Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE to 2017] Conrad Koh Samui {THA}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE to 2017] Conrad Koh Samui {THA}

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2014, 4:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by bamboola
I did not meet the current GM during our stay because he was on business in Europe. However, he did email me several times (before, during, and after our stay) to ensure that everything was running smoothly.

He also made sure that his Director of Operations (Simon) looked after us during our stay. When Simon had to leave on a business meeting in Bangkok, his staff told us that he called to make sure we were well looked after.

I am surprised to read the above comments. This is one management team that has consistently surpassed my expectations and that followed through on reasonable requests.
Can only speak for my experience

The only management interaction was one morning at breakfast otherwise in a pretty empty resort there wasn't even the briefest enquiry as to the progress of our stay apart from by the broadly fabulous general staff. I don't seem to be the only person with this experience either.
Old May 15, 2014, 4:12 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2mm SPG Gold HH Diamond
Review from stay last year

I actually wrote this right after my stay last September and forgot to post it. Here it is
Last September I spent 8 days at the resort. It was better than I expected. Pictures of this place do not do it justice. I even think this resort is better that Conrad Maldives. The service was like nothing I had ever experienced before. Koh Samui is really a great island. First thing I must say is do not use carnation for massages. It was the biggest waste of my time dealing with them. They have also raised their prices by over 20%. Right before I arrived they told me that it was not worth their while to come to the Conrad for a 1 hour couples massage. I had booked 4. They also will only use the bed which is not the place you want to have a deep massage. I ended up going to elements which was really good and a very nice spa. I highly recommend renting a car. It was really easy to drive around the island. I bought a sim card for $10 that I put into my phone and I had google maps which was very good most of the time. It’s easy to find the hotel except there is no sign for the hotel to turn on 4170. The rooms and views are unreal. I do not think there is a bad room. The least desirable are some of the 100's where trees block a lot of your view. I really liked the steep roads to work around the hotel. My wife and I walked to the gym, pool and breakfast every time. It was great exercise. One time we also walked around the entire property. Be sure to do some of the classes they offer. No one does them so they are usually private and they are really good. The staff is fantastic. Be sure to try the aqua class. It was a great workout and lots of fun. Do not think it is a class for old people. The gym was pretty good and almost not used. The only bad thing is there is a strong smell from the floor which is not very nice. There was also a bad sulfur smell at the pool near the bathroom. The pool is the nicest pool I have ever swum in. It is glass at the top so you can look out while you swim. I only ate breakfast at the hotel. It was not the best breakfast selection I have had but it was the best view and service ever. So it was the most enjoyable breakfast I have ever had. I did a full day 4X4 tour booked through Samuitopia.com. It was by far the best tour I have ever done and everyone should 100% go on it. I also went on an ATV which was really fun. There is so much to do on the island. I went on the boat trip to the beach. Its worth going just for the boat trip. The beach is not great and there were jelly fish in the water. Every night we went out for dinner. Everything is so cheap on the Island. We ate at bamboo which had pretty good food but the food took forever. I think they only have 2 burners. So if the restaurant is full you will be in trouble. Best day to go is Wednesdays when they have live entertainment. I ate at sweet sisters twice is very good. It is organic and meant to be healthy. Be sure to get the chocolate fudge cake. The concierge recommended Sa biang lay which was really good and so cheap. Pad thai was 90 baht. If you want good Indian go to curry pot in Lamai. Lamai also is a good place to get a massage. You will get a 1 hour Thai or foot massage for 200 baht. Shopping in Koh Samui is not very good. Save your shopping for Bangkok.
I love this hotel and it is now my favorite hotel. It is amazing that they could build the hotel in that location. It must have cost a fortune to build. I booked it because of the devaluation. Fortunately I also booked it for next year and hope to return next year and many times in the future. This hotel is still worth the new points. The weather at the hotel was really good. It not very humid with the nice breeze. In Lamai it was much hotter and more humid.
Old May 22, 2014, 8:22 am

