Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE to 2017] Conrad Koh Samui {THA}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE to 2017] Conrad Koh Samui {THA}

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2014, 11:56 pm

Programs: I was loyal to One Pass & Star Alliance before FT ... now I value all miles and programs
Originally Posted by wyoon
Last night 4 Flyertalk members got together and had a few drinks. We understood that there are a few more FT members currently staying at the property. Nice place!!
We are in room 115 and just checked in yesterday.

As far as what was offered to us as Gold members, here is the list:
1) One free amenity kit (three fragrances to choose from)
2) Complimentary breakfast each day
3) One round trip shuttle bus trip to Chaweng for shopping. They say this is only available for people staying 4 nights or longer.
4) A round trip speed boat ride to another island for snorkeling or swimming.
5) A bottle of sparkling wine. We mentioned It Was Our honeymoon, so I don't think this is standard.
6) 2 free drink chits to be used at Zest or by the pool.

The hotel room is everything I imagined and then some.

***UPDATE***

Room 115 has a view that's partially obstructed by a palm tree, but nothing to really bark about.

We did not find the Island View restaurant to be much better than Thai food I would find in the US. However, the drinks were cheap and so were the massages. I would recommend going around 4:30, getting a massage, grabbing some drinks, and it'll make the whole experience to Island View that much better.

We used Mr. Samui for a 6-hour island tour. His wife took us to eat at Takho Bangpo, a restaurant on the North Shore of the island. For less than $15 USD, we had the best meal and the freshest seafood. We HIGHLY RECOMMEND this place!

Last edited by lrluis; Feb 14, 2014 at 10:21 pm
Old Feb 12, 2014, 2:16 am

Programs: Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by lrluis
We are in room 115 and just checked in yesterday.

As far as what was offered to us as Gold members, here is the list:
1) One free amenity kit (three fragrances to choose from)
2) complimentary breakfast each day
3) one round trip shuttle bus trip to some town for shopping. They say this is only available for people staying 4 nights or longer
4) round trip speed boat ride to another island for snorkeling or swimming.
5) A bottle of sparkling wine. We mentioned It Was Our honeymoon, so I don't think this is standard.
6) 2 free drinks at the restaurant upstairs, Azur.

The hotel room is everything I imagined and then some.
I was not informed about the #3 when I checked in. However, I learned there is a shuttle bus going out to Lamai and Chaweng twice a day. One at I think 9.30 or so (pls check with the Arrival Lobby) and 5 PM and pick up at 6 pm.
Old Feb 12, 2014, 3:49 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond
Lightbulb

First of all I'd like to thank all of you for this awesome thread and all of your helpful information. I've read the entire thread twice and made a summary for my upcoming trip. I thought I'm gonna share this with you guys, as it might be helpful to get an overview when new to the thread:

COMMUNICATION
- hotel email: [email protected]
- concierge email: [email protected]

TRANSPORTATION
- drive from the airport: approx. 45 minutes (GPS required)
- no parking fee at resort
- by taxi/cap: around 1.000-1.500 Baht one-way
- pickup by hotel: around 3.000 Baht one-way
- Mr. Samui, 2.200 Baht roundtrip

ROOMS
- there are no room upgrades, as all villas are basically the same. As a Gold oder Diamond you may get a villa in the 300s which are equipped with Apple TV/iPad/Bose sound system.
- several villas got recommended in this thread. All villas in the 200s and 300s seem to have unobstructed views. 100s are closer to the sea.
- villas mentioned with unobstructed view: 204, 206, 207, 209-218, 302, 306, 308, 311, 501-503 for 2bedroom villas.
- villas mentioned with trees blocking the view: 202
- direct view to the Five Islands: villas on the left side on the map, like 306-310

SPA / WELLNESS / SPORT
- CKS spa is very good, but also quite expensive
- Alternative1: Elements Spa and Resort, www.elements-koh-samui.com
- Alternative2: Carnation, they will come to your villa, www.samuimassageservice.co.th
- standard equipped Health Club at resort
- resort is offering several complimentary activities, such as Yoga, Thai Boxing, etc.

