Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE to 2014] DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in Europe

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE to 2014] DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in Europe

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2002, 7:49 pm

The Kensington Hilton in London has a 64 pound ($99) weekend rate, taxes and breakfast included, on the Hilton website.
Old Sep 18, 2002, 10:26 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond USAirways CP Hertz Pres Cir
Europe - no phone books?

O.k., so I have a question that perhaps our European members can answer. Why are there no phone books in the hotel room? Is this a cultural thing? Being a stupid American, am I missing something?

I recently stayed in London at the Hilton on Park, and had a great time -- but was frustrated by the lack of any phone numbers available anywhere in the room for any of my travel-related needs (e.g., airlines, car hire, etc.). I simply needed to make a few calls but when I called the front office manager to complain I was told to call the consierge to look up the numbers for me and who would even place the calls for me.

While this was fine for a couple phone numbers, I was insistent that at least the airlines should be listed in the hotel directory?!

As a frequent business traveller (but new to the UK) and as a diamond member I stongly suggested that they consider adding at least a few commonly-needed phone numbers to their directory, or make phone books available within the rooms.

The manager's first reaction was to note that London was too big to provide phone books within the rooms -- there are simply too many numbers. When I made the comparison to New York and Los Angeles, where phone books do list everyone the manager's reaction was very nasty! She insisted that this was a five-star hotel, and that they certainly would not be placing phone books in the rooms.

She noted that the consierge was adequate for everyone else but that they would be happy to deliver phone books to my room, just for me.
I have taken the issue up with Hilton guest relations, but am yet to hear back on the issue. Meanwhile, anyone else have similar experiences or could you please explain why I cannot have access to a few phone numbers?! I realize that she was saying I should rely on their staff, but I am a do-it-yourself kind of guy, and if I am paying the bill I expect to do it my way.

Needless to say, I didn't even both to ask for an iron, which probably would have gotten a similar answer. Of course I also neglected to tell her that the "five-star hotel" toilet wouldn't always flush, but I am sure she would have sent someone to do that for me too.

I hate complaining given that we had a wonderful time at the hotel despite these issues!
Old Sep 18, 2002, 12:09 pm

Programs: BW Diamond, Choice Plat, National Exec Elite
IMO, phone books in ANY european hotel room are the exception not the rule.

I think one needs to realize that American phone companies make much more revenue off phone books than their European counterparts do. You simply don't have the competition for service providers there yet that makes the telecoms search for other forms of revenue (i.e. phone book advertising).

The hotel should provide you with a directory? Okay, next time you are in a hotel in the US with one, be sure to look for the TWA number! The directory is not important enough to most customers to have an impact on room revenue, so frequently the directories are out of date.

Personally, I make sure to look up the local phone numbers I need for airlines, etc., before I leave home. No problems there!

[This message has been edited by duxfan (edited 09-18-2002).]
Old Sep 19, 2002, 2:19 am

Programs: BA Gold; VA Velocity Gold; LH FTL; Marriott Gold; ICHG Platinum AMB; Hilton Gold
It's a matter of cost. In the UK, a directory company is given the franchise to publish the official phone book, covering all telephone operators. They tend to charge relatively hefty fees for these if you are not a subscriber, though on the other hand advertising in the phone book is often cheaper than elsewhere.

As for there being "too many numbers" in London, that's rubbish. There is a single volume, slimline directory of business numbers in central London, which would be ideal for visitors (the residential directories are rather bigger).
Old Sep 24, 2002, 9:16 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond USAirways CP Hertz Pres Cir
Now I received a letter from Mark Deere, Director Operations at the London Hilton who says:

"...It is only practical for us to hold UK telephone books as we could not possibly keep up with the changes made daily on a global scale. We are, however, able to search any number at a Guests request."

I am not impressed. "Changes made daily on a global scale???" I am asking for access to a phone book, not to keep up with world events. I understand that they might not be readily available -- so why not just say that instead of feeding me a line?!!!
Old Sep 24, 2002, 9:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Despite never having to use a phone book while at a hotel I can imagine some people needing one, on the other hand, take a hotel like the Metropole, if every room needed a greater london phone book that would be one heck of a lot of waste paper, just the job of updating them every year would be tremendous, a better service would be to have instructions for directory service or someone in the back office search for you...
Old Sep 27, 2002, 10:09 am

Just returned from a trip to both Vienna and Budapest, staying at the Vienna Plaza and the Budapest Hilton.

