Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE to 2014] DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in Europe

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE to 2014] DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in Europe

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2002, 2:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fly UA MM 1K, Sleep Hyatt & IHG, Hertzer. 2022 Flyertalk Fantasy Football Champion
To answer a few questions:

1. It has to be one of those properties because I must use a GLON Cert (non-premium property). The cert is going to expire and it cannot be extended. Even though I'm a Diamond the cert is from another person's account and without going into private details just believe me - it will expire if it's not used.

2. I'm not going to spend money on a hotel when I have a certificate for 6 free nights; that would be just plain dumb.

3. My dad is 69 but he is in almost perfect physical shape. He can still do just about any activity that your average healthy 45 year old man could do.

4. I've been to both of these cities with my wife and we stayed in town (Hilton Paris and Westin Excelsior) both times and had arrived via train. So I'm not familiar with any of the airports.

With that said, are these locations/properties so bad that it is better to just not go at all? That seems a little extreme, but then I don't know these properties/areas - am I missing something?
Old Nov 23, 2002, 5:13 pm

Rome will have better weather and should be slightly warmer than Paris in January. Have you considered Brussels, Belgium? It has many cool things to see and do, the cuisine is excellent, and there are some good day trips from there, such as Brugge. I believe the Hilton Brussels is a Classic property, so you should be able to use a GLON award. The reason I suggest Brussels is that it is an excellent city, has a great Hilton hotel, and the hotel is CENTRALLY located.

Along these same lines, you may consider Vienna, Austria. The Hilton Vienna Plaza is a fabulous hotel, is centrally located, and is only a Classic, so you could use a GLON there too. Vienna is magnificent, has loads of culture, art, music, incredible architecture, and food. Unless you have your heart set on Paris or Rome exclusively, I'd give some serious consideration to Brussels or Vienna. I've been to all 4 of these cities and each one is amazing. You can't go wrong with any of them, but the above-posts are correct in that there is a definite benefit to having a centrally located hotel.
Old Nov 23, 2002, 7:13 pm
Suspended

Would also highly recommend the Conrad Brussels for the use of the GLON, since this hotel is also rated a Classic (a rating I cant figure out since the hotel is much nicer than the Paris Hilton, on Ave Suffren)
Had a 3 day award stay there early Oct, got a room upgrade and free breakfast (no executive lounge)was able to get full breakfast for the difference of Continental to full = 5 euro.
Location upscale Ave Louise, short walk to
good subway system and trams stops and dozens of (some very) good restaurants (two whole pedestrian-only streets of them just two blocks away)
Area is also close to antique district around Place Sabon.
Mike

[This message has been edited by MIKESILV (edited 11-23-2002).]
Old Nov 23, 2002, 11:06 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM
Yes, Brussels is a very nice city to visit. There are definitely a few interesting things to see there. But, how could I put this in the gentlest way possible, it's not the most exciting city in Europe. It's charming and the food is great. But six days in Brussels alone is a bit too much.

If you plan to stay at the Conrad or Hilton in Brussels for six days, I'd recommend a day trip to Bruges and/or Antwerp. Train travel within Belgium is very easy, inexpensive, and convenient.

Also, day trips to London are possible on Eurostar. It's two and three quarter hour ride (passport required). Eurostar offers weekend day return tickets for only in €145 first class and in €85 second class.

http://www.sncb.be

Day trips to Paris are even easier and less expensive on Thalys. There are over 20 Thalys trains each day running at over 180 mph between the two capitals.

http://www.thalys.com
Old Nov 23, 2002, 11:19 pm

Programs: NW Plat (now they call it DL Diamond) 1MM, soon to be DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Dusit Gold
Rome Hilton Airport has a very nice concierge floor and lounge. I echo the comments about distance, both Rome and Paris.

Transportation from Orly or DeGaulle is better than from Fiumincino. From either Paris airport, just hop on the RER and transfer to the Metro in central Paris. The "Paris Visite" pass is valid on the RER.

If you decide on Rome, either take the hotel van to central Rome or walk over to the train station and take the train that does not go to Termini. It costs approximately 1/2 of the express and stops at Ostia, Tiburtina and similar stations which are more convenient to central Rome.

If you want to eat cheaply, reasonably, or even somewhat overpriced at this hotel, you cannot! Breakfast is of course included since I assume that you are at least Gold. Quite good buffet, but could become boring 6 days in a row. The evening snacks in the concierge lounge are, IMO, of poor quality, as is the extremely overpriced food in the downstairs buffet and coffee shop. Wine service starts at 1830 and my experience says you have to ask. Bring your own before 1830. Beer, juice, coffee, diet coke and coke, fanta etc. are available all day as are simple cold nibbles. There are no restaurants within a reasonable distance of the airport. The nice thing is that you could rent a car for day trips north of Rome because of excellent Autostrada access which bypasses the heinous Rome traffic. Unfortunately, the formerly free parking directly in front of the hotel is now chained off. Rental cars are in the parking garage across from the hotel. Car return from the hotel can be confusing at best.

Please e-mail should you have any specific questions.

Old Nov 24, 2002, 6:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
Ken,

How about Vienna or Prague?

The Hilton Prague is really nice, and if you're a Gold/Diamond there is a very nice Executive Lounge.

The Hilton Vienna is very well situated and is the terminal for the motor coaches to the airport. Just don't buy any drinks in the hotel bar - I paid $13 for a Crown Royal and 7-up... The Hilton Vienna Plaza is supposedly even nicer.

The RER ride out to CDG will NOT be fun. When we did it inbound at 10am, the conductor came and talked with us about being careful as he said there is substantial crime (mostly muggings and thefts) on that route.