BEACH
- there is no beach you can swim at, as the area in front of the resort is pretty stony/rocky
- resort is pretty isolated, not a typical tourist area. be prepared to just relax and chill at your private pool.
- hotel offers a complimentary boat trip to a nearby island where you can hang out on the beach (mixed feedback)

FOOD & BEVERAGES
- breakfast 1.250 Baht, but complimentary for Gold and Diamond members
- Happy Hour in the afternoon (2-for-1), Diamond members also receive 4 drink coupons
- several on-site restaurants, but with typical (high) resort prices (approx 2000 to 4000 Baht for a full meal)
- several restaurant alternatives not far away from the resort (distance is not walkable, use rental car or hotel transportation)
- the Green Talay, www.nuchsgreentalayrestaurant.com
- Coconut Villa Resort, www.coconutvillageresort.com
- Fai restaurant and Bamboo Restaurant right next to Elements Spa - Five Islands Restaurant and The Island View
- free bottled water at the resort (get more at health club or call reception)
- stock up on dricks at Tesco, 7-11 or other supermarket when getting to the resort (taxi or Mr. Samui will stop for you) or (when you have a rental car) during your stay
- due to law Tesco doesn't sell any alcohol between 2pm and 5pm (smaller supermarkets maybe aren't that strict)
- www.samuixl.com/lotus-chaweng/index.php / www.bigc.co.th/en/stores/bigc/samui/

PICTURES (incl. room plan)
- https://plus.google.com/photos/11249...Ibej933tr68yQE
- http://loyaltylobby.com/2011/12/18/c...-at-villa-219/
- http://www.flickr.com/photos/9547764...7633461330532/
- http://goingawesomeplaces.com/wp-con...-samui-map.jpg
Old Feb 12, 2014, 7:21 am

Checked in today to room 218. Will be staying here for 4 nights. Benefits mentioned during our buggy ride were breakfast, internet, boat ride, and 2 cocktails.
Old Feb 12, 2014, 9:42 pm

Originally Posted by Elmo469

ROOMS
- villas mentioned with unobstructed view: 204, 206, 207, 209-218, 302, 306, 308, 311, 501-503 for 2bedroom villas.
305 has an unobstructed view as well

Originally Posted by Elmo469
SPA / WELLNESS / SPORT
- CKS spa is very good, but also quite expensive
- Alternative1: Elements Spa and Resort, www.elements-koh-samui.com
- Alternative2: Carnation, they will come to your villa, www.samuimassageservice.co.th
- standard equipped Health Club at resort
- resort is offering several complimentary activities, such as Yoga, Thai Boxing, etc.
The Five Islands and Island View both offer beachside massage in the range of 300 thb and up.

Last edited by dedkends; Feb 12, 2014 at 9:48 pm
Old Feb 12, 2014, 9:45 pm

Programs: SPG Plt, HHonors Gold, UA Gold, PC Plat, Marriott Gold
At the resort now... Bumped into about half a dozen FT'ers.

Place is as amazing as described. I'll add some thoughts after the trip.

Elmo - GREAT summary. I'll add it to the wiki
Old Feb 13, 2014, 6:31 am

A potential food alternative to Green Talay: a place called Nong Gang, which is kitty-corner to the Family Mart when turning off 4170 to get to the Conrad. (The Foursquare listing for the restaurant is under Chu"s restaurant).

I asked one of the employees at the hotel for food recommendations, and he spouted off Green Talay, Koh Tan Cuisine, and Five Islands Restaurant. When I asked him if he would eat at any of those restaurants, he laughed and said that those were all for farangs, and he prefers Nong Gang, which is cheaper and still has good food.

We went last night and enjoyed it. They have a large English menu, and it's a very casual place (e.g. the waiter waved at the drink fridge and told us we could serve ourselves). A giant bowl of tasty green curry was 100 baht, although it wasn't Thai spicy like we asked. There were also a couple of Thai people eating there, although most of the patrons were farangs. Given the relative lack of nearby food options, I would definitely go back.
Old Feb 13, 2014, 1:15 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, Hyatt Platinum, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by efficientasianman
A potential food alternative to Green Talay: a place called Nong Gang, which is kitty-corner to the Family Mart when turning off 4170 to get to the Conrad. (The Foursquare listing for the restaurant is under Chu"s restaurant).

