Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE to 2017] Conrad Koh Samui {THA}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE to 2017] Conrad Koh Samui {THA}

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2014, 12:32 pm

Programs: Jose Cuervo Gold, Bud Light Platinum, Schwab 401K, VW Bug 2MM
Originally Posted by olisch
me ... I booked a pool villa for 11.500 THB ++ per night during the january promotion.
great rate! for when?
Old Mar 3, 2014, 2:44 pm

Programs: Lufthansa FTL, HHonors Gold, Le Club Accorhotels Platinum
Originally Posted by exmike
great rate! for when?
2 nights at the end of march
Old Mar 4, 2014, 6:31 am

Programs: AA plat pro, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by sbams
I wonder if anybody actually ever pays the cash price at this hotel ...
Yes, 2 nights paid and 1 on points over CNY
Old Mar 5, 2014, 8:54 am

Programs: Delta Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond.
Originally Posted by jbsay
The cash and points option here is really an amazing use of HHonors points. I couldn't resist extending my stay by a night - having originally booked 2 nights with certificates - for 32,000 points and ~$170 (including fees). It seems this property opens up rooms for cash and points fairly late in the game, so I'm fortunate I was able to score some the extra night.
I've booked a few nights with C&P at a different rate than what you mentioned. I paid 38,000 points + 6220 Thb (=$192 currently). I know the exchange rate can fluctuate, but I thought the points portion of the C&P rate was constant. Anyone else have this experience?
Old Mar 5, 2014, 10:00 am

Programs: UA Million Miler; UA-1K; Hilton Lifetime Diamond; Marriott Lifetime Platinum; SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by DutchRyan
I've booked a few nights with C&P at a different rate than what you mentioned. I paid 38,000 points + 6220 Thb (=$192 currently). I know the exchange rate can fluctuate, but I thought the points portion of the C&P rate was constant. Anyone else have this experience?
We also booked a 4 night stay with this same rate (38,000 points + 6220 Thb) for next month. 2 nights obtained through the Citibank Credit Card and doing C&P for the other 2.
Old Mar 5, 2014, 10:20 am

Programs: SPG Plat, CO Gold, AA Plat, Marriott Silver, HH Gold, Citigroup Chairman
Some Answers

Originally Posted by PandaHouston
A few questions hopefully someone can answer:

1) Can anyone tell me if the Tesco takes credit cards or is it cash only?
Yes they take credit cards. I was able to use Amex and Visa there.

2) Is there an ATM at Conrad Koh Samui?
No, the nearest is at the Family Mart, which you will pass when you enter the property. You can have your taxi/car stop there.

3) If the hotel exchanges USD to THB, does anyone know the rate - was it competitive?
I think I would have lost about 2% if I went with their exchange rate at checkout. It's NEVER a good idea to have the hotel to convert to your local currency, because if your card charges a forex fee, they will charge it regardless of currency billed usually.

Great property. Have fun!
Old Mar 5, 2014, 10:45 am

Programs: UA Million Miler; UA-1K; Hilton Lifetime Diamond; Marriott Lifetime Platinum; SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by jayzee9
I think I would have lost about 2% if I went with their exchange rate at checkout. It's NEVER a good idea to have the hotel to convert to your local currency, because if your card charges a forex fee, they will charge it regardless of currency billed usually.

Great property. Have fun!
We have a no foreign transaction fee credit card. We are not trying to exchange money to pay for the room. We need THB to pay for our outside meals, car service to/from airport.

Just trying to determine the least fee ridden way of doing this. Our driver who is picking us up at the airport has agreed to stop at a better foreign exchange place.
Old Mar 5, 2014, 3:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt/Hilton Diamond, Marriott/SPG Gold, Hertz Prez
Just curious, when do C&P rates start appearing (6 months, 3 months, random)?
Old Mar 5, 2014, 6:41 pm

Originally Posted by jpc83
Just curious, when do C&P rates start appearing (6 months, 3 months, random)?
I think you have to keep checking. We booked ours last month but availability would almost change on a daily basis. Didn't check prior to last month. We threw together this trip about a month ago.

Also, I contacted Samui Explorer to arrange pick up from the airport. Michelle is very responsive. And she agreed to drop us off to exchange money and to TESCO. So far so good!
Old Mar 5, 2014, 10:51 pm

We have a no foreign transaction fee credit card. We are not trying to exchange money to pay for the room. We need THB to pay for our outside meals, car service to/from airport.

Just trying to determine the least fee ridden way of doing this. Our driver who is picking us up at the airport has agreed to stop at a better foreign exchange place.
You stop at any Siam bank and you are fine, they have exchange booths alone or next to any branch. You can find them everywhere. Just look for their purple sign.
Old Mar 5, 2014, 11:44 pm

The first junction when you leave the hotel has a few establishments that you can use:

1. Rent a scooter. We rented a scooter the first day we got there. It was cheap. The person has a shop near the junction when you leave the hotel bottom entrance (they will take you down for free to the bottom). The shop is less than 1 KM before the junction on the road from the hotel) You can walk there although some may find it far. If the shop is closed he has a house on the same side of the street. We arrived there at night and just rented from his house. Easy rental, I think we left no papers or CC.

2. Not sure why people go to Tesco, there is a convenient store at the junction. Also, during the day you can buy fresh produce next door.

3. A great family restaurant right on the corner. Wonderful food and Thai atmosphere.

4. If you want a cheap massage, you can find it as well there.
Old Mar 6, 2014, 5:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cutnana
You stop at any Siam bank and you are fine, they have exchange booths alone or next to any branch. You can find them everywhere. Just look for their purple sign.
The booth at the airport works just fine as well and should give the same exchange rate.
Old Mar 7, 2014, 12:25 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
If you are leaving the hotel early in the morning before breakfast or with inadequate time for breakfast, the hotel will pack you a breakfast to take away and it usually has something like a bottle of water, two bakery items, a cut fruit dish, and an omelette -- so three food boxes + a bottle of water in a plastic bag, along with some plastic utensils and napkins in it. Very nice and thoughtful of the hotel.

Did the hotel have any power issues in the latter part of this week? Sunday night/Monday morning had some kind of intermittent power-trips late at night/early in the morning.

I keep hearing great things about Mr. Samui/Suphot's transport service. Highly recommend him in both directions, if needed, and it's cheaper than the alternatives. [The main transport desk at the airport charges 1500 one-way for a private car to the Conrad.]
Old Mar 7, 2014, 8:29 am

Originally Posted by cutnana
The first junction when you leave the hotel has a few establishments that you can use:

2. Not sure why people go to Tesco, there is a convenient store at the junction. Also, during the day you can buy fresh produce next door.
Does this convenient store sell alcohol - wines and spirits?
Old Mar 7, 2014, 10:05 am

Does this convenient store sell alcohol - wines and spirits?
I didn't buy these items there so I don't remember, but my guess is that they do, it is a chain like 7/11 which is all over Thailand and 7/11 usually sell behind the cashier (the heavy liquor, wines are elsewhere).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.