leisure traveler), Hilton Diamond
For Hilton branded properties there is also a Hampton Inn and Suites, and a Homewood Suites downtown. Both are pretty close to Michigan Avenue (Magnificent Mile), which is, by U.S. standards a pedestrian-friendly street to walk and shop. Parking will be about $30 per night. Outside of Priceline, probably not too many bargains out there for downtown Chicago in June.
Old Apr 3, 2002, 2:28 pm
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ronamc:
The Hilton & Towers has always treated me the same on my priceline stays as on my standard stays. The Palmer House has a reputation for the opposite however.</font>
Isn't that the truth!!
Old Apr 3, 2002, 3:50 pm

Programs: DL PM, HH DMD, MAR PLT
you should definitely do a search on chicago. that being said, i lived most of my life in chicago and visit frequently. in december i stayed at the embassy suites- dowtown on a quickbooks stay (information posted on flyertalk). they have just built a new embassy suites - lakefront which is supposed to be nice as well. when i was there they were building what looked like a new hilton a block away from the embassy suites downtown. chicago is a fun town especially during those two months of summer. the frank lloyd wright stuff in oak park is nice (it isn't on the way to o'hare but directly west of downtown on the lake street L), however, i would (and have done) an architectural boat tour that goes down all three branches of the chicago river. you can pick up tickets by going down the stairs over the michigan avenue bridge to the ticket booth.
Old Apr 3, 2002, 7:46 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Bourne:
...A Priceline hotel (you cannot of course choose which one you'll get)...

$42...NMA...3*... 99% chance you are gonna hit Embassy Suites if booked soon enough (by the end of the week)

</font>
I booked a priceline stay for next Friday night today. Hit on the first try for $42 (gonna go checkout Northwestern on Friday, wanted to do some shopping on Saturday). They'll give you credit for the stay, but it may take some doing. I haven't had a problem so far - but the rep. at the NMA ES had to ask her manager (twice) before putting my HHonors number in.

Preemptive Strike
Yes, yes I know it's not a real stay, but if they give me the credit - I'll take it.
Old Apr 3, 2002, 9:40 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
If you are a football fan, may I suggest an MLS football--you know the sport where you use your feet --watching the Chicago Fire if they happen to be in town...Nothing like the Rangers-Celtic games or the Premier League but a good way to see one of the best MLS teams in action.

Speaking of Priceline bidding, I have stayed at the Hilton in O'Hare several times paying bidding either $35 or $40 per night, I never failed
Old Apr 4, 2002, 12:46 pm

I just got back from Chicago and stayed at the downtown Chicago Homewood suites. This is the best Homewood suite I have ever stayed at. Large suites, geat breakfast (just like embassy suites - got eggs every day - cooked to order). Mangers happy hour with food. The hotel is 1 block from Michigan
Ave (where all the shopping is). The espn zone is around the corner. A great brew-pub rest is 1 block away. I could not of been happier with the place. Also great indoor pool on the top floor - great city views.
Old Apr 5, 2002, 8:13 am

Programs: AA EXP & 2MM, HH DIA, Hertz GLD
Yeah - it's off topic. If ya'll don't like it, tell me and I'll remove it. But I think it might be appropriate.

Chicago?

Here's the list.

1 - Go see Sue and walk through the pyramid.
2 - See the fish.
3 - Cab it to Watertower, walk around the shops up that way kick.
4 - Cab it to the Bergoff for lunch one day. This is Chicago.
5 - Walk around downtown a bit - and make sure you walk in the lobby of the Palmer House, Marshall Fields, etc... this place is like wow!
6 - Greektown - eat there. Doesn't matter where.
7 - Sears tower, if you can.
8 - This is the hard one. But it's a true Chicago experience. Head out to Johnnies Beef. You'll stand in line with Rolls Royces and bums paying with pennies. But it's a Chicago thing. Don't forget the ice. (Order - "Combo - hot, wet, pop and an ice.).

Just my two cents.

Hope you enjoy the trip, on a side note - if you can catch a game (cubs/cards/bulls - doesn't matter what team, Chicago is sports). It's always fun. (Don't remember dates, it's a week or two on both sides of July 4 I think...you might get lucky and catch it - Taste of Chicago.)

Pakse
Old Apr 6, 2002, 2:40 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Spire Amb, BA Blue
First off all i am not in to soccer prefer Rugby!! Whats that i hear from some!! But thanks for all the replies and we do usually see the M's when we are across in Seattle.

We looked at various sites for HH properties for early June and they are expensive so we tried the Priceline route as we are more trying to save cash than get points but hey the points are always a bonus when you are are paying from your own hip!!

Tried starting at £21 for a 3* going up in £4's using different CC's and was offered guaranteed room at £40 when bidding £29. Tried a bid at £33 and got the Sheraton Towers. Checked Expedia (Hotel rating 4*)and the hotel was £172 per night so we are not complaining!!

Many thanks for replies we have picked up some great ideas including the Flyertalk convention!!

Thanks again

Alan & Louise

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.