Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Upgrade to Surpass Honors AmEx: Earn 50,000+ bonus points

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrade to Surpass Honors AmEx: Earn 50,000+ bonus points

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2013, 8:10 pm

Programs: HHonnors Diamond, AA Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by nlkm9
Okay just want to be clear 12 times what ever I spend at a hilton-so if I spend $100 for a room I get 1200 points? just want to make sure Im reading this right--seems to good to be true...
Yep and it's on everything (taxes, food charges, etc.)... Also, you pick up the extra 500 points per stay (although I think that is also the case on the base card as well).

As stated before the card has value if used at Hilton family properties, gas stations, restaurants, and supermarkets... everything else really isn't worth it (ie there are other cards that are better for the other categories)...
Old Aug 22, 2013, 2:29 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond
Good card to use.... Excellent value
Old Aug 22, 2013, 6:55 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond
wow, I didnt know about the extra 500 points per stay--with anywhere from 1-4 nites a week that does add up, even with points devaluation I do love my hilton.
Im actually regretting my recent spate of holiday inn stays, although I racked up a lot of points in 2 months time...
Old Aug 24, 2013, 11:29 am

Programs: Hilton Honors, Mileage Plus
Make sure that while staying at a Hilton property that you charge all incidentals to your hotel room in order to take full advantage of the points. Then pay the hotel bill with a Hilton Honors branded credit card and you have the best of both worlds.
Old Aug 25, 2013, 5:27 am

Programs: DL DM 3 MM AA PLAT HH Lifetime Diamond Marriott Plat AMB lifetime titanium Hertz PC
Originally Posted by nlkm9
wow, I didnt know about the extra 500 points per stay--with anywhere from 1-4 nites a week that does add up, even with points devaluation I do love my hilton.
Im actually regretting my recent spate of holiday inn stays, although I racked up a lot of points in 2 months time...
It has to be booked via the Hilton website though. I never received them when I use our corporate website.
Old Aug 26, 2013, 6:44 am

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by troyintn
It has to be booked via the Hilton website though. I never received them when I use our corporate website.
Thanks. I had forgotten that was the case and just re-booked a few stays.
Old Dec 27, 2013, 6:26 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Club Carlson Gold, