Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE to 2014] DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in Europe

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE to 2014] DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in Europe

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2003, 4:29 pm

We ran into the same trouble when trying to book a room at a London hotel. I booked in with an award and then e-mailed the reservations manager at the hotel hotel and requested a roll-away bed or a room with a sofa bed. They said that they would honor the request. I'll let you know in a few weeks if everything works out as planned.
Old May 6, 2003, 5:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
The rooms are generally quite a bit smaller than in N.America and won't sleep 3 or 4 easily or comfortably. There may be literally only one double bed in the room and precious little to bring in a cot, even if some hotels were willing to do that.

I'd say you might find it a tight fit, but should survive the short 2 night stay you mentioned. And I wouldn't bother trying to 'sneak' the family in because to be fair to the hotel, they need to know who is staying there in case of an emergency. Just be upfront with check in staff and explain you always stay in one room with the kids and didn't expect a problem at such a fine establishment as the ATH Hilton.

BTW, if you have any elite status, it might be worth dropping that into the conversation should it reach an impasse.
Old May 6, 2003, 7:13 pm

Location: Valley Springs, Ca USA;Proud Retired AAer SJC Ramp/ AA- 2 MM Platinum;Hilton Diamond
Or just do what the Europeans do. Check in with two of your party but occupy the room with all four.
Old May 6, 2003, 8:27 pm

Location: MHT, DL DM & now KM!/ formerNW Plat /HH Diamond/SPG plat
Since you mention that its a 5 year old and an infant, I think you're fine. We did Europe with 3 to a room no problem (still had to do 2 rooms as we're a family of 6). Most hotels will stuff a roll-away in there, but one of my kids usually just did a pallet on the floor. All the Hiltons we stayed at though were fine with the 3/room on the reservation. I haven't heard the 2 limitation. Try 3, don't count the little one.
Old May 6, 2003, 11:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
On a paid reservation at the Narita Hilton, I was unable to reserve a room online for more than two, to accommodate my 9- and 10-year-old boys, who don't mind too much sleeping on the floor.

So I reserved what was available. They and my wife stood ten yards behind me, with my bags, as I checked in, and no comment was made.
Old May 7, 2003, 6:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
You'll have no problem. The CSRs in the US will jump up and down and vociferously deny that more than two will even *fit* into the rooms, never mind lie down to sleep -- but you'll be fine. To get the real scoop you might want to call the HH center in the country you are travelling to. The folks in Sweden were more than happy to deal with an honest request about this while the folks in the US absolutely refused to book just one room for me once I let them know there would be more than two people.
Old May 7, 2003, 7:55 am
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
Some European countries have very strict regulations regarding the number of people per room. Some of this is due to fire regulations; others are to protect the tourism industry. (We rented a very large castle in Italy that could have slept dozens, but was only licensed for 14. The owner said he could pay steep fines if he violated that.) I wouldn't be so sure you'll be fine. I find it doubtful the hotel will not realize you have four people. I'd call the hotel directly and see if they have a larger room that accommodates your needs.
Old May 7, 2003, 11:13 am

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
Thank you to all who responded! I feel kind of confident that I will be fine...I won't request the certificates before May 31 and it will cost me 10,000 less points, hooray! this must be one of the few hotels that the points needed for award stays goes down!

Thanks again.
Old May 7, 2003, 12:34 pm
Suspended

Programs: I do this for a living.
You'll all fit, just make the little buggers sleep in the bathtub!

------------------
-Otto
Old May 7, 2003, 11:32 pm

Programs: HH Silver
LOL Otto
Old May 8, 2003, 9:01 am

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Given how small some of those beds can be, they may have more room in the bathtub!

------------------
Sharon
Old May 8, 2003, 9:30 am

Location: Bklyn, NY. ex-UA 1P, ex-US pref, ex-CO plat, ex-DL sil, ex-HH dmnd. Presently Free Agent
Most Euro Hiltons have family rooms that legally, but uncomfortably sleep three.

Getting a crib into one will be more of a space issue than a hotel one.
Old May 8, 2003, 10:30 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by gpapadop:
won't request the certificates before May 31 and it will cost me 10,000 less points, hooray!
Thanks again.
</font>
How did this happen? I missed something. Are point stretchers listed past May 31st now? I could not find the list. Thanks.
Old May 8, 2003, 10:38 am

Programs: HHonors Silver
Maybe the hotel award class is lower after 6/1.
Old May 8, 2003, 10:44 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by fscher:
How did this happen?</font>
Athens Hilton moves down in the category on June 1, from Classic to Category 3.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.