Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Upgrade to Surpass Honors AmEx: Earn 50,000+ bonus points

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrade to Surpass Honors AmEx: Earn 50,000+ bonus points

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2016, 6:53 am

First upgrade maybe around 2-3 years ago, downgrade more than a year ago.
Old Mar 7, 2016, 7:25 am

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold
Originally Posted by travellingdoc1121
First upgrade maybe around 2-3 years ago, downgrade more than a year ago.
How long after having the basic AMEX open was the first upgrade done? I've had mine for about a year and can't get an upgrade offer to work.
Old Mar 8, 2016, 3:52 pm

Originally Posted by mpeterson78
How long after having the basic AMEX open was the first upgrade done? I've had mine for about a year and can't get an upgrade offer to work.
I'm having this same issue. No one mentions it anywhere online though....
Old Mar 13, 2016, 1:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
After opening a regular Hilton AmEx account in September 2004, I got the AmEx Surpass® Card in February 2012, received my 50K bonus in July 2012, and downgraded back to the free Hilton AmEx in July 2013.

With the AmEx once per lifetime bonus policy, it would seem safer for me to get the free Citi® Hilton HHonors™ Visa Signature® Card if I want another bonus.

But if there are more reports of exceptions, maybe a gamble might pay off!
Old Mar 13, 2016, 11:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SPN Lifer
After opening a regular Hilton AmEx account in September 2004, I got the AmEx Surpass® Card in February 2012, received my 50K bonus in July 2012, and downgraded back to the free Hilton AmEx in July 2013.

With the AmEx once per lifetime bonus policy, it would seem safer for me to get the free Citi® Hilton HHonors™ Visa Signature® Card if I want another bonus.

But if there are more reports of exceptions, maybe a gamble might pay off!
The once per lifetime bonus policy applies to bonuses on new card accounts. When you upgrade to Surpass, you're not getting a new card account, you're just upgrading your current card account.

In any case, what matters is not the overall policy, what matters is the T&Cs of the specific offer you're considering.

Look at the wording of the Surpass upgrade offer you see in your account. Does it say anything about "this offer is also not available to applicants who have or have had this product"? All offers which are affected by the lifetime policy say something like that in the offer T&Cs.

See the Wikipost at the top of this thread for more information about when the lifetime policy does and doesn't apply:
Old Apr 9, 2016, 10:05 am

I read in the "HH card offers" thread that some people are getting an upgrade offer for 100K HH. They said they see it on the main AMEX login page. I see no offer on my AMEX main page and just get the 50K upgrade offer when I click on this link--
https://www304.americanexpress.com/p...dit-card/36205

Those of you who are getting 100K upgrade offer, how long have you had the free HH, and how much are you spending on it?
Old Apr 9, 2016, 11:23 am

Originally Posted by DaveInLA
I read in the "HH card offers" thread that some people are getting an upgrade offer for 100K HH. They said they see it on the main AMEX login page. I see no offer on my AMEX main page and just get the 50K upgrade offer when I click on this link--

Those of you who are getting 100K upgrade offer, how long have you had the free HH, and how much are you spending on it?
SAW POST 932 SAY 100K UPGRADE OFFER--anyone else post they got 100k upgrade --went back few pages - only saw one say 100k
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi-...x-citi-63.html
Old Apr 9, 2016, 11:35 am

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)

Originally Posted by SPLP007
SAW POST 932 SAY 100K UPGRADE OFFER--anyone else post they got 100k upgrade --went back few pages - only saw one say 100k
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi-...x-citi-63.html
Mr. Fink got the 100K offer yesterday. He has had the free version for just over a year, pretty much zero spend since meeting the original spend after sign-up. Card should arrive within 7 days they say, and we already got the email from Hilton informing him of his new Gold status via the Surpass.
Attached Images  

Last edited by Finkface; Apr 9, 2016 at 11:48 am Reason: Added screenshot
Old Apr 9, 2016, 11:57 am

Originally Posted by Finkface
Mr. Fink got the 100K offer yesterday. He has had the free version for just over a year, pretty much zero spend since meeting the original spend after sign-up. Card should arrive within 7 days they say, and we already got the email from Hilton informing him of his new Gold status via the Surpass.
thank u for sending the offer -
Old Apr 10, 2016, 8:31 pm

Did he get an email notifying him of the 100K upgrade offer? Or was it obvious when he logged in to his AMEX account? I see the expiration for his offer 5/4/16; I'm wondering if I had this offer in the past and unknowingly let it expire.
Old Apr 10, 2016, 9:11 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Did he get an email notifying him of the 100K upgrade offer? Or was it obvious when he logged in to his AMEX account? I see the expiration for his offer 5/4/16; I'm wondering if I had this offer in the past and unknowingly let it expire.
No notification at all. I saw the banner when I logged in to his account. Not really obvious - just a small banner at the top of the page. Very easy to miss and it only caught my eye when I was about to log out. He loves the results of this 'game' but honestly has no clue what cards he has and when and leaves it all to me. Only when he needs to make a phone call to close an account, lol.

So no notification at all and we would never have known about it if I didn't check the accounts from time to time.
Old Apr 10, 2016, 10:10 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold, IHG Platinum
When logging into my online account I am noticing that I am receiving the 100K point Surpass upgrade offer after $3K spend. I have had the free Amex card since late 2012. I put about $3K spend per year on the card. The offer shows up in two places. A green banner upon initial login and the first item in the Amex Offers and Benefits section.

However I am thinking about applying for a new Surpass Amex account instead of doing the upgrade. Hoping for do the free to Surpass upgrade maybe next year or later.
Old Apr 11, 2016, 8:28 pm

Programs: AA MM PP, MR LT Plat, Globalist

I've spent $30k easily on it in the ~8 years I've had the card, although in the last two years, I've kept it in the drawer.

If I recall, my upgrade T&C doesn't state that I can get the bonus just once. So if I read sdsearch's post above correctly, you can get the upgrade bonus twice (provided your T&C is same as mine.)
Old Apr 13, 2016, 11:48 pm

Programs: Anything CC gives me

for those who see the 100k upgrade offer, can you please post the link after you click "apply now", where the offer shows on left banner and the page asks for confirmation? thanks!
Old Apr 14, 2016, 4:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by alben
When logging into my online account I am noticing that I am receiving the 100K point Surpass upgrade offer after $3K spend. I have had the free Amex card since late 2012. I put about $3K spend per year on the card. The offer shows up in two places. A green banner upon initial login and the first item in the Amex Offers and Benefits section.

However I am thinking about applying for a new Surpass Amex account instead of doing the upgrade. Hoping for do the free to Surpass upgrade maybe next year or later.
Why? The upgrade doesn't involve a hard pull and with the clamp downs by all players why waste a hard pull when you can upgrade and receive the same bonus.

Plus the credit history and credit line transfer so you don't damage anything.

Seems like an absolute no brainier to upgrade instead of applying for a new card.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.