Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE to 2014] DISCUSSION Hilton Honors Hotels near Chicago, Illinois USA {US-IL}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE to 2014] DISCUSSION Hilton Honors Hotels near Chicago, Illinois USA {US-IL}

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2002, 9:10 am

This might be too late, and you don't earn points, but you can pretty reliably get the O'Hare Hilton for $35-$40 plus bonus on Priceline. I got two rooms for January 17 for $40 each.

Edited to add I just realized you are from Sweden and I don't know whether that affects your ability to use Priceline. Sorry.

[This message has been edited by nwchgo (edited 01-10-2002).]
Old Feb 6, 2002, 2:14 pm

Programs: AA Dirt, HHonors Silver
Taste of Chicago

My girlfriend and I are thinking about going to the tase this year. I'd like to use points for a free hotel if possible. I've never redeemed points with Hilton before, so I need some help with this. A few questions:

1) What's the best place to stay?

2) Does Hilton give upgrades on free stays to Gold VIPs?

3) According to the award chart, it looks like anywhere between 10k and 35k a night. How do I tell the number of points I need? And how do I go about trying to get free nights at the lower level?

Thanks in Advance for any advice,
Mike
Old Feb 6, 2002, 2:22 pm
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by FlyinMike:
1) What's the best place to stay?</font>
Chicago Hilton & Towers would be the closest to the Taste as it overlooks Grant Park. Palmer House would be very close (three blocks) as well.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">2) Does Hilton give upgrades on free stays to Gold VIPs?
</font>
Generally yes, they should if available. From what I've seen on the Hilton Posts there is a good chance of an upgrade at the Hilton Towers vrs. Palmer House.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">3) According to the award chart, it looks like anywhere between 10k and 35k a night. How do I tell the number of points I need? And how do I go about trying to get free nights at the lower level?
</font>
You need to find out what level property the hotel is. At Hilton.com when you get to the page that has the award charts, there will be the various hotel levels highlighted, click on the various levels and search until you find out what level your hotel is.

Old Feb 6, 2002, 3:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
Your "cheapest" bets would probably be the Hilton Garden Inn or Hampton Inn and Suites. Both are in the River North area and walkable to the Taste also, as well being in a "happenin'" area of town.
Old Feb 26, 2002, 8:50 am
Original Member
Original Poster

Which Embassy Suites in Chicago?

Will be staying in Chicago in August with an 8 month old. Trying to decide between the Downtown and Lakefront locations. Does anyone have any comments. Also what is their proximity to the Hyatt on Wacker?
Old Feb 27, 2002, 4:01 pm

Programs: DL PM, HH DMD, MAR PLT
I stayed at the "downtown" one in december and it is a fine cookie cutter embassy suites. you are only a couple of block west of michigan ave. and shopping (if that's your deal). the hyatt on wacker (just off michigan ave.) is about a 10 - 15 min. walk. depending on how cold it is you may walk very fast. i think the "lakefront" one might even be closer and it is supposed to be a newer hotel. i booked a decent rate through the quickbook website. the rates are different for each night so when you check in the rate is an average of the rates. i am a diamond and didn't really see anything special other than the typical diamond box. however, they had some offer at the time that got me a ton of points for this stay.
Old Feb 27, 2002, 4:14 pm

And, I think when you use Hotwire.com (even though you might not get the miles that this board is all about) it is so easy to tell which hotels are which ~~ both have complimetary breakfast, but I think it's the Lakefront that has the pool, Downtown just ahs the Spa. Check on the hotel's websitre before you book.
That said, if miles are your main goal, in Hiltons weekly email they always state that you'll get triple Hhonors miles at the Downtown State St location
Old Feb 27, 2002, 6:01 pm

Both Embassy Suites (the "Downtown" on State and the "Lakefront" on Columbus) have pools. The Lakefront ES is MUCH newer, having opened within the last year. It's also closer (slightly) to the Hyatt Regency. Lastly, if you want to take your 8 month old to the beach, the Lakefront ES is an easy walk to the lake; the Downtown ES is further west. In my opinion, your best bet would be the Lakefront. Take your son/daughter for a ride on the ferris wheel and the merry-go-round located at Navy Pier; s/he will thoroughly enjoy both!
Old Feb 27, 2002, 7:02 pm
DOC 2 BE

Downtown had triple HHonors points on all rates thru 3/31, I think.

Old Feb 28, 2002, 10:08 am

Can someone please email me the newsletter showing the triple miles? Or give me a link to the offer? I am staying there next week. Thanks in advance!

Stan
[email protected]
Old Feb 28, 2002, 10:29 am
DOC 2 BE

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by StanTheMan:
Can someone please email me the newsletter showing the triple miles? Or give me a link to the offer? I am staying there next week. Thanks in advance!

Stan
[email protected]
</font>
http://members.shaw.ca/rewardscanada/hhonors.html

Do a Google search for the hotel as it has its own webpage separate from the Hilton site.

They have an e-mail and you can send it to them to confirm my info. That is what I did.

Old Mar 14, 2002, 8:48 am

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond
Best Choice for Chicago?

Price considerations have narrowed the choice to the following for an upcoming stay:

1. Hilton Garden Inn Chicago Downtown North
2. Doubletree Guest Suites Chicago-Downtown
3. Homewood Suites Chicago Downtown

Are there any preferences out there based on Gold treatment, location, etc?

I've searched already, but the question is picking one of the above.

Thanks in advance!
Old Mar 14, 2002, 9:25 am

I'd choose Hilton Garden just for the following promo:

http://onepass.continental.com/newpart.htm#hiltongarden

Not a OnePass member? Might not be worth it.
Old Mar 14, 2002, 9:35 am

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond
Thanks for the input - alas, I'm not going until April 9th.

I'm actually a CO Silver Elite (Gold last year - but fly DL now - already Gold Medallion with them).

The rates are a bit higher in April - I guess there are alot of conventions in town.

Any insight into these particular properties (in a comparitive way) would be greatly appreciated.

Old Mar 14, 2002, 9:41 am

-=Dupe=-

[This message has been edited by WindShear (edited 03-15-2002).]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.