Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE to 2014] DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in Europe

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE to 2014] DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in Europe

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2002, 11:47 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Canista:
In Paris 3 choices:

CDG
La Defense (new)
Suffren (near Eiffel Tower)

</font>
Aren't there 4 Hiltons ? What anout Paris Orly ?

Absik001
Old May 10, 2002, 12:58 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

I know this is a bit off topic, but I was just in Paris this weekend. I checked prices for all the Hilton properties in the Paris area and they were all ridiculously priced. I opted for the Le Meridien Montparnasse for a weekend click it rate of 165 Euros. They don't release these rooms till the week before but if cost is an issue I would highly recommend this hotel. The staff were extremely friendly. The room were small but nicely sized for Europe. I have no status with Le Meridien but was very pleased with the stay. This hotel is also right across the street from a metro stop which made it convenient to get around town. I opted for price over points in the instance but I won't have a problem making status for this year anyway.

Just my 0.02.

Rachel

------------------
Rachel
CO - Platinum
Hilton - Diamond
SPG - Platinum
Old May 10, 2002, 9:27 pm

Hilton Park in Munschen is a great hotel! Excellent Executive Club. Great pool and work out.
Old May 21, 2002, 3:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hiltons in Western Europe

Does anyone have any recommendations for Hiltons in Western Europe? I'll have some free days in Europe this summer. Has anyone stayed at Hilton Brussels Center or Hilton Luxembourg? Or other places, I'm easy.

Thanks, Paul
Old May 22, 2002, 2:06 pm

I'm a big fan of the Hiltons in Frankfurt, Berlin and Munich City. In FRA if you get one of the corner room upgrades the view is great. Berlin has a great view of the Gendarmenmarkt. Both Berlin and Munich have U-Bahn access either in the hotel (Munich) or immediately outside (Berlin).
Old May 22, 2002, 3:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi PaulMSN,

I sayed at the Hilton Brussels ( Boulevard de Waterloo) over Easter ( HH Gold) .I was given a corner room overlooking the older part of brussels with a welcome plate of mimi belgian chocolate easter eggs/strawberries. Buffet was ok.Location is good. Fitness room is small and no swimming pool.
I second the suggestion of Hilton Berlin- Very good hotel and room with good facilites.

Regards
TBS
Old May 24, 2002, 5:12 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, UA Gold
Luxembourg Hilton formerly was the Intercontinental Luxembourg and is one of the two best hotels in town. It is situated a bit outside of Luxembourg-City on a hill. It features two very good restaurants. As I have not stayed there (I live only a couple of miles away) I cannot comment on the rooms.

Muerz
Old May 26, 2002, 10:48 pm

Location: San Francisco, CA USA // UA 1K 2 Million Miler, AA EXP 2MM, HH Diamond, SPG Plat // Easily found on SFO-ORDs
Hmm... let's see:[list][*]Hilton Amsterday: strongly recommend: nice, quiet location, fabulous Executive Lounge atrium on the top floor with great breakfast, gracious staff[*]Hilton Munich City: nice property, well (German) run; good breakfast in the main dining room (no Executive Lounge)[*]Hilton London Paddington: great in theory, still working out some kinks-- but worth a look[*]Hilton Berlin: awesome! try for an upgrade to the club floor, but don't expect much from the fitness room (really small, poor equipment)[*]Hilton Paris: nice hotel, nothing special[*]Hilton Dublin: avoid... absolutely nothing special, indeed, old feeling and highly untrained/unhelpful staff
Old May 27, 2002, 1:30 am

Programs: QR platinum
Hilton Munich Park - *****
Hilton Amsterdam - *****
Hilton Cannes - *****
3 excellent Hilton properties
Old Jun 19, 2002, 3:55 pm
Suspended

Interesting phone call from Hilton today...Hilton to open new hotel chain in europe !

Got a phone call from Hilton on my cellphone!! today.It was actually some kind of market research....

They asked me, if I had 15 minutes to answer some questions on their new midlevel hotel chain in europe.

After some basic marketing stuff ( Would you prefer the name in conjunction with "by Hilton" or "part of the Hilton family of hotels" they came up with some more detailed stuff.

It appeared, that they think about establishing a new midlevel hotel chain with more moderate prices and reduced service.
The last questions were all about Scandic, perhaps they are rebranding the Scandic hotels

Unfortunately I am not able to provide more info, but I would love to see Hilton creating a mixture of Garden Inns or Hampton Inn in europe...

Actually, they are pretty weak all over europe, except the UK.

Beside that they are operating in the 4-5* sector only at the moment, so a midlevel chain would fit perfectly....

What are your thoughts ??
Would you use the new chain or still prefer the more exclusive Hiltons ??
More important, will the new chain take away business from the regular Hiltons ??

Old Jun 19, 2002, 4:48 pm

Could they mean Scandic:

http://www.scandic-hotels.com/br/40/hilton/hilton.htm
Old Jun 19, 2002, 5:21 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">What are your thoughts ??
Would you use the new chain or still prefer the more exclusive Hiltons ??
More important, will the new chain take away business from the regular Hiltons ??
</font>

I would consider the new chain as a competitor to independent midrange hotels in the same price range, and as an opportunity for Europeans to build status as Americans have been able to (at moderate cost).

Given the room rates at current European Hiltons, I doubt people would cross-shop them with midrange ones, save die-hard HH members.
Old Jun 19, 2002, 6:24 pm

Scandic Hotels are definitely mid range. Simple amenities, functional Nordic design, english language cable tv stations, very few with business centres. They seem to be very well located and are priced very reasonably. Good buffet breakfasts. Not quite Radisson SAS and definitely not Hilton.

------------------
I miss Canadian Airlines
Old Jun 19, 2002, 6:31 pm
DOC 2 BE

I seem to recall that when the acquisition of Scandic was announced, those from Hilton who had commented said that they looked forward to introducing the Doubletree brand and other mid-market brands to Europe. I suppose this is what the call is about since they specifically keyed it into the existing Scandic hotels.

The market research probably has to do with the fact that Hilton's only presence in Europe is Hilton or Conrad, unlike the USA, and I would guess that few Europeans recognize the other Hilton family member hotels -- since they, too, are but a recent acquisition -- of no more than 2-3 years (?).

Therefore, their question of starting a new brand -- but with the recognizable tag-line "By Hilton" -- to influence Europeans, North Americans, etc. alike.

I think the latter choice is the better one, as I bet that many Europeans may never have heard of Scandic, itself, given that it was a regional entity.

Old Jun 19, 2002, 7:59 pm

Programs: DL, UA, AA, B6, BA (airline status-free leisure traveler), Hilton Diamond
I think that a mid-priced brand like Hampton Inn would go over very well in Europe. During my multiple trips there I have seen tiny hotel rooms, inconsistencies on their idea of "continental breakfast", no electronic locks on doors, and little idea of what a non-smoking room is. GO Hampton!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.