I asked one of the employees at the hotel for food recommendations, and he spouted off Green Talay, Koh Tan Cuisine, and Five Islands Restaurant. When I asked him if he would eat at any of those restaurants, he laughed and said that those were all for farangs, and he prefers Nong Gang, which is cheaper and still has good food.
You know, I have to agree with that hotel employee. Green Talay was decent but not really a local hangout - I saw zero locals eat there... it depends on what you're looking for but if you traveled this far for authentic Thai food in a hole-in-the-wall experience, there are other places. GT is run by an American who started the place because he loves Thailand and married a native, and he's very friendly. The food is good and it's less expensive than the hotel offerings, but I was a little misled by the glowing online reviews.
Old Feb 13, 2014, 1:20 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat
For what it's worth, I did not find any of the non-resort restaurant Thai food any better than the 40 thai places within 2 miles of our home here. We are lucky that we have tons of Thai around here, but most are fairly ubiquitous and I found the KS places to be the same. If you like usually fare Thai food, there is tons of it and in much more beautiful surroundings than back home---but the zen food experience just wasn't there (at least for us).

Enjoy the views!
Old Feb 13, 2014, 2:21 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, Hyatt Platinum, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by Dcislander
For what it's worth, I did not find any of the non-resort restaurant Thai food any better than the 40 thai places within 2 miles of our home here. We are lucky that we have tons of Thai around here, but most are fairly ubiquitous and I found the KS places to be the same. If you like usually fare Thai food, there is tons of it and in much more beautiful surroundings than back home---but the zen food experience just wasn't there (at least for us).

Enjoy the views!
Precisely!
Old Feb 13, 2014, 5:15 pm

Programs: Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Conrad Koh Samui Resort and Spa

301 has almost an uninstructed view as well. There are a lot more food than Green Talay. Talk to The Exec Chef Konrad. He will explain to you and point out locations on the map very kindly! What a nice gentleman! Got too see him more than the GM (never saw). Sadly now time to leave. Those who are still staying, enjoy. Those who plan to visit here. Do not hesitate to get a rental car and drive around and find many great spots!!! Time to go to BKK!
Old Feb 15, 2014, 1:16 am

Programs: I was loyal to One Pass & Star Alliance before FT ... now I value all miles and programs
I was not informed about the #3 when I checked in. However, I learned there is a shuttle bus going out to Lamai and Chaweng twice a day. One at I think 9.30 or so (pls check with the Arrival Lobby) and 5 PM and pick up at 6 pm.
The shuttle bus leaves the Conrad at 1pm and 3pm from what I remember. We took the 1pm shuttle and that gave us enough time to grab a late lunch, lounge on the beach, and get an hour long Thai massage before heading back. It's about 45 minutes each way.

If the shuttle bus is offered to you, I would definitely recommend taking them up on their offer just to see civilization for half a day.

Oh, and Villa 115 has a palm tree partially obstructing the view of the five islands from the bedroom, but nothing to really complain about in my opinion.
Old Feb 15, 2014, 6:38 am

Programs: LH HON,BA GGL GfL,Hyatt LT Glob,Mrtt LT P,Hilt LT D,IC Amb,Acc P,GHA Tit,LHW Strlg,Sixt/Av/Hz D/Pres
Originally Posted by freeloader
At the resort now... Bumped into about half a dozen FT'ers.

Place is as amazing as described. I'll add some thoughts after the trip.

Elmo - GREAT summary. I'll add it to the wiki
Thank you Elmo, great summary - freeloader: You need to copy the links differently, they are all dead the way you copied them.
Old Feb 15, 2014, 11:23 am

301 has almost an uninstructed view as well. There are a lot more food than Green Talay. Talk to The Exec Chef Konrad. He will explain to you and point out locations on the map very kindly! What a nice gentleman! Got too see him more than the GM (never saw). Sadly now time to leave. Those who are still staying, enjoy. Those who plan to visit here. Do not hesitate to get a rental car and drive around and find many great spots!!! Time to go to BKK!
Yes I was quite impressed with the executive chef - he makes rounds in the morning during breakfast when he can, he likes to mingle and keep his ear to the ground. I like how honest he was about the challenges of starting a resort, and the limitations of being on a remote island, like not always getting the exact ingredients you want. No one wants a mindless Conrad mouthpiece - he really humanized the place for me, and made me appreciate the work that goes into this amazing resort.
Old Feb 16, 2014, 3:35 am

Programs: Jose Cuervo Gold, Bud Light Platinum, Schwab 401K, VW Bug 2MM
thx for updating the wiki freeloader. will definitely help for my upcoming stay in July. When is the best time to email them to request a room? A couple days before?

ps. those links to pics are truncated for some reason

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.