Vienna Plaza: Very nice big rooms, with equally spacious bathrooms. Unfortunately there was a mix-up and I ended up getting a smoking room (despite having requested a no-smoking one) but they sent the bellboy up to sniff out several rooms for me to find one that did not smell. Gold card did not get upgrade ( I booked through a travel agent so I was expecting nothing) but free breakfast and access to the (not particularly exciting) executive lounge.
All in all: very good hotel, easy location (15 minutes walk is about the average to get to any of the tourist attractions), very good and attentive staff (if maybe a bit too keen to be of service: Strangely, during my stay they tried to "enroll" me as a new member into the Hhonors programme three times, despite my assurances every morning that I was already a gold member)
The restaurant was very good, and only the incessant piano playing (I don't usually criticize lounge musicians , but this one was truly awful) interferred with the enjoyment.
Only real complaint: the breakfast room is relatively small and the buffet not quite as varied as I am used to (not much of a complaint for most people, but I am particular about my breakfast :-)).

Hilton Budapest: Definitely best location for panorama, with a view onto the Danube and Pest with the Chainbridge in the middle. It's a bit of a trek to get anywhere, but if you're young and like walking (in my case both apply) you can manage to get to most places in a reasonable amount of time. And then there's always the old yet excellent public transport.
The hotel appears to appeal mainly to Spanish and American tourists, at least that was the impression every day at breakfast.
Again, as expected, no upgrade, but the room size made it feel like one (being used to small European Hilton room sizes). One gripe: the windows only open a tiny bit, so no lungfuls of fresh air in the morning.
"Of course" access to the lounge was granted with my gold card, and without having to ask too (very nice cakes in the afternoon... if you like that kind of thing, you'll need a diet after Budapest). The staff generally very friendly and efficient, only the restaurants are a bit of a letdown, with high prices and not so high quality.
Old Sep 27, 2002, 10:26 am

The BUP Hilton is very historical and on the Buda side has terrific views of the Duna and Pest. however you should know that it is not in the midst of the center city( Which is across the Duna). It is partially alike--although much closer---to the location of the Cavalieri in Rome--overlooking the city but not in the downtown area.
Just to help: if you wish to be in, or close to, to the "best" part of downtown(Vaci Utca) then you may wish to go with the new Four Seasons.
Old Oct 10, 2002, 7:59 pm
jfe
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Kicked out of all of them
Best reward in UK, France or Italy

I am ready to book an award for the first time, and I was thinking of spending a few points in either England, France or Italy, but there are tons of options with all the different types of awards. I want to stay at least 5 nights, and want to stay at a decent hotel.

Which rewards are good value in those places?

Thanks for the help

------------------
==================
Another evil plot for world domination through the use of points and miles.
Old Oct 11, 2002, 10:15 am
jfe
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Bump

I can't believe no one has traveled to those countries on an award, or is it that you don't want to share the experiences all over again?

------------------
==================
Old Oct 11, 2002, 12:09 pm

I would bet that collectively, FTers have stayed at every Hilton, everywhere, at least once. But if you want help, you've got to give us a bit more to go on.

What's your HHonors status? (It makes a difference)

Do you want a "decent" hotel, as it says in your post, or the "best" hotel, as it says in your title?

Do you want old-fashioned charm, or modern sleekness?

Do you want to stay in a city, or in the country?

Do you want nightlife, romance, culture, sports?

What are you looking for?
Old Oct 11, 2002, 12:58 pm

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador
For 150k I did the London Hilton. Good value
on nice room. For 100k I am doing the Tokyo
Hilton next year. I am also interested in
some stay ideas in Europe.
Old Oct 11, 2002, 1:37 pm
jfe
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I was only kidding about no one staying there, here are the answers:

What's your HHonors status? (It makes a difference) [b] GOLD [\B]

Do you want a "decent" hotel, as it says in your post, or the "best" hotel, as it says in your title? Best without breaking the bank

Do you want old-fashioned charm, or modern sleekness? Either way

Do you want to stay in a city, or in the country? City, would prefer the capitals; London, Paris or Rome

Do you want nightlife, romance, culture, sports? Culture, Romance

As we all do, the best possible deal

Thanks for the help

[Edited trying to make make the BOLD statements work

------------------
==================

[This message has been edited by jfe (edited 10-11-2002).]
Old Oct 28, 2002, 5:33 pm

Hilton HHonors Properties in Eastern Europe

I just got back from a trip to Eastern Europe and stayed at both Hilton's in Budapest, the Hilton Vienna, the Hilton Vienna Danube, and the Prague Hilton. At each hotel, the temperature inside the hotel was about 80 degrees farenheit; it felt like a sauna. I asked the front desk clerk at the Hilton Vienna why the hotel was so hot and she found my question amusing. She said that I was the only person who complained about the heat, and that she had received numerous complaints about it being too cold. I normally keep my home at 70 degrees, which I consider to be a bit on the toasty side, but to me 80 degrees is HOT. Does anyone know why in that part of the world the buildings are kept so HOT? It was not just at the hotels either, it was in virtually every building, restaurant, shop, etc. We had to sleep with the window open just to get a bit of relief. Is this a cultural thing?
Old Oct 28, 2002, 6:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
I've noticed the same thing in the UK and a few other cold winter climates. I find myself wearing a warm jacket with light clothing underneath.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.