[This message has been edited by ElmhurstNick (edited 11-24-2002).]
Old Nov 24, 2002, 6:47 am

I like Frank O'Fael's (sp?) Brussels suggestion!! While it's true that 6 days in Brussels might be a bit much, day trips by train would be simple to Bruges (about 1 hr each way) or Paris (1hr 25mins each way).
Old Nov 24, 2002, 6:58 am

I second the vote for the Conrad Brussels. Do six nights there and take day trips by train to Amsterdam and Bruges and/or Antwerp.

btw, my old band did a song about Antwerp:

http://www.accessplace.com/gdtc/1027.htm
Old Nov 24, 2002, 8:12 am
Original Member, Moderator: Hotel Deals and MilesBuzz

Just a common sense question...

Since your dad has never left North America, has he acquired a passport? If not, he better hustle to get one in time!

------------------
Addicted to airline miles? Check out: Mileage Workshop --- "You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer." - Frank Zappa (1940-93)
Old Nov 24, 2002, 8:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fly UA MM 1K, Sleep Hyatt & IHG, Hertzer. 2022 Flyertalk Fantasy Football Champion
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Since your dad has never left North America, has he acquired a passport? If not, he better hustle to get one in time!
</font>
The San Francisco passport agency is real cool. All he had to do was tell them he had a trip coming soon and they process your passport the same day!

I can't tell you all how much I appreciate the responses and suggestions. Later this evening I'm going to look at all of the rail options to/from Brussels. I know the Eurostar will take you to London and Paris, so maybe we'll try that as an option.

I was really leaning toward Rome, however it seems that the consensus here is that the hotel, while nice, is so far out of the city that it would make for a horrific week.

Old Nov 24, 2002, 9:03 am

Programs: AA 2 MM LIfetime Platinum, SPG Platinum, Hilton Silver, BA
I second the vote for Brussels, and definitely take a trip to Brugge. In fact if you could extend your stay beyond six nights, you do some touring of Belgium. I did a week in Belgium with my husband about 2 years ago and rented a car. The roads are great, the signage clear, and it's a small enough country that you can really get around. We stayed at a couple of Inns, went back to Brugge and found a restaurant we had dined at 15 years before. There are wonderful museums re WWI and there are so many cities worth spending some time. This is not to offend anyone, but Belgium is like France without the arrogance. People are helpful and don't expect you to know French and Flemish. We drove into Luxomberg which was also a treat. So, there are lots of day trips out of Brussels and then areas where it would be nice to not have to return to Brussels for the night - so if you have more time....You might want to think about renting a car and not having to rely on train schedules. I actually went to Brussels for the President's week-end which was 6 weeks Before our planned week. There was a cheap fare, bonuses at the time, and I was able to do the Platinum challenge by adding the extra trip. I explained to everyone that I was scouting out the place. For the second trip I told everyone that I had run out of chocolate from the first trip.

------------------
Ms.DtG
Old Nov 24, 2002, 9:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF FB Platinum For Life (F+ Rouge VintageŽ) / Hertz President's Circle / SNCF Grand Voyageur Le Club
TMK - you have gotten some very good advice here. I'd go for Brussels as well, especially if you can get the Conrad which is a nice property and very well situated. As wideman points out, the Thalys (high speed train between Paris and the Benelux countries) is just a short trip from city center to city center and a whole lot more comfortable than the RER!

Rome would most likely have nicer weather, but the thought of spending a week in one of the most beautiful cities in the world stuck out at the airport is depressing (to me).

My brother was in Italy for two weeks last year and spent his last night at the Rome airport Hilton (he had spent five days in the city center at the beginning of his trip). He said the property was fine (perfect for an early morning flight) and the shuttle to town was easy and fairly quick, but he couldn't believe that people would actually stay there to visit Rome.

Edit to add: hope you have a great trip with your Dad wherever you go. Feel free to e-mail me if you need any suggestions for Paris or Brussels. Also, Antwerp is a very short train trip for Brussels and a fun place to make a day trip.

[This message has been edited by blairvanhorn (edited 11-24-2002).]
Old Nov 24, 2002, 10:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

I agree with the above posts, Brussels is well worth a visit with Brugges a wondeful city for a day trip (or possibly stay overnight there).
The Hilton Brussels and Brussels City are both good with the Brussels one ( near Ave. Louise) better.
There is the Hilton Brussels Residence also but do not know much about that one.

Regards
TBS
Old Nov 24, 2002, 9:48 pm

Ken,
I've been to two of the three you mentioned and the Conrad at BRU.

My first choice will be Rome. So many things to see, a lot of history and culture to get him busy for six days. FCU Hilton is a nice modern hotel, friendly staff, daily hotel shuttle to downtown, and the weather is not bad this time of the year (specially for Northern Californian )

Paris CDG will be my second choice.
From Paris you could take a day trip to Brussels or Amsterdam.

AndrewM

Old Nov 25, 2002, 5:59 am

Given the choice of cities at that time of year, Rome would win IMO. But the choice of the Hilton Airport just doesn't work IMO.

Just remember that the trip to/from the Centro Storico (central Rome) could be anywhere from 25-30 minutes on a Sunday morning to well over an hour (or more) with traffic. Despite his great health, we are talking about a trip for a 69 year old man. Given that most of us like to go back to our hotel at some point during the day to set down purchases, rest, or freshen up before dinner, the Rome Airport Hilton just doesn't work in this case.

[This message has been edited by Jerry Garcia (edited 11-25-2002).]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.