Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Upgrade to Surpass Honors AmEx: Earn 50,000+ bonus points

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrade to Surpass Honors AmEx: Earn 50,000+ bonus points

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2013, 6:42 am

Programs: UA Platinum (1MM Gold), HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
I think they will be...

Originally Posted by luvintravel
I am considering upgrading to Surpass but I notice that for new Surpass cardholders Restaurants are not a bonus category. If I upgrade will I lose restaurants as bonus category or will I be grandfathered in?
I'm looking at my just received Surpass statement and it says that effective 1 May, all restaurant purchases (located in the US) will go to 6 points/$ (along with gas and groceries as it is now). For those holding a Surpass card, there is a loss in that previous 6 pts/$ categories of drugstores, phone, TV and Internet services fall to 3 pts/$.

So, you should be getting the 6 pts/$ after 1 May.
Old Apr 4, 2013, 6:58 pm

how soon can i downgrade after after upgrade to avoid the annual fee (without raise flag)? has anyone tried?
Old Apr 8, 2013, 9:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Avis Chairman
Anyone know if this is still an option? I called to do this but they said I had to have my card for at least a year before I can do it. I've had it for about 4 months.
Old Apr 9, 2013, 7:02 am

Programs: AA Life Plat 4mm, Hilton Diamond
I guess I don't understand the logic of getting this card vs Citi Reserve. The Citi Reserve card gives you 2 free weekend nights at any level property plus I think Gold; this easily should be worth 120k points. Why would I spend $75 for 50k bonus miles? That being said I make Diamond every year with stays so the 40k spending thing for Diamond is not a factor. I just finished the spend with Citi AA cards to maximize bonus so I am looking for a card that will get me around $1000 in Hilton rooms. What am I missing, don't plan on this using it much just hit the spend? We use most of our spend on Starwood AX which gets us 1.25 AA miles.
Old Apr 9, 2013, 8:21 am
akp

Programs: Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by kmandrew
I guess I don't understand the logic of getting this card vs Citi Reserve. The Citi Reserve card gives you 2 free weekend nights at any level property plus I think Gold; this easily should be worth 120k points. Why would I spend $75 for 50k bonus miles? That being said I make Diamond every year with stays so the 40k spending thing for Diamond is not a factor. I just finished the spend with Citi AA cards to maximize bonus so I am looking for a card that will get me around $1000 in Hilton rooms. What am I missing, don't plan on this using it much just hit the spend? We use most of our spend on Starwood AX which gets us 1.25 AA miles.
I upgraded last week. I can't speak for anyone else, but here's my logic.

Prior to Hilton's devaluation and the announcement that pharmacy would no longer earn 6x, I'd spent a TON on the regular Hilton Amex this year. So the $75 upgrade fee gets me 50k miles plus Diamond status for the rest of 2013 and all of 2014.

I wouldn't do it again unless they pump the category bonus on pharmacy back up.

I plan to apply for the Reserve soon, too, as I may as well get my 3 stays (2 from bonus, one from $10k spend) during the years that I'm Diamond.

Anita
Old Apr 9, 2013, 8:24 am
akp

Programs: Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ramalama8
Anyone know if this is still an option? I called to do this but they said I had to have my card for at least a year before I can do it. I've had it for about 4 months.
I had a Hilton stay scheduled for mid-March, so I called in to ask for an upgrade early. (I got my no fee Hilton Amex in late April 2012.) The CSR said I could not do it until one year.

I tried many times online over the past few months and it always said I was ineligible.

I tried it early in April and was approved in seconds, so apparently the beginning of the month in which your anniversary falls works.

Anita
Old Apr 9, 2013, 8:26 am
Suspended

One may choose to upgrade as opposed to the Citi Reserve if they are not sure they can use the 2 upgrade certs within 1 year of their receipt and would prefer to use the option at a later date.
Old Apr 10, 2013, 4:34 am

Programs: AA, US, WN, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by kmandrew
1) The two are not mutually exclusive.

2) 50k points for $75 is a good deal.

3) Surpass earns more points on specific categories including Hilton spending than any card.

4) You can downgrade and get prorated refund of the annual fee.
Old Apr 10, 2013, 6:33 am

Programs: all
I just used the card to get the diamond status by putting 40K early on this year and that gives me diamond status though the end of 2014. so for me that is worth it.

Plus buying VR cards at CVS
Old Apr 10, 2013, 12:44 pm

Originally Posted by akp
The CSR said I could not do it until one year.

I tried many times online over the past few months and it always said I was ineligible.

I tried it early in April and was approved in seconds, so apparently the beginning of the month in which your anniversary falls works.

Anita
I tried to upgrade at 8 mos, 10 mos, then approved just past 12 months. Amex seems to interpret the CARD ACT as you cannot "degrade" (add an annual fee) in the first 12 months.

As for why upgrade vs get the Reserve - in my case we vacation once a year. I wasn't sure I'd use the certificates on random stuff and I wanted Gold for our upcoming award stay. The points more than offset the annual fee.
Old Apr 10, 2013, 2:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Avis Chairman
Originally Posted by akp
I had a Hilton stay scheduled for mid-March, so I called in to ask for an upgrade early. (I got my no fee Hilton Amex in late April 2012.) The CSR said I could not do it until one year.

Anita
Originally Posted by dcpilgrim
I tried to upgrade at 8 mos, 10 mos, then approved just past 12 months. Amex seems to interpret the CARD ACT as you cannot "degrade" (add an annual fee) in the first 12 months.
Thanks guys. That's a bummer -- for some reason I thought you could do it after only a few months...
Old Jul 12, 2013, 8:30 am

Did a search that came up with this thread and it seems like the most relevant thread to my question - when upgrading to the Surpass, is gold status for the rest of the calendar year or is it 365 days from date of approval? If it's calendar year, is there a cutoff date where you get the rest of the current year, plus the next calendar year as Gold?
Old Jul 12, 2013, 11:03 am

Programs: AA, US, WN, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by tys90
Did a search that came up with this thread and it seems like the most relevant thread to my question - when upgrading to the Surpass, is gold status for the rest of the calendar year or is it 365 days from date of approval? If it's calendar year, is there a cutoff date where you get the rest of the current year, plus the next calendar year as Gold?
Upgrading any time this year gets you gold until March 31, 2015.
Old Jul 12, 2013, 11:56 am

Originally Posted by BrlDsguise
Upgrading any time this year gets you gold until March 31, 2015.
Would it also be true, then, that if you upgrade on 01/01/14 you would be Gold until March 31, 2016?
Old Jul 16, 2013, 3:15 pm

Does Surpass card still offer Diamond status after $40K annual spending? On the card benefit page from American Express, I only see it mentions Gold after $20K annual spending.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.