Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE to 2017] Conrad Koh Samui {THA}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE to 2017] Conrad Koh Samui {THA}

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2017, 5:05 am

Programs: Airlines - Only in the pointy end on points, Hilton Diamond
We had fantastic service during our stay 2 weeks ago.

In particular Marco (Operations Manager), Mod (Guest Services Manager) and the new sommelier Ex.

After talking with us about food, wine and whisky during our dinner in the Cellar Ex mentioned he wanted to try something different at Jahn using whisky and offered to create a whisky pairing during our last dinner at Jahn.

In short it it was fantastic.

Service is not as polished as Rangali, however that is partially due to language skills. Everyone was extremely friendly and courteous.

We will be booking again for next year. It also helps that we spent 1/2 as much in a week at Koh Samui than we did in 4 days on Rangali thanks to our Hilton premium Club membership
Old Aug 31, 2017, 5:44 am

Programs: SPG/Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Am staying at the property now and aside from a wee bit more guests due to an ongoing wedding reception, the hard product is absolutely top notch. Unparalleled room, private pool, privacy and expanse of space. Watching sunrise and sunsets in your own pool suite is quite like nothing else.

Service can be slightly wanting, but generally the warmth and willingness of the thai hospitality makes up for it. On a beach vacation after all, I'm relaxed and don't mind waiting slightly more. As a Diamond, I've been treated very well. Custom amenities, room upgrade, breakfast, happy hour, and complimentary drink coupons. Diamond members should feel well-taken care of!

As a beach resort, there are a ton of activities included on the property. We've done snorkelling, yoga, cooking classes, and am looking forward to the private island boat charter tomorrow (and this is only day 2 for us!). You'll find more than enough to keep you busy!

But then again, lounging by the private pool is also my favourite part of the day

One of the crown jewels in Conrad's property portfolio!
Old Aug 31, 2017, 8:11 am

What upgrade did you get and was it a points booking?
Old Aug 31, 2017, 8:29 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
I am staying this weekend on a points booking and have been upgraded to an Oceanview retreat pool villa as a Diamond member. What's the difference between Oceanview and Oceanview Retreat? Does that mean a villa on the 300 level? Should I ask for a specific one?
Old Aug 31, 2017, 10:16 am

Yes. Standard upgrade is to the beach level (100s), 2nd tier upgrade is to the 300s which are the Ocean View Retreats. I'm guessing that, whenever they can, they give the standard 'upgrade' (which is somewhat of a downgrade in many people's eyes) to the beach level to non-HH guests and to the 300s and upwards to HH elites.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 12:18 pm

Originally Posted by MaldivesFreak
I'm guessing that, whenever they can, they give the standard 'upgrade' (which is somewhat of a downgrade in many people's eyes) to the beach level to non-HH guests and to the 300s and upwards to HH elites.
They must have gotten some feedback to that effect, as since last month or so the 100's have become the standard room made available on points bookings.
Old Sep 4, 2017, 3:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by mnscout
Accidentally stumbled upon this thread again. Brings back memories. To address the transportation question, look, just rent a car. Driving anywhere on the island is easy despite the "wrong" side of the road (and the steering wheel) and even in darkness. I enjoyed my stay thoroughly, but I wouldn't have enjoyed it as much if I weren't free to drive wherever I wanted on the whim. You will be miserable in your villa in the evenings with absolutely nothing to do. Just get a good GPS and don't worry about cabs, transfers and other nonsense.
Is there GPS to rent? Or good wifi in the airport? I've been used to using my phone or iPad in airplane mode after getting the route downloaded via wifi. Have done this a lot internationally and so long as you don't venture off your route it works.

Anyone have any experience trying this?
Old Sep 4, 2017, 5:05 pm

Originally Posted by mnredfox
I've been used to using my phone or iPad in airplane mode after getting the route downloaded via wifi. Have done this a lot internationally and so long as you don't venture off your route it works.
No idea about Apple Maps, but Thailand is one of those countries for which you cannot download an offline Google map.

What I do is use a local SIM, as data packages are so cheap. If you are flying in from BKK, you could buy one before flying to USM.

The only challenging part is getting from the airport to route 4169, the road which goes around the island. It is much easier if you take a left out of the airport to get onto 4171. Following the shortest route on Google Maps will initially take you through a stressful maze of small streets for 10-15 minutes.

The last stretch from route 4170 is now well marked, unlike in the early days.

