Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE to 2017] Conrad Koh Samui {THA}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE to 2017] Conrad Koh Samui {THA}

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2014, 10:12 am

Programs: AA, BA, UA, Spirit, Delta, PC Plat, SPG Gold, HHonors Diamond, Club Carlson Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by wyoon
So traveling solo for 5 days at this property can be boring? I will arrive in two weekends and have a rental car myself.
The days are never boring with these views. I took some work with me, but even for a pure relaxing trip, there are things to do during the daylight; between the main pool, the beach, your private pool, free boat trips, etc. Evenings, however, are another story. At the resort, there are mostly couples who keep to themselves, so yes, I would say, unless you want to do a lot of reading or movie watching, the car for a single traveler is pretty much a necessity.

Now, driving on the island is not that bad, but since you will be driving in the dark, you have to be vigilant. The roads are easy; there are only two major highways around the coast, but they are badly lighted, and in some parts are quite rough. I would recommend GPS to make sure that nothing distracts you from the road. The drive to and from Lamai beach with all the entertainments takes 30-35 minutes (if you don't get lost, which is easy since the roads are unmarked).

As to danger of driving, I didn't find other drivers and riders on the island as crazy as in Bangkok, and my goodness, they are exemplary drivers compared to Dominicans. No offense to anyone, but that's one country, I have never rented a car in, and probably won't.
Old Jan 31, 2014, 2:40 pm

Programs: SPG Plt, HHonors Gold, UA Gold, PC Plat, Marriott Gold
How's the wifi speeds here?
Old Jan 31, 2014, 5:31 pm

Programs: AA, BA, UA, Spirit, Delta, PC Plat, SPG Gold, HHonors Diamond, Club Carlson Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by freeloader
How's the wifi speeds here?
OK and consistent for browsing, but not good enough for streaming.
Old Jan 31, 2014, 8:40 pm

Programs: SPG Plt, HHonors Gold, UA Gold, PC Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by mnscout
OK and consistent for browsing, but not good enough for streaming.
Thanks! That may make it difficult for me to stream the Olympics in a couple weeks when I'm there tho....
Old Feb 1, 2014, 4:31 am

Programs: United 1K, Qatar Gold, Etihad Gold, Hilton Diamond, InterCon RA, PC Plat, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat
Koh Samui or the Maldives ... talk me into one of them over the other one.
Old Feb 2, 2014, 12:48 am

Programs: HHonors Gold, Hyatt Platinum, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by dedkends
The TV has accessible HDMI and USB ports. Also has your standard red white yellow AV ports.

The entertainment system is being run through an Apple TV. When my Air is connected to the wifi I have the option of syncing my screen to the TV. Although I have not played with it I am sure you can get your laptop screen to display on the TV this way. Not sure what would happen with audio though.

We have watched almost no TV, however.
I could not get Airplay to work with their proprietary/specialized Conrad setup. Their USB didn't recognize my files/photos either.

The larger bedroom TV has a proprietary remote that doesn't allow HDMI output switching. However the bathroom TV has a standard Samsung remote - using it on the larger bedroom TV I could then switch between HDMI inputs. I plugged my macbook pro via an HDMI cable I brought and could view photos/videos this way.

The videos worked with their surround sound system but only with some more fiddling with my macbook settings. Though it worked out in the end, I came away thinking with the sour taste that Macs aren't as seamless as advertised. Quickly forgotten when reinserting myself into the infinity pool...
Old Feb 2, 2014, 12:53 am

Programs: HHonors Gold, Hyatt Platinum, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by freeloader
Thanks! That may make it difficult for me to stream the Olympics in a couple weeks when I'm there tho....
Agreed it was steady but not as fast as US standards. FaceTime was choppy/sluggish so streaming the Olympics may be too. A couple times the wireless went out for long periods (>6hrs). The concierge was apologetic and he eventually restored it by having their engineers remotely reset the router in our room (so he says).
Old Feb 2, 2014, 6:57 am

800thb RT transfer to/from the Island View Restaurant. Call them and they will send a car. Hotel’s transfer price to the Island View was much higher.

Views, villa, pool, etc. are all amazing as reported.
Old Feb 2, 2014, 8:13 am

Programs: UA GS, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Roger Lococco
Koh Samui or the Maldives ... talk me into one of them over the other one.
I've been to both and they have different atmospheres. If I had to choose, Koh Samui. Easier to get to. More cost effective. More things to do. More placed to eat. Service is better.
Old Feb 2, 2014, 5:45 pm

Programs: Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Thank you mnscout!! I am excited and can't wait until one more week to arrive there.

Cheers!