I was planning on visiting in early December. Any news about the military coup in Thailand affecting travel or the hotel itself? Thanks.
Old May 22, 2014, 12:38 pm

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by raekwonse
I was planning on visiting in early December. Any news about the military coup in Thailand affecting travel or the hotel itself? Thanks.
Military bans the current protests, so roads from Airport to all areas of Bangkok are now open, but alsp overbnight curfew 1pm-5am now, although to/from airport travel is allowed if you have a ticket/itinary

For Koh Samui, no issues here at all, protests don't affect the Island, whether under or before Military intervention.

ie of UK gov site

On 22 May the Chief of the Royal Thai Army announced that the military had taken control of government, would restore order and ensure political reform in Thailand. Martial law is in place and provides an enabling framework for the Royal Thai Army to take action it deems necessary to enforce law and order, and instructions can change rapidly. As a result there is increased military presence in Bangkok and neighbouring provinces. You should generally allow extra time for journeys, including to Bangkok airports.

A nationwide curfew has been announced 10pm to 5am. Authorities have advised that the curfew will not apply to those travelling to or from the airport, but departing or arriving travellers should have their passports and tickets. You should continue to monitor the media for information and any updates.

Last edited by scubaccr; May 22, 2014 at 1:17 pm
Old Jun 1, 2014, 10:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Redundant.

Last edited by skywalkerLAX; Jun 1, 2014 at 10:28 pm Reason: Delete.
Old Jun 6, 2014, 8:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
I just completed another stay at this property, this time at the Conrad Residences in a 2BR Villa.

This was a great accommodation and it really felt like a home away from home. There are however a few things I can't wrap my head around. When something is called 'Residence' I get it when there is a kitchen etc in the Villa but there wasn't a single piece of cutlery, pan, pot, plate or (to make it short) ANYTHING that would have made this kitchenette remotely useful. Irritating! Also the condition of the villa somehow doesn't reflect the relatively young age of the resort. Paint is coming off the walls every left and right (outside) and the sun chairs were partially smeared with sunblock from the previous guests who must have had an orgy using that stuff as lubricant judging by the amount. Furniture was also dinged and scratched everywhere. I know hotel interior has higher wear and tear but either Godzilla was in residence for an extended period of time or during construction they just used the cheapest materials available. Extremely confusing was that this has so far not been detected during routine inspection and judged as due for maintenance. We are talking here about a Villa for 1600$ a night.

Some operational issues included the coordination of services like phone operator, room service (pickup of dirty dishes - plates were still there next morning and covered with ants [exactly what I wanted to avoid which is why I asked them to come by quickly]) and last but not least receiving a notice that 'due to high occupancy' the checkout time would be 12pm. Needless to say the occupancy is LOW and I could book multiple Villas for the day. That letter really blew the lid off after I had pretty much arranged myself with the other issues.

Nevertheless I also and especially want to outline to positives:

This is simply a breathtaking property. I have visited many resorts all over the world and this one was one of the best. The staff does their best to make your stay memorable and is super friendly. Food and Beverage is very reasonable IMHO considering the isolated location of the hotel. I know many properties that would rip you off your last shirt when it comes to F&B because the guest has no other options than eating at the hotel. Not so here, the prices were completely in line with what you would pay at any other 5* Hotel in Bangkok. Compare that with the 39$ Cheeseburger at the Hilton Beijing 2 Weeks ago.

Another nice touch was that hotel guests can book a free boat and snorkel trip (1 day advance booking required) that takes ~2,5h and there are 2/3 departures per day (weather permitted). Diamonds receive the 4 Drink Coupons as amenity which I find very generous. Amazingly the staff told a couple next to us that the hotels allows the guests to bring their own alcohol to the pool and so they brought their wine and beer!? Interesting. Should I bring a few bottles of Veuve next time? Then again, I'm not for getting totally p*ssed by the pool in tropical climate.

