Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

100,000 Points for maintaining diamond?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2015, 4:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G and *A Top 1000; HHonors Diamond; *$ Gold; Global Entry

Is there a link for Gold members? I tried the Diamond link and was not eligible.
Old Feb 3, 2015, 4:46 pm

Originally Posted by arlflyer
No, I agree, and while I'm personally indeed feeling a bit offended by this, I'm sure there was some thought, at least on paper, put into determining who gets what.

However, that said, my larger gripe is simply with the fact that this is being done opaquely. The whole point of a loyalty/reward program is to reward...something. Time spent, money spent, referrals, whatever. Doing this without explaining why it's being done does nothing. It reinforces no message. The people who get it are happy, but don't know why they got it, and the people who don't are steamed because they've just been stiffed in return for their loyalty.

Rewards are supposed to reinforce a behavior. If you do X, you get Y, therefore customer will be inclined to try to do X (and thus get Y) again. But this has no such marketing value because no one knows what they are being rewarded for.

If there is a challenge or whatever that only some people can earn, fine. But just make it clear and tied to something so that a big chunk of your loyal customers don't just feel neglected for their business. It's one thing to not qualify and think "Ok, well, next time". It's another to just feel like you were abandoned or forgotten, and while I'm a few years removed from marketing class, I don't that recall that being a desirable customer sentiment.

But this has been repeatedly demonstrated to not be tied to any email. People are getting this through the deep link, which anyone can access and try to log into.

Also, my status email for 2015 came in December. Are some people just getting them now?
Well said, coming from a long time Diamond.
Old Feb 3, 2015, 4:54 pm

Programs: DL DM 2MM, AA Gold MM, Hilton LTD, Marriott LTP, Hertz PC
Just got the email from Hilton for 100,000 points, but I had already registered from the link posted earlier.

First promotional offer I have received in a very long time. Been Diamond for about 14 years.
Old Feb 3, 2015, 5:07 pm

Programs: -UA 1K-Hilton Diamond-
Been Diamond for many years (10+) rcd. offer.. Personally really stinks all Diamonds did not receive this ..but remember with devalued points this is really only a 1 night stay at a decent Hilton property.... ( if that..... during prime time )
Old Feb 3, 2015, 5:31 pm

Originally Posted by CFFrost
I never feel "entitled" to an unpublished benefit. It's just a freebie! Great to those that get it - why the jealousy, resentment, and sense of entitlement? It wasn't something that anyone earned, it was gratuitous.
I'll walk into your office and take 50% of your coworkers out for a steak dinner this Friday. You'll be a bigger man than me if you shrug your shoulders and say you feel happy for them. It's human nature.

And again, this comes back to the nature of it being opaque - we don't actually know if it was earned or if it wasn't. In fact, if it wasn't earned, but was truly random, that might be a fantastic way to promote loyalty. 1 in 3 diamonds every year gets 100k points, boom. Incentivizes people to stay around for, on statistical average, 3 years. Brilliant. But it needs to be made clear as such, or else it just seems pointless and has no impact, only generates a bunch of "Why am I not good enough?" and "What did I do wrong?" sentiments.
Old Feb 3, 2015, 5:33 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors LT Diamond, Marriott Gold Delta Gold, Avis Preferred Plus,
Originally Posted by DevilDawg1960
What were you stats with HH - Long time diamond, diamond, Other? Some of us with real long term loyalty have been told that we are not eligible for anything. Checking spam folder and wishing the tooth fairy will come are not going to do anything.

This is a double whammy for those of us who are lontime supporters of the HH program as it continues to flood the program with miles that make it more difficult to redeem awards and forces HH to inflate redemption rates to deal with the flood. I earned my miles the old fashioned way over 20 years as a Diamond. Now every Tom, Dick, and Sally can be a Diamond - total dilution of program and benefits.
Did you try the link to see if it works? I sent an email to HHonors and they replied.

I am unable to extend this offer as this was a targeted offer available for select participants. However, I will be happy to extend a special offer of 2,500 bonus points for your first/next stay within the next 60 days.

Then I went to the link and Bam it said congrats here is your 100K.
Old Feb 3, 2015, 5:38 pm
havnfn

Programs: Delta-DM; Hilton-Diamond; Hyatt-Diamond
Got the email but I'd already signed up earlier today using the link.
Old Feb 3, 2015, 5:43 pm

Programs: Hhonors Diamond, Fairmont Platinum
E-mail came in this afternoon, but like the others I'd used the link yesterday.
Old Feb 3, 2015, 6:01 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Delta Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Football Fan
Hmm could it be that some of those who didn't get this get Lifetime Diamond instead?
I think you're correct.....I got the 100,000 but I think the big prize Lifetime status will go to the long time Diamonds. I'm only Diamond since 2006
Old Feb 3, 2015, 6:08 pm

Originally Posted by arlflyer
I'll walk into your office and take 50% of your coworkers out for a steak dinner this Friday. You'll be a bigger man than me if you shrug your shoulders and say you feel happy for them. It's human nature.

