Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE to 2014] DISCUSSION Hilton Honors Hotels near Chicago, Illinois USA {US-IL}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE to 2014] DISCUSSION Hilton Honors Hotels near Chicago, Illinois USA {US-IL}

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2002, 9:02 pm

Haven't stayed at Palmer House but I have been to the Hilton Towers. I was quite unimpressed. I'll be choosing a different hotel next time I'm in Chicago, perhaps Palmer.
Old Jun 27, 2002, 4:31 pm

I've been staying at the Palmer practically every week for the last five months. Some rooms are small but there are tons of rooms that aren't. They rate their rooms from 1 (largest) to 4 (smallest). If you have status, ask for a 1 or 2 and you'll be quite comfortable. A Jr Suite which is described above is much like an Embassy Suites or HGI size room. A Suite on the other hand is something totally different. The one I was in was actually the size of three rooms. It had a dining room table, wet bar, sitting area, two bath rooms, several closets and the bedroom is totally seperate. They supposedly have a suite with a pool table but I haven't actually confirm that yet.
Old Jun 27, 2002, 4:39 pm

Programs: Avis Pref+, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Life Gold, Honors Silver, IHG Plat via MC.
Palmer House for Old-World white-glove elegance & proximity to Marshall Field's & Carson Pirie Scott. Doubletree or HGI Chicago DT North for the theater & nightlife action areas of Chicago.

------------------
Flyertalk.com ...because miles & points don't grow on trees!
Old Jul 2, 2002, 10:39 am

Newbie question re using points in Chicago

Apologies in advance, but I am new to the HH program and find the reward stucture to be a little confusing. I thought I would poll the experts here before calling HH CS.

I will be in Chicago labor day weekend. Is 30,000 points enough to get me anything in the downtown or Magnificent Mile areas? Or should I just keep earning points instead of trying to redeem?
Old Jul 2, 2002, 12:34 pm

Programs: HHonors Silver
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by JakAg:
Is 30,000 points enough to get me anything in the downtown or Magnificent Mile areas? </font>
Finding the right category hotel to spend your miles at is unnecessarily complicated via HH, IMO.

You'll need to spend some time on the HH website to find what meets your needs best. From the Main HHonors page click on "Honors rewards", thenH "Hotel Rewards," then "Search for Participating Hotels in Hotel Reward Categories."

You have enough points for a "Standard Award" for one night at an Opportunity, Executive, Select or Classic level of hotel, or two night at an Opportunity level hotel.

Now you must look for hotels in each class by state. If you want to change classes of hotel in that state you need to back up past the state selection, change the class, and select the state again (I think the page was designed by someone who never had to use it).

Anyway, there are many Classic level hotels meeting your criteria: Embassy Suites Chicago Downtown, Doubletree Guest Suites Chicago Downtown, Hampton Inn & Suites Chicago Downtown, Hilton Garden Inn Chicago Downtown, and others in or near the downtown area. Dropping to the Select level gives you a number of choices near O'Hare.

I personally would continue to accumulate points until I had enough for 2 or 3 nights at a decent hotel (Classic or Premium)
Old Jul 2, 2002, 2:18 pm

Thanks. That makes sense.
Old Jul 2, 2002, 2:33 pm

Read my recent post, what a great homewood suites
http://www.homewoodsuiteschicago.com
Old Jul 29, 2002, 8:35 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Titanium
Embassy Suites - Chicago

How does the new ES (close to Navy Pier) compare to the older one west of Michigan Avenue?

I
Old Jul 29, 2002, 8:41 pm

Embassy Suites - Chicago

Sorry, I was hitting the back button and noticed the double post.

[This message has been edited by gardengirl (edited 07-29-2002).]
Old Jul 31, 2002, 5:16 pm
In Memoriam

Hi There! I was waiting for someone who could do a comparison for you to respond, but since they haven't I can tell you about my stay at the Lakefront property (near Navy Pier). The staff were great and went out of their way to shift people around to get me a room at 10:00 a.m. after a red-eye. Since they had moved me, I found my Embassy Touch outside my door when I left the room later that day. My room was an "upgrade" in that it was located off the main balcony area which made it quite a bit quieter I felt. The breakfast was good, but I didn't try the evening reception, so can't tell you about that. I liked the location and walked down to that great gourmet grocery store just around the corner (something & something). Come on--some local help me out here.
Old Aug 1, 2002, 9:27 pm

Thanks so much for the response.

I'm switching to Hilton brands for a while to compare them to Marriott which we've used fairly exclusively for the past couple years. Want to compare the point accumulation and customer service (and mattresses).

Before we got so involved with Marriott we would stay at the other Embassy or Doubletree next to the John Hancock. Liked both of those very much. We like walking the waterfront so thought this new location would be a good one.
Old Aug 2, 2002, 8:28 am

Programs: UA-Platimum 2 MM, HH-Gold, MR-Lifetime Gold, Hyatt-Discoverist
I've just booked this new Lakefront ES for next weekend, and have a couple of questions for those who've been there:
#1- Do any of the rooms have a Lake View that I could request (I'm Gold).
#2- Do the windows open at all (my hubby is a fresh air nut, and likes the windows open--if only a bit at night).
#3- Anything very special about the food -- breakfast, evening cocktails etc.
Thanks!
Old Aug 2, 2002, 8:40 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Regret not having time today to go into Full detail about the ES Lakefront Chicago which I just returned from .Would be happy to do so next week if you are still in need of info
Rooms are the nicest quality I've ever seen in this brand.The Atrium lobby updated into the 90s from the 70s look.Still a way to go but very attractive.Service highly uneven leaning towards the negative side.Although management is making an effort to hopefully resolve issues.Performance and satisfaction will vary greatly based on occupancy at the time and guest preferences& personal needs in a property
Full details to follow...Any specific questions on this property fire away.
Will reply as soon as I can get back online.Leaving for Montreal!

[This message has been edited by 777 global mile hound (edited 08-02-2002).]
Old Aug 3, 2002, 3:28 am

Programs: FB Gold
I stayed there this spring, so I'm a little fuzzy on details, but I'll see what I can recall....

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by mauld:
#1- Do any of the rooms have a Lake View that I could request (I'm Gold).
Lake view is somewhat obstructed by a few blocks of buildings and the highway -- I had somewhat of a view of the lake being on the east side of the building -- nothing spectacular.

#2- Do the windows open at all (my hubby is a fresh air nut, and likes the windows open--if only a bit at night).

I think they do open a little.

#3- Anything very special about the food -- breakfast, evening cocktails etc.

Nothing special that I can recall -- the usual ES food. (Best bet, hop down 2 blocks to the Fox & Lobel market -- snazzy gourmet market; also an iDine partner if you do that.)
</font>

[This message has been edited by jbh11 (edited 08-03-2002).]
Old Aug 21, 2002, 10:29 am

Chicago - bears game - stays?

We are planning to go to Chicago for a Bears game the first or second weekend in November. I know they play at U or I while the stadium is under construction. We have only been to Chicago for a day or two a few years back and stayed at the House Of Blues.
I am looking for recommendations for our stay - either using points or happy to pay reasonable costs.
Can anyone offer some recommendations for either? We are looking for a central locations downtown not too far from anything to enjoy the nightlife, dining and shopping in addition to going to the game on Sunday.
I have done a search through the threads and checked the Hilton website and there are so many locations to choose from, would like to narrow it down a bit!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.