Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE to 2014] DISCUSSION Hilton Honors Hotels near Chicago, Illinois USA {US-IL}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE to 2014] DISCUSSION Hilton Honors Hotels near Chicago, Illinois USA {US-IL}

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 1999, 1:47 am

Programs: Qantas, Hilton, IHG
I'm back from my stay in Chicago now and I decided to stick with the Hilton.

I now realise that the location is far from the best in town. But along Michigan Avenue north it's OK. Then it's walking distance to many shops/restaurants/museums and quite a short ride to the magnificent mile.

Step into the door and you are in another world anyhow.

The hotel itself is quite magnificent. I didn't realise that it's also where the Hilton chain all started. The reception rooms and ballrooms rival many palaces in Europe, they are quite stunning and well worth an inspection. I had read all about the indifferent attitudes that HHonors gold members receive, so I was paying particular attention to what would happen to me. Firstly, the separate HHonors check-in was there and it was staffed and there was no waiting. I was staying 4 nights (on vacation) at their special rate of USD 89 / night, but my gold card got me upgraded to the Towers. I asked for a room with a view to the lake and got that too. The room itself was spacious, a little old but very charming and nicely furnished with two bathrooms and the great view. A lot of the rooms have two bathrooms after a major renovation some years ago where 2 small rooms were converted to one large room. There used to be over 3000 rooms! Now it's around half that number.

Being in the Towers meant that a 'continental' breakfast was included in the Towers reception room. This is continental with an American slant - which means a very substantial cold breakfast with lots of different cereals/fruit/pastries/bagels/cakes/yogurts and so on. Also included were hors d'oeuvres each evening. And beverages at any time. It was pretty good really, especially as I was on vacation and had the time enjoy these things.

Check-out was quick and painless in the Towers reception.

All in all I can say that I got a bargain in a very fine hotel without any problems.

[This message has been edited by Austman (edited 04-07-99).]
Old Apr 7, 1999, 6:14 pm
Original Member

Austman,

Which Hilton hotel did you stay in? The Drake?

Thanks.
Old Apr 7, 1999, 7:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
The Drake never had 3000 rooms!

If you read Conrad Hilton's biography which is usually in the bedside drawer next to Gideon's, you find the history of the Palmer House and the Conrad Hilton Hotel on Michigan Avenue. I think it was the largest hotel in the world at one time.

[This message has been edited by stimpy (edited 04-07-99).]
Old Apr 7, 1999, 11:21 pm

Programs: Qantas, Hilton, IHG
Yes, it was the Chicago Hilton and not Palmer House (which is not far away) or The Drake.
Old Feb 14, 2000, 12:32 am

Hilton in Chicago Area?

I'm planning to use some HHonors points to stay at an "executive" point level property in the Chicago area on the pre-July 4th weekend (4 nights). Any suggestions about the best one to choose?
Old Feb 14, 2000, 2:24 am
Suspended

Programs: Ephesians 4:31-32
The Chicago Hilton and Towers has long been one of my favorite hotels and it is closer to the park, Art Institute, aquarium, and museum, but the Drake is closer to shopping and is also a great favorite of mine.

We are staying at the Garden Inn in March because everything else was full but I have no idea what it is like.
Old Feb 14, 2000, 8:42 am

Programs: AS MVP 100K, UA PremEx-MM
I've stayed at the Chicago Hilton & Towers a few times - it's a huge place but I like the "old-style" ambience (built in 1927 I believe as the Stevens Hotel, then it was the Conrad Hilton - biggest in the world for a long time).

Be sure to get a room that faces the lake, preferably a corner room. Some of the rooms are rather gloomy because they face "semi" courtyards (e.g another room 100 feet away).

I was there in November; arrived at 1:45 a.m. and they were out of rooms. They sent me to the Palmer House Hilton for one night, then treated me like a king (junior suite for my convention rate, goodie basket, no charge for the first night, free breakfast, etc.) to make up for the gaffe. Excellent staff.
Old Feb 14, 2000, 10:27 am
Original Member

I'll speak up for the Chicago Hilton & Towers. Easy walking access to the Art Institute, lots of fun shopping, and the L is nearby, too, if that's on your list of things to do. Definitely see if you can get a room that looks onto the lake. Wonderful view. Rooms are kind of unusual -- at least mine was -- seemed to be two rooms remodeled into one. Long and narrow, with a bathroom on either end. Odd, but very nice, and the staff was excellent.
Old Mar 27, 2001, 2:52 pm
BTC

Doubletree Glenview (IL) or Hilton Northbrook?

I'm going to a wedding in the Chicago suburbs over Memorial Day and I'm trying to select my hotel. I was wondering if anyone had any experience with the following properties.

Doubletree Suites Glenview, IL
I can get a wedding group rate here, but I can beat that rate by $20/night on Travelocity.

Hilton Northbrook (Northbrook, IL)
A mile or two further away; equivalent in price to the wedding rate at the Doubletree (or $20 more than what I could pay). Apparently situated in a forest preserve.

Is the pure Hilton worth $20/night?

I'm a mere Gold HHonors member.

Thanks in advance!
Old Mar 28, 2001, 8:14 am

Having never stayed in either property, I would reccomend the Hilton (I live in the area). I also like Northbrook better in terms of restaurant selection.
Old Mar 28, 2001, 9:28 am

I've stayed at the Doubletree in Glenview and enjoyed it very much. All the rooms are suites with a fridge.

I haven't stayed at the Hilton so I can't compare.
Old Mar 29, 2001, 12:03 pm

Location: Chicago, IL USA UA1K, AA Plat, Hilton Diamond,Hyatt Diamond,Marriott Gold
Programs: UA1K, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond,Marriott Platinum
I stayed at the Northbrook Hilton while I was moving to the Chicago area. It is nice but very isolated. Sits on the end a forest preserve but it's not accessable from the hotle property. I'd probably stay in Glenview and save the $.
Old Mar 29, 2001, 8:42 pm
BTC

Thanks for all the advice. I ultimately decided to save the money and booked the Doubletree.
Old May 23, 2001, 11:20 pm

Garden Inn or homewood suites

Does anyone have any preference between the two in downtown chicago. Has anyone had any luck upgrading at the two. Thanks in advance for your opinions.
Old May 24, 2001, 6:40 am
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
Without knowing the specifics of the hotels and only being familiar with the chains, I'd go with Homewood Suites ... unless there is something specific about one of the hotels that makes them above or below average for their chain ...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.