Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Upgrade to Surpass Honors AmEx: Earn 50,000+ bonus points

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrade to Surpass Honors AmEx: Earn 50,000+ bonus points

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2015, 8:28 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Platinum
How soon after you upgrade from the no annual fee card to the Surpass card does your account reflect the gold status? I had just dropped down from gold to silver at the end of March, so was looking to get the gold status again with upcoming stays.
Old May 5, 2015, 4:03 pm

currently own amex hilton non annual fee card can i apply for surpass?

hi all,

i applied for amex hilton non annual fee card 1 MONTH ago and already got all the bonus points.

there is 80,000 offer for surpass which ends today and i didn't want to miss since it seems like the best deals.

would it be possible for me to apply for amex surpass even though i already have regular card and not applying through upgrade(i don't see upgrade option in my account and upgrade will not give me 80,000 anyways).

thank you!
Old May 22, 2015, 8:05 pm

Originally Posted by ejh25
There's a link here that will let you know if you're eligible for the upgrade offer.

Unfortunately, I'm not yet I've only had my card for 4-5 months and it says no!
I just checked this link and I'm eligible. To my surprise, even "upgraded" cards can get 50K bonus HH points for $3K spend. I thought only new apps got bonus miles. And no HP? Any reason NOT to do this? I assume the AF posts right away..?
Old May 24, 2015, 4:57 am

For me it reads:

"We are unable to process your request for a product change at this time. Please call the number on the back of your card.
Thank you for your continued interest in American Express Card Membership."

I had the bonus once a few years back, when the card was first launched.
Old May 27, 2015, 10:17 am

I want to book a Hilton stay 4 weeks away. If I upgrade to Surpass now, will I be able to get the 50k on time? If I use the current no-fee card after upgrading but before the physical Surpass comes in the mail, will that count toward the $3k? Will the statement date change? My HH statement closed on 4/19.
Old May 27, 2015, 3:21 pm

Programs: HH LTD, AA LTG
Originally Posted by DaveInLA
I want to book a Hilton stay 4 weeks away. If I upgrade to Surpass now, will I be able to get the 50k on time?
On time for what?

If I use the current no-fee card after upgrading but before the physical Surpass comes in the mail, will that count toward the $3k? Will the statement date change? My HH statement closed on 4/19.
I have upgraded twice. In both cases online it has changed to a Surpass within 24 hours and on the subsequent statement shows as Surpass and given me the increased points per $ spent and counted towards meeting the 3K spend requirement. Your statement closing date and card number will not change as a function of upgrading the card.
Old May 28, 2015, 8:38 am

Programs: HH diamond
I want to book a Hilton stay 4 weeks away. If I upgrade to Surpass now, will I be able to get the 50k on time? If I use the current no-fee card after upgrading but before the physical Surpass comes in the mail, will that count toward the $3k? Will the statement date change? My HH statement closed on 4/19.
You can still use your regular card with the spend credit going to your surpass while you are waiting for your physical card.

Not sure what you mean by "will I be able to get the 50k on time". The bonus points are typically awarded after the statement when you meet the spending requirements closes. If your statement closes on the 19th and you are getting the card now, the soonest you can get your points is a little after June 19th. However, AMEX has 4-6 weeks to post the points and they do take longer to post sometimes.

If you are counting on using the points for an award booking, keep in mind award rooms must be available for your dates at the time of booking. If not, you CANNOT convert a $$ room to an award room. If no award room is available, you will not be able to use the points at that hotel.
Old Jul 10, 2015, 1:34 pm

How long does it take for 50k points to be posted to HHonor account after spending requirement is met?
Old Aug 22, 2015, 12:56 pm

Programs: hiltonGold, marriott Silver National ES,Rapid Rewards
My points posted within 3 days of hitting the spend threshold. Statement date was still 2 weeks away.
Old Sep 2, 2015, 9:15 pm

If I upgrade then downgrade, how long do I have to keep downgraded card before I upgrade again? I know for new cards it's 12 mo; how about a downgraded card?
Old Sep 4, 2015, 1:11 pm

Programs: HH-Diamond, IHG-Plat, DL-DM, PnF Plat, Kroger +
I'm about to make Gold this year for the first time. I don't have a HH credit card but I'm really thinking about getting one. It would be nice to get a big bonus points and be automatically Gold every year, and be able to make Diamond much easier since I start at a Gold level.
Should I?
Old Sep 4, 2015, 7:53 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Delta Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Eddie98
I'm about to make Gold this year for the first time. I don't have a HH credit card but I'm really thinking about getting one. It would be nice to get a big bonus points and be automatically Gold every year, and be able to make Diamond much easier since I start at a Gold level.
Should I?
Card cost $75 per year. Still worth it for Gold Status if you do between 10 and 19 stays just for the breakfast

You don't get to Diamond quicker you still need to qualify through the Diamond requirements. For Example you still need 30 stays....you don't start at a higher number because you have the card.
Old Sep 5, 2015, 8:34 am

Programs: HH-Diamond, IHG-Plat, DL-DM, PnF Plat, Kroger +
Originally Posted by san888
Card cost $75 per year. Still worth it for Gold Status if you do between 10 and 19 stays just for the breakfast

You don't get to Diamond quicker you still need to qualify through the Diamond requirements. For Example you still need 30 stays....you don't start at a higher number because you have the card.
I see. It may be worth it for the bonus points and the Gold status. I can probably make Gold every year but it would be nice to know I have for sure.

Now just need to figure out which HH cards works best for me.
Old Sep 5, 2015, 4:34 pm

Programs: TK *G, all statuses that come with Ritz, Amex Plat, Citi Prestige cards
I'm at the 16 month mark on my no-fee Amex Hilton card and still being told that I'm ineligible for an upgrade to the Surpass. Anyone know if this is normal? It seems like most of you are getting the offer at the 1-year mark. Could it possibly be an issue of my 2k credit limit on the no-fee card being too low for the Surpass, kind of like how Bank of America refuses to approve the Alaska Signature 25k bonuses for cl's under 5k?
Old Sep 6, 2015, 10:01 pm

Programs: DL GM,Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium, NEXUS
Originally Posted by lonelycrowd
I'm at the 16 month mark on my no-fee Amex Hilton card and still being told that I'm ineligible for an upgrade to the Surpass. Anyone know if this is normal? It seems like most of you are getting the offer at the 1-year mark. Could it possibly be an issue of my 2k credit limit on the no-fee card being too low for the Surpass, kind of like how Bank of America refuses to approve the Alaska Signature 25k bonuses for cl's under 5k?
Could try this link:

https://www.americanexpress.com/us/c...dit-card/36205

Worked fine for me to switch from Delta Platinum Amex to the Hilton Surpass card.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.