The northwestern part of 4169 (counter-clockwise route, slightly longer) has less traffic, better pavement (much of it redone this year), less hills to slow down heavily laden vehicles, wider roads, and fewer tourists on slow scooters unaware local custom is to ride on shoulders.
Old Sep 5, 2017, 2:41 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
I recently stayed here for two nights and wanted to offer some thoughts.

As a Diamond member I was upgraded to Oceanview retreat villa. I thought that meant a villa number starting with a "3" but I got 222. A lovely villa, unobstructed view, no occupied villas looking down on us (it looked like there was one under construction above us)

Didn't pre-book any restaurants or activities and maybe that was a mistake. On arrival learned that they had fire dancing show at Azure (pool) restaurant at 7ish on Friday and Saturday nights. Called to book a table for that for that night and was told they didn't have any tables left in front right by the pool only in the back.

Azure is a very small restaurant, dare I say more like a snack bar, and back row tables share a long cushioned bench. Our table was right next to a family with small children also sharing that bench, which was not ideal. There were a few families here for dinner, not sure if that's because of the fire dancing or because the places has burgers and chicken fingers or because we ate dinner at 6:30 pm. Anyway, if dining here, fire show or no fire show, ask for table in front by the pool.

Also called to book the complimentary speedboat trip to island for next day. they have trips at 10:00, 11:45, and 1:45. When I called they only had seats left for the next day at 1:45. By the way hotel was not full, at least as of night before they still had five villas left for sale.

I thought the boat trip was quite nice and I don't love boats or beaches. The island isn't amazing but it has a small restaurant with tables and it's not a bad place to relax for an hour. The scenery on the boat trip is nice.

One tip I will give is this: when you go on the boat trip they collect your shoes (probably your flip flops) in a basket before you get on the boat and give them back to you when you arrive back at the hotel. I recommend grabbing your shoes when you get off the boat at the island. Because there's a restroom on the island and walking in there in bare feet is gross.

At dinner next night at Zest and it was very good, no reservation, appropriately "adult" meal, quiet, low lighting, nice ambiance, etc.

Breakfast both days at Zest was very good.

Villa 222 is on far end of the 200 level but still very walkable to Zest in five minutes especially going there (downhill). I recommend paying attention when on the buggy ride to your villa to see if anything is close/walkable.

Oh the schedule in our villa about activities mentioned that the shuttle to Chaweng is complimentary only for guests staying four or more nights. Not sure if that has been mentioned here or if they waive the four night requirement for Honors elite members.

Overall a very nice property, great service, I do recommend booking activities/meals/tables a few days in advance by email if you will be on a tight schedule.
Old Sep 5, 2017, 10:18 am

Thanks for the data points. Have updated the wiki and made a few changes there as well.
Old Sep 6, 2017, 1:55 am

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Has anyone done the Thai cooking class for 2500 THB/p?

Few updates,used google maps from the airport and it worked fine. Took the maze of small streets on the way and no issues. Really like the idea of your own car.

Not sure when someone last had free drinks at HH but currently B1G1 cocktails and beer only. And no you can't use the cert for the paid drink.

No lucky draw and no Shanghai Tang either (out of stock).

Last edited by mnredfox; Sep 6, 2017 at 4:59 am
Old Sep 6, 2017, 6:57 am

Programs: Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond, United Global Services
Originally Posted by mnredfox
Has anyone done the Thai cooking class for 2500 THB/p?
My husband and I did the Thai Cooking Class and love it. There was soo much food! We took our left overs back to our room and finished them that evening. We took our recipe cards home (we made 4 dishes) and have made the dishes a few times. Also, they let you keep your cooking apron.
Old Sep 6, 2017, 9:35 am

Originally Posted by JetSet05
they let you keep your cooking apron.
Does it have 'Conrad Koh Samui' on it by any chance?
Old Sep 6, 2017, 6:23 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond, United Global Services
Originally Posted by MaldivesFreak
Does it have 'Conrad Koh Samui' on it by any chance?
Yes it does!
Old Sep 6, 2017, 10:01 pm

Originally Posted by JetSet05
My husband and I did the Thai Cooking Class and love it. There was soo much food! We took our left overs back to our room and finished them that evening. We took our recipe cards home (we made 4 dishes) and have made the dishes a few times. Also, they let you keep your cooking apron.
Thanks for the feedback. Trying to decide what to do now. =)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.