And again, this comes back to the nature of it being opaque - we don't actually know if it was earned or if it wasn't. In fact, if it wasn't earned, but was truly random, that might be a fantastic way to promote loyalty. 1 in 3 diamonds every year gets 100k points, boom. Incentivizes people to stay around for, on statistical average, 3 years. Brilliant. But it needs to be made clear as such, or else it just seems pointless and has no impact, only generates a bunch of "Why am I not good enough?" and "What did I do wrong?" sentiments.
On the contrary, it appears that this incentive may have partly gone to people that didn't earn it - the folks who have stayed less, who Hilton is trying to incentivize into more activity. It would be counter-intuitive for Hilton to say "stay fewer than XX nights this year, and we will give you 100,000 points next year!" That would defeat the point - which is why the promotion must be opaque to be successful, from Hilton's perspective.

In my case, I spent $40k on the card for Diamond but all of my stays with Hilton last year (only about 12 nights) were reward nights. Maybe they are assuming my cash stays must go elsewhere, and are hoping that with more incentives I'll bring my business to them. Maybe they analyzed my folios and realized that, even on an award stay I'm a profitable customer since I spend at their properties (which was probably the case this year, as I think back on my stays).

Maybe they actually decided that giving a big benefit to some people was better than giving a small benefit to everyone - and maybe it really was random.

In any case, I guess I just feel that in order to "earn" something, you generally have to be aware that you are earning it. Here, you had no expectation to receive these points. Since there is no published benefit that entitles anyone to these points, there is no reason to get upset for not receiving them. You want to take my colleagues out to a steak dinner? That's between you and them. I have no expectation of a steak dinner from you, so I'd be happy for them. And even if I was upset or felt left out, I certainly wouldn't call you up and demand a steak dinner that I had no reasonable expectation of in the first place.

I just find it interesting that a bunch of people got 100,000 "free" points today - and somehow that is being construed as a negative occurrence.
Old Feb 3, 2015, 6:34 pm
Original Member

Programs: AC SE 2MM, HH Dd, SPG; IC Pl/A; AA; DL
link worked for me and I got my email today (after I clicked on link). Stays were about same as last year and nights too. No reward stays, all paid. Diamond for 14+ years I think. Guess I am happy--would prefer they speed up the internet though!
Old Feb 3, 2015, 6:36 pm

Since there is no published benefit that entitles anyone to these points, there is no reason to get upset for not receiving them.
See this is where we are differing. What is a "reasonable expectation" of the level of treatment members should receive? Since the hhonors program is a tiered program with discrete levels of membership, implicit in that is a fairly uniform level of treatment within each tier. When it starts to deviate from that, people get upset - look at the threads where people see golds upgraded at a given hotel but they do not as diamonds, etc. etc. This lack of uniformity is a constant underlying issue in complaints about hhonors benefits.

In any case, I guess I just feel that in order to "earn" something, you generally have to be aware that you are earning it. Here, you had no expectation to receive these points.
What I though I earned was a level of recognition, and I thought that involved being treated like all other members on the same level of recognition. I had no expectation that Diamond members were to be segmented and given wildly varying levels of treatment based on unpublished criteria. Would you be OK with things working the other way - some members being discriminated against? The T&C are sufficiently flexible to allow it; what if they just decided that some Diamond members would not get most of the benefits that aren't guaranteed - so no suites, no late check-outs, etc. for certain "inferior" diamonds meeting unstated criteria? Or what if they changed the Diamond benefits - say, by starting to guarantee confirmed suite upgrades - but left you out because you didn't earn that at the moment you qualified for Diamond and thus had "no expectation" of it?

I just find it interesting that a bunch of people got 100,000 "free" points today - and somehow that is being construed as a negative occurrence.
It is not being construed as negativity towards the recipients. They of course did nothing wrong!

What is negative is that this event is playing to the weakness of the hhonors program' brand. It is already viewed as vague (T&Cs are full of weasel words and few guaranteed benefits), nonuniform in its application (benefits vary wildly between properties - see opt-out lists, lounge access, upgrades, etc.), and by some members, untrustworthy (major systemwide devaluations and frequent devaluations of handfuls of properties). It reconfirms the fact that not all diamonds, golds, etc. are treated equally, and thus what is the value of having status if you don't know how you will be treated? With this action, Hilton is going out and saying that despite them having the same classification (Diamond, Gold), some members are more important than others. So what's the point of having the classifications then?

Last edited by arlflyer; Feb 3, 2015 at 6:51 pm
Old Feb 3, 2015, 6:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
I wish Hilton would just quit devaluing points and start giving benefits like free HIGHEST speed wifi and a 4 pm checkout to diamonds instead of 100,000 points to random HH members
Old Feb 3, 2015, 7:00 pm

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 4.4.2; en-us; LGL31L/V100 Build/KOT49I.L31L10d) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Chrome/30.0.1599.103 Mobile Safari/537.36)

Originally Posted by jamesteroh
I wish Hilton would just quit devaluing points and start giving benefits like free HIGHEST speed wifi and a 4 pm checkout to diamonds instead of 100,000 points to random HH members
Good plan but all Diamonds should receive some kind of targeted promo this month.
Old Feb 3, 2015, 7:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by HHonors OUTSIDER
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 4.4.2; en-us; LGL31L/V100 Build/KOT49I.L31L10d) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Chrome/30.0.1599.103 Mobile Safari/537.36)

Good plan but all Diamonds should receive some kind of targeted promo this month.
Agree. A few years ago in Q4 Hilton sent out a targeted promo to diamonds giving a free night certificate for every four stays. When word got out it was targeted the diamonds that didn't receive the email complained and were given the offer as well. I did receive that email. I didn't receive the email for this generous offer and it would be nice if Hilton offered it to all diamonds, or a similar offer

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.