Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE to 2014] DISCUSSION Hilton Honors Hotels near Chicago, Illinois USA {US-IL}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE to 2014] DISCUSSION Hilton Honors Hotels near Chicago, Illinois USA {US-IL}

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2001, 1:25 pm

The Chicago Hilton was the first Hilton. If you have never been to either you must stay at the Chicago Hilton. The lobby is just great.

Old Oct 21, 2001, 4:19 pm

Programs: AC, AA, SPG, Hilton
I am a Hilton Gold.
What are my chances of being upgraded?
I also heard that the Drake is not bad.
Old Oct 21, 2001, 6:25 pm
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Scott218:
I am a Hilton Gold.
What are my chances of being upgraded?
I also heard that the Drake is not bad.
</font>
Should get upgraded no problem, I always have.

Drake is not bad, I like the hotel more than Palmer or Chi Hilton, BUT, BUT I did not even suggest this property as it is not an easy commute compared to the others mentioned.

There is plenty of construction traffic in Chicago (Wacker Drive being the largest ongoing project). Sears Tower, Palmer and Chi Hilton are all south of this zone, while the Drake is a mile north of it. This could add many many minutes to your commute.

If you were going for leisure, I would say the drake, but you stated business.

[This message has been edited by Sweet Willie (edited 10-21-2001).]
Old Oct 22, 2001, 8:57 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Check out this previous post about the Palmer House. Personally I love the Palmer House. I love the old world charm. I am Diamond and have only seen the executive level floor rooms.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum57/HTML/002261.html

------------------
Rachel
CO - Platinum
Hilton - Diamond
SPG - Platinum
Old Oct 22, 2001, 10:35 am
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Slight edge to Hilton, IMHO.
Old Oct 22, 2001, 11:42 am
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
Choices in Oak Brook (Illinois)

Okay, three Hilton choices, all available for Point Stretchers for a four-night stay:

Hilton Garden Inn (Executive, 42,000 points)
Hilton Suites (Select, 54,000 points)
Embassy Suites (Classic, 66,000 points)

I'd really prefer a suite for the four day stay, but the real question is why is the Embassy Suites rated higher than the Hilton, this is not what I would expect! Anyone have any experience with either of those hotels?

Also, anyone know if they have high speed internet access at any of the three (I guess I could just call them myself and find out, but that would be way too difficult )
Old Oct 22, 2001, 11:54 am

I just got back from chicago and stayed at the homewwod suites. Very nice the best homewood I have ever stayed at. All suites, great pool on the top floor.Free munchies and beer in the afteroon.Great breakfast spread - much like a embassy suites. One block from Mich ave. Great brew pub around the corner (the Rock bottom). Short cab ride to the sears tower. Also ESPN zone right around the block.
Old Oct 22, 2001, 1:15 pm

Programs: Ozark Airlines--Lifetime Platinum, Braniff---Diamond, Eastern--Plutonium Motel 6--Guest of the Month
I have not stayed at these properties, however I did have a biz associate stay at the Hilton Suites and if I recall correctly he stated that he liked this more than most embassy suites because there was a window in both the bedroom and the living area, whereas normally the living area in most ES only has the window opening on the atrium.

I think everything else is the same as an ES, the made to order breakfast, manager's reception, etc.
I would save the points and go for the Hilton Suites. I don't think that he had high-speed access, but I could be wrong.
Old Oct 22, 2001, 1:27 pm
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
Thanks ... I just wanted to make sure there wasn't something "wrong" with this property, but given it's location I think if anything the Embassy Suites is just "over rated" in the award chart.

BTW, according to the operator, they do have high speed internet access, so that seals the deal for me.
Old Oct 22, 2001, 2:06 pm
Original Member

Programs: United, Hilton
I am not sure, but I would think that the ES would be higher due to it's proximity to shopping (a large mall is across the street) and restaurants. The Hilton Suites is located in a hard-to-find area of Oakbrook Terrace, and has no good restaurants within walking distance (I guess you could walk to the Oakbrook mall if your were not afraid of a dark street without sidewalks!).

I would stay at the Hilton Suites over the Embassy Suites anytime. The Oakbrook HS is a great hotel!
Old Oct 22, 2001, 2:52 pm

I have had unbelievable experiences at the doubletree suites. I am always upgraded before I even check in. Very NICe.
Old Oct 22, 2001, 6:31 pm

I am a Gold member like you and I've stayed in 3 Hilton properties in the Chicago downtown area: the Doubletree, Hilton Garden Inn and Chicago Hilton. Only the Chicago Hilton has given me an upgrade all the times that I have stayed there plus it has a nice view.
Old Oct 22, 2001, 8:36 pm

We have stayed at both the Embassy Suites and the Hilton Suites at Oakbrook Terrace. The suites are similar in size. The breakfast and the evening cocktail hours are the same. Hilton Suites has a 9:00 p.m. cookie and coffee snack. We also like the informal Hilton Suites restaurant - very reasonably priced items. Finally, we like the VCR in each room at the Hilton Suites. For a weekend getaway, we bring our own videos or you can rent videos in the gift shop. All in all, Hilton Suites is better and much closer to the Oakbrook Shopping Center.
Old Oct 22, 2001, 8:56 pm

Programs: AC, AA, SPG, Hilton
Thanks for all the inputs..
I have decided to stay at the Palmer House.
If I don't like it, I'll just switch over to the Hilton Chicago.
Old Oct 22, 2001, 11:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
The two Hiltons are co-located in the same complex. The Suites is supposed to be much nicer, but I happen to like the new architecture of Garden Inn. At four nights, though, it's probably a value toss-up of space for points. With both properties most likely having the same management, I'd call up and ask the manager what kind of upgrade you'd get at each property for HH Gold.

I would not bother staying at the ES - the location is not as good as it's closer to the Yorktown than the Oakbrook mall. From the Hilton, you can get into the back end of the Oakbrook mall in about a minute without having to get on either IL-83 or 22nd St. (I'm assuming that you're renting a car because mass transit in Oakbrook is virtually nonexistent).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.