The buggy service worked out rather smoothly and considering you really need these buggies to get around they have it under control. I tried walking a bit one day. Forget it! The hotel is now building another plateau above the rocky 'beach' and they will also bring over some sand. I feel bad for them having to cope with such a letdown of a beach environment. I'm sure it's a bummer for many guests. Hopefully the new solution will turn out well.

One thing was mentioned here that I have to oppose. Many of you said the management of the property is rather invisible or not interested in making contact with the guests. This was absolutely not the case on this visit. I saw the GM and his senior staff every single day buzzing around and talking to guests,also introducing himself at the breakfast. All over the place, so not isolated incidents. If these guests were VIPs or normal guests - don't ask me but I can not say that I can confirm your guys claim/experience that management is disinterested in guest relations. I found all staff incl management to be personable, open and naturally friendly.

I hope this rather long summary helps some of you getting an impression of the current conditions at the property.

Cheers!

PS: A word regarding the security situation on Koh Samui, You don't notice a thing! Feel free to come. BKK is another story but USM now has no curfew anymore and I have not seen a single officer of any security branch ANYWHERE.
Old Jun 6, 2014, 2:38 pm

Programs: LH Sen, HH Diamond, IC RA
Originally Posted by skywalkerLAX
I just completed another stay at this property, this time at the Conrad Residences in a 2BR Villa.

This was a great accommodation and it really felt like a home away from home. There are however a few things I can't wrap my head around. When something is called 'Residence' I get it when there is a kitchen etc in the Villa but there wasn't a single piece of cutlery, pan, pot, plate or (to make it short) ANYTHING that would have made this kitchenette remotely useful. Irritating! Also the condition of the villa somehow doesn't reflect the relatively young age of the resort. Paint is coming off the walls every left and right (outside) and the sun chairs were partially smeared with sunblock from the previous guests who must have had an orgy using that stuff as lubricant judging by the amount. Furniture was also dinged and scratched everywhere. I know hotel interior has higher wear and tear but either Godzilla was in residence for an extended period of time or during construction they just used the cheapest materials available. Extremely confusing was that this has so far not been detected during routine inspection and judged as due for maintenance. We are talking here about a Villa for 1600$ a night.

Some operational issues included the coordination of services like phone operator, room service (pickup of dirty dishes - plates were still there next morning and covered with ants [exactly what I wanted to avoid which is why I asked them to come by quickly]) and last but not least receiving a notice that 'due to high occupancy' the checkout time would be 12pm. Needless to say the occupancy is LOW and I could book multiple Villas for the day. That letter really blew the lid off after I had pretty much arranged myself with the other issues.

Nevertheless I also and especially want to outline to positives:

This is simply a breathtaking property. I have visited many resorts all over the world and this one was one of the best. The staff does their best to make your stay memorable and is super friendly. Food and Beverage is very reasonable IMHO considering the isolated location of the hotel. I know many properties that would rip you off your last shirt when it comes to F&B because the guest has no other options than eating at the hotel. Not so here, the prices were completely in line with what you would pay at any other 5* Hotel in Bangkok. Compare that with the 39$ Cheeseburger at the Hilton Beijing 2 Weeks ago.

Another nice touch was that hotel guests can book a free boat and snorkel trip (1 day advance booking required) that takes ~2,5h and there are 2/3 departures per day (weather permitted). Diamonds receive the 4 Drink Coupons as amenity which I find very generous. Amazingly the staff told a couple next to us that the hotels allows the guests to bring their own alcohol to the pool and so they brought their wine and beer!? Interesting. Should I bring a few bottles of Veuve next time? Then again, I'm not for getting totally p*ssed by the pool in tropical climate.

The buggy service worked out rather smoothly and considering you really need these buggies to get around they have it under control. I tried walking a bit one day. Forget it! The hotel is now building another plateau above the rocky 'beach' and they will also bring over some sand. I feel bad for them having to cope with such a letdown of a beach environment. I'm sure it's a bummer for many guests. Hopefully the new solution will turn out well.

