Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE to 2014] DISCUSSION Hilton Honors Hotels near Chicago, Illinois USA {US-IL}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE to 2014] DISCUSSION Hilton Honors Hotels near Chicago, Illinois USA {US-IL}

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2002, 10:39 am

Location: Madison, WI, USA; NW Platinum, Marriott Silver, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Platinum
I hate to tell you this but the Bears are playing in Champaign. It's a good two-hour drive from Chicago.
Old Aug 21, 2002, 11:26 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by TravelLover:
I hate to tell you this but the Bears are playing in Champaign.</font>
That's right. There is a Hampton Inn in Urbana, within a couple miles from the Memorial Stadium. Stayed there last year, nothing particularly special, typical Hampton Inn. Not much of a nightlife around it...

If you decide to stay in Chicago anyway, you may want to consider FansExpress.
Old Aug 21, 2002, 11:32 am

FYI, the Champaign hotels have jacked up their rates during the Bear's weekends.
Old Aug 21, 2002, 2:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Jakester:
FYI, the Champaign hotels have jacked up their rates during the Bear's weekends.</font>
Champaign-Urbana hotels are notorious for this kind of thing. The university and city have lost numerous conventions and state sports tournaments over the past decade because of unscrupulous hotel owners.

Unless you are dying to party in Campustown in Champaign, I'd stay in Chicago for the hotel. Make that drive EARLY on Sunday unless you want to deal with a lot of traffic. Allow THREE HOURS to get from downtown Chicago into the parking lot at Memorial Stadium. That's what we do on Saturdays - no reason to change the pattern for NFL. If you want some good tailgate time for a noon kickoff, leave Chicago between 6 and 7 am.

Any of the Hiltons downtown in Chicago are nice. I've done a few $109 weekend rates at the Palmer House over the years. They take care of HH Golds pretty well there...
Old Aug 21, 2002, 2:35 pm

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
BTW, while we are on the topic, a bit of useless trivia for you: Sept 21-22 appears to be the only weekend during which you could do a "combo weekend" - Illini at home vs. SJSU on Saturday and the Bears at home vs. New Orleans on Sunday.
Old Aug 26, 2002, 11:39 am

One other note: if you are thinking about staying about halfway between downtown and the stadium, avoid the Kankakee Hampton Inn. The place isn't exactly "charming". It's a low-end Hampton in a mall parking lot.

Not that I'd advise staying halfway between Champaign and Chicago to begin with...
Old Aug 26, 2002, 7:15 pm

Location: Valley Springs, Ca USA;Proud Retired AAer SJC Ramp/ AA- 2 MM Platinum;Hilton Diamond
I grew up on winter days in Soldier Field. Why are the Bears at U of I?
Old Aug 26, 2002, 9:04 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by FoothillFlyer:
I grew up on winter days in Soldier Field. Why are the Bears at U of I?</font>
They are renovating Soldier Field.
Old Sep 20, 2002, 6:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 1MM/AA Gold & 1MM/HH Gold/Marriott Titanium
Chicago Hiltons

Palmer House or Hilton Chicago?
Old Sep 20, 2002, 7:16 pm
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
what about The Drake?
Old Sep 20, 2002, 7:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 1MM/AA Gold & 1MM/HH Gold/Marriott Titanium
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Sweet Willie:
what about The Drake?</font>
Too expensive. Hilton was $219 and Palmer was $206.
Old Sep 20, 2002, 7:20 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by TWA Guy:
Too expensive. Hilton was $219 and Palmer was $206.</font>
You may want to check specials on the HH web site - I recently stayed at the Drake, midweek, for $99, booked on hilton.com.
Old Sep 21, 2002, 6:33 pm
formerly known as Frugal Travel Guy

Programs: UA Gold, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Silver, Hyatt Platinum
Bid $65 4 star at Priceline and I've hit each of them. For that price they are both great.
Old Sep 21, 2002, 10:15 pm

Programs: Starwood Plat, UA Plat, 2MM, AS MVPG
Stayed at the Chicago Hilton two weeks ago. Got a $130 rate the day before on the Hilton Website.
Old Sep 22, 2002, 8:06 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond USAirways CP Hertz Pres Cir
Both are older properties, in close proximity to each other, and very similar in many aspects. Hilton Chicago has Towers, so you can get upgrade there to a nicer room. However, I cannot recall this aspect of the Palmer House?

Not sure about your reason for the visit to the Windy City, but I usually prefer to stay North side of the river at the new Hilton Garden Inn simply because of the great shopping and location is much closer to tourist sites. It is pretty new, and I personally prefer newer properties (but the rooms are not anything fancy). There is also a Double Tree and an Embassy Suites up that way too, but Double Tree bumped me late one night and I refuse to go back (being diamond I thought it was wrong). The Chicago Hilton upgraded me to the Presidential Suite that night (very nice!!! and largest suite I've ever seen), so they actually seem to care.

[This message has been edited by elbidercni (edited 09-22-2002).]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.