Originally Posted by mnscout
The days are never boring with these views. I took some work with me, but even for a pure relaxing trip, there are things to do during the daylight; between the main pool, the beach, your private pool, free boat trips, etc. Evenings, however, are another story. At the resort, there are mostly couples who keep to themselves, so yes, I would say, unless you want to do a lot of reading or movie watching, the car for a single traveler is pretty much a necessity.

Now, driving on the island is not that bad, but since you will be driving in the dark, you have to be vigilant. The roads are easy; there are only two major highways around the coast, but they are badly lighted, and in some parts are quite rough. I would recommend GPS to make sure that nothing distracts you from the road. The drive to and from Lamai beach with all the entertainments takes 30-35 minutes (if you don't get lost, which is easy since the roads are unmarked).

As to danger of driving, I didn't find other drivers and riders on the island as crazy as in Bangkok, and my goodness, they are exemplary drivers compared to Dominicans. No offense to anyone, but that's one country, I have never rented a car in, and probably won't.
Old Feb 3, 2014, 9:33 am

Programs: United 1K, Qatar Gold, Etihad Gold, Hilton Diamond, InterCon RA, PC Plat, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by ShotgunKid
I've been to both and they have different atmospheres. If I had to choose, Koh Samui. Easier to get to. More cost effective. More things to do. More placed to eat. Service is better.
Would love to hear more about difference in atmospheres (Koh Samui Conrad with Maldives Conrad).

Each location is reasonably easy to get to -- though Maldives a bit easier.

Either trip would be on points.
Old Feb 3, 2014, 4:51 pm

Originally Posted by dedkends
800thb RT transfer to/from the Island View Restaurant. Call them and they will send a car. Hotel’s transfer price to the Island View was much higher.

Views, villa, pool, etc. are all amazing as reported.
So no more free restaurant shuttle?
Old Feb 3, 2014, 6:42 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, HHonors, SPG, Marriott
My review of the Conrad Koh Samui

Hey everyone!

Finally got around to reviewing the Conrad Koh Samui after my trip in 2012. Tried to be as objective as possible and took a lot of photos as well. I also had some pretty detailed blog posts about my day-to-day itinerary in Koh Samui so if you want to read a bit about that check it out as well. Hope you find it useful!

Pros:
I doubt you'd be able to find another place like this. I mean just the setting and location of the hotel is spectacular. Hotel rooms on stilts. Your own huge infinity pool. Pure bliss out here! As far as Conrad properties are concerned, this has to be up there with the other big resorts like Bora Bora, Moorea, Maldives and Seychelles and I dare say one of the most unique. This is the kind of place where it really makes no sense to even go out of your suite. It's that epic.

Cons:
Honestly it's SO private that it's far from everywhere else. It's on the southern tip of the island and when you read my blog you'll see that honestly the only options nearby the resort in terms of food is Green Ta’lay which was fantastic and at a decent price. We also took a taxi once to a nearby local market to get some take out. Otherwise you're going to be paying the high prices at the hotel. It is also a little bit of a pain to get to the upper parts of the island like Bophut and Chaweng so factor in timing for that and as well as costs because the taxis will gouge you and none of the trucks that go around the island take you close enough to the resort. Another thing is that I felt that outside of our suite, there weren't that many things to do. The breakfast area is nice to be sure but if you head down to the bottom and the beach, it's barely a beach at all.

Overall I rate this to be at least in the top 5 of Conrad resorts around the world having been to Bali (which I review) and of course #1 so far being the Maldives (which I just went to this year). Definitely worth a visit and even more so on points Just look at some of the photos and you'll see why.

Review:
http://goingawesomeplaces.com/hotel-...rad-koh-samui/

Blog Posts:
http://goingawesomeplaces.com/ko-sam...through-again/ (we moved from Le Meridien to the Conrad on this day)

Last edited by willsterstyle; Apr 30, 2014 at 10:27 am
Old Feb 3, 2014, 6:46 pm

Originally Posted by Kraut
So no more free restaurant shuttle?
No free shuttle! Have to work it out either with the concierge or the restaurant you want. I was glad the resort at least offers transportation, as I'm sure they prefer you stay on site and eat at their venues.
Old Feb 6, 2014, 11:51 pm

Shuttle

i'm at the resort now, and was offered a 'free limousine ride' to the local restaurant. I have not taken the offer, but I believe it exists.

R301 is fantastic, as is everything about the resort except the beach they take you to by boat.

It's a joke. It's a public beach, but there are no facilities - no chairs, no umbrellas, nothing. They set everyone up on mats under a tree. The beach isnt maintained, and the water is very shallow. I would pass on this and just be happy with the beach at the resort, rocky as it may be.

I plan to snorkel there later today and will update.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.