One thing was mentioned here that I have to oppose. Many of you said the management of the property is rather invisible or not interested in making contact with the guests. This was absolutely not the case on this visit. I saw the GM and his senior staff every single day buzzing around and talking to guests,also introducing himself at the breakfast. All over the place, so not isolated incidents. If these guests were VIPs or normal guests - don't ask me but I can not say that I can confirm your guys claim/experience that management is disinterested in guest relations. I found all staff incl management to be personable, open and naturally friendly.

I hope this rather long summary helps some of you getting an impression of the current conditions at the property.

Cheers!

PS: A word regarding the security situation on Koh Samui, You don't notice a thing! Feel free to come. BKK is another story but USM now has no curfew anymore and I have not seen a single officer of any security branch ANYWHERE.

As a HH Diamond, did you receive free breakfast for more than 2 ?
Old Jun 6, 2014, 7:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tom-schmitt
As a HH Diamond, did you receive free breakfast for more than 2 ?
No idea to be honest, because I didn't need breakfast for more than two people.

On a sidenote: For Residences Guests all in room movies were free as well.
Old Jun 11, 2014, 11:01 am

I just searched this thread and google for AXON award info for this hotel, dated info from 2013. I know it is exempt from the reserve free night certificates but can't find any recent info on AXON for 2014/15. I booked the Papagayo which is on the reserve exempt list and isn't AXON eligible I was wonder does the same apply for Koh Samui?

Upon further research found out that this hotel is ineligible of course

Last edited by mrstraveler; Jun 13, 2014 at 10:04 am
Old Jun 30, 2014, 2:27 am

Programs: LH Sen, HH Diamond, IC RA
Are there any room recommendations regarding the 2 Bedroom Villas ?
Old Jun 30, 2014, 6:21 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond
What are the diamond benefits at this property? Can anyone advise? With regards to the room upgrade, what room is usually allocated to a diamond member?

Is there an executive lounge at this property?
Old Jun 30, 2014, 1:13 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Gulf Air Falconflyer Gold
Originally Posted by InvestorTiger
What are the diamond benefits at this property? Can anyone advise? With regards to the room upgrade, what room is usually allocated to a diamond member?

Is there an executive lounge at this property?
These is no lounge at this property. All the 1 bedroom villas are the same, so there are no room 'upgrades'. You can, however, request a water view villa, which will get you on the lower levels, and that is considered an upgrade. In my opinion, it wasn't worth it. Diamond benefits are limited to the usual free breakfast and Internet, and they give you free drink vouchers for the bars. And a couple of coupons for discount at the restaruants and spa.

Hope that helps,
Eric
Old Jun 30, 2014, 1:16 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Gulf Air Falconflyer Gold
Originally Posted by mrstraveler
I just searched this thread and google for AXON award info for this hotel, dated info from 2013. I know it is exempt from the reserve free night certificates but can't find any recent info on AXON for 2014/15. I booked the Papagayo which is on the reserve exempt list and isn't AXON eligible I was wonder does the same apply for Koh Samui?

Upon further research found out that this hotel is ineligible of course
Mrstraveller, the Conrad Koh Samui Residences, which is considered a separate property fom the Conrad Koh Samui, are not eligible for Citi Reserve free night certificates. The actual CKS property is eligible for all Hilton Honors awards.

Go there, you'll like it.
Eric
Old Jul 23, 2014, 1:19 pm

Help with 2 questions please.

1) Is the snorkel kit that the hotel supplies Ok or should we take our own.

2) Is there a nespresso machine in the room.

Thnaks for any help.

jchand
Old Jul 23, 2014, 2:33 pm

Programs: LH SEN, FB Plat., HH D.
Originally Posted by jchand
2) Is there a nespresso machine in the room.
Hi jchand,

18 months ago there was not. Do not know if now have been introduced but if so, I would imagine it is mentioned in the hotel web.

Enjoy the CKS!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.