Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE to 2017] Conrad Koh Samui {THA}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE to 2017] Conrad Koh Samui {THA}

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2014, 5:11 pm

There seems to be several FTers on property at the moment including my friend and me; we're here until Sunday. Would be happy to meet others for a drink or two, if interested.
Old Jan 23, 2014, 9:05 pm

Programs: AA, BA, UA, Spirit, Delta, PC Plat, SPG Gold, HHonors Diamond, Club Carlson Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Robert
There seems to be several FTers on property at the moment including my friend and me; we're here until Sunday. Would be happy to meet others for a drink or two, if interested.
Sent you a PM.

You ain't kidding! It's like we can do a mini-do over here. My daily mental exercise has been trying to figure out who's an FT-ers at breakfast.

If anyone wants a ride into town, I'm driving tonight before dark.
Old Jan 24, 2014, 1:40 am

Programs: HHonors Gold, Hyatt Platinum, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum, Marriott Silver
Arrived at Conrad today through BKK (BKK to USM). Room very high-tech - mac mini, ipad, surround system! Similarly, my wife went gaga over the Tara Smith amenities! They've got us both covered.

FYI BKK airport is running smoothly and there is little to suggest that the protests are happening except for in the newspapers. People went about their business, getting through customs and then to our gate was seamless, and the shops/restaurants were all open.

We did receive a little paper handout upon arrival that protests were happening and that we should budget extra time to get to the airport. But this is really only for people traveling in the city, not onward to Koh Samui.
Old Jan 24, 2014, 2:50 am

We're meeting mnscout at the pool bar for Happy Hour at 5:15-5:30 if anyone would like to join us
Old Jan 25, 2014, 7:16 am

Programs: Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by mnscout
Sent you a PM.

You ain't kidding! It's like we can do a mini-do over here. My daily mental exercise has been trying to figure out who's an FT-ers at breakfast.

If anyone wants a ride into town, I'm driving tonight before dark.
So traveling solo for 5 days at this property can be boring? I will arrive in two weekends and have a rental car myself.
Old Jan 25, 2014, 7:21 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat
I have 2 kids, 2 dogs and a lovely smart supporting wife at home… that said I would kill for 5 days alone here. That said, I was at the CKS last year with my wife and we had an amazing time.

If you are the kind of person who loves solitude and personal time, it would the perfect trip. If you want a bar scene and shuffle board on the lido deck I think you may want to look elsewhere.
Old Jan 25, 2014, 11:54 am

Programs: Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Dcislander
I have 2 kids, 2 dogs and a lovely smart supporting wife at home… that said I would kill for 5 days alone here. That said, I was at the CKS last year with my wife and we had an amazing time.

If you are the kind of person who loves solitude and personal time, it would the perfect trip. If you want a bar scene and shuffle board on the lido deck I think you may want to look elsewhere.
I love quite time so I am there already to enjoy. Thank you.

Last edited by wyoon; Jan 26, 2014 at 5:36 pm
Old Jan 26, 2014, 9:02 pm

I am here until Saturday, if anyone wants to grab a drink.
Old Jan 27, 2014, 11:29 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, Hyatt Platinum, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum, Marriott Silver
Just returned from 3 nights at the Conrad Koh Samui - had room in 200s. A beautiful, tranquil resort with killer ocean sunset views. You definitely come here for its privacy and discreteness. Some notes beyond what has already been discussed here:

*Used the samuiislandexplorer.com taxi service - 1700 BHT roundtrip. Very efficient and on time. The drivers spoke acceptable English and let us stop briefly at a Tesco on the way there. Used a van on the way there, and a pickup truck on the way back.

*Breakfast very nice (I'm not too spoiled yet when it comes to free) - starts with a made-to-order omelette, and then a number of thoughtful food stations. Enjoyed the pho and the guava juice immensely. The service is always well-intentioned - I really appreciated how the staff let us stay well past 1030am closing to just relax and loiter. The main chef (ironically named Konrad) comes by on occasion and greets the guests.

*Though not a Mac person, I loved the ipad, mac mini, and other touches like light switches that made for a beautiful room where tech did not get in the way. Not a lot of tv channel choices.

*Though there is plenty of vegetation and moisture, we did not notice mosquitos - they do an exhaustive job with spraying. This is saying a lot since my wife often gets bit elsewhere. The only bugs that seem to immune are the ants, which were a little pesky in our room.

*Did not rent a car. I can see how the resort can get a little too tranquil, but we were prepared for this and thoroughly enjoyed the peace and quiet. Went to a couple restaurants off resort and it was 500 BHT roundtrip using the Conrad's taxi service. Was told by the Conrad chef that there have been several accidents with tourists renting motorbikes and cars, and he personally recommended against it. But with free parking and Avis/Hertz making it relatively cheap, I could see one justifying either decision. On our way to/from the airport, we saw the craziness of the scooters, the back-alley turns to get to the airport, and the various tourists wobbling around on their bikes... we were glad we didn't drive ourselves.

*You likely need some BHT if you go out - the hotel exchanged at 30BHT per USD, which seemed better than the stiff ATM fees you'd otherwise pay.

*Green Ta'lay's food was just decent. For those looking for truly authentic Thai food, we noted no locals there and it is run by an American married to a Thailand native. Cost is cheaper than the hotel's offerings but honestly, not necessarily cheaper compared to other restaurants in the area. The owner is very friendly, it is a nice atmosphere, and it is among the closest restaurants from the Conrad.

*Since our flight was at 630pm, the hotel graciously granted us late checkout at 4pm. By the way, the Bangkok Airways economy flight is terrific - free lounge at BKK, and free food at stations at USM. And they manage to feed you a meal during the hour flight.

All in all an unforgettable experience, very different than if you went to Bangkok. Those views will stay with me for a long, long time.
Old Jan 28, 2014, 5:52 pm

Originally Posted by cloisterman
*Used the samuiislandexplorer.com taxi service - 1700 BHT roundtrip. Very efficient and on time. The drivers spoke acceptable English and let us stop briefly at a Tesco on the way there. Used a van on the way there, and a pickup truck on the way back.
Was that per person or total?

Never mind, I got in touch with them and it is Total.

Last edited by Kraut; Jan 28, 2014 at 6:47 pm
Old Jan 29, 2014, 7:06 pm

Programs: Jose Cuervo Gold, Bud Light Platinum, Schwab 401K, VW Bug 2MM
Noticed some dates with cash+points for 38k pts + about $230usd. Seems like a steal compared to $900 usd for cash and 95k points. Is this common?
Old Jan 29, 2014, 7:17 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by exmike
Noticed some dates with cash+points for 38k pts + about $230usd. Seems like a steal compared to $900 usd for cash and 95k points. Is this common?
Yes. Seems that the stay must include a weekend night. You can see what's available by using the flexible date search and selecting cash and points from the pull down menu on the right. Vary the number of nights to see what's available.
Old Jan 30, 2014, 1:52 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond
Someone mentioned that there aren't a lot of TV channels available. Therefore I'm planning to bring some entertainment of my own (TV-shows and movies on iPad and Apple TV).

Does anyone know if it's possible to get Apple TV working on the TV in the villa? In hotels there is often the problem that you can't connect Apple TV to the hotel's WiFi as there is a web authentication necessary (and Apple TV does not have a browser).

The alternative would be to connect the iPad directly to the HDMI port of the TV. But sometimes you can't even access those HDMI ports on the back of the TV, depending on how the TV is set up.

Thanks for your help!
Old Jan 31, 2014, 3:34 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Elmo469
Someone mentioned that there aren't a lot of TV channels available. Therefore I'm planning to bring some entertainment of my own (TV-shows and movies on iPad and Apple TV).

Does anyone know if it's possible to get Apple TV working on the TV in the villa? In hotels there is often the problem that you can't connect Apple TV to the hotel's WiFi as there is a web authentication necessary (and Apple TV does not have a browser).

The alternative would be to connect the iPad directly to the HDMI port of the TV. But sometimes you can't even access those HDMI ports on the back of the TV, depending on how the TV is set up.

Thanks for your help!
Didn't try it yet myself, but will try it next month perhaps for the same reason.

Sometimes even if you can use the HDMI ports, the geographic settings can prevent viewing your iPad/iPhone content on the TV. I had this hit me repeatedly last summer (in Europe).
Old Jan 31, 2014, 5:25 am

The TV has accessible HDMI and USB ports. Also has your standard red white yellow AV ports.

The entertainment system is being run through an Apple TV. When my Air is connected to the wifi I have the option of syncing my screen to the TV. Although I have not played with it I am sure you can get your laptop screen to display on the TV this way. Not sure what would happen with audio though.

We have watched almost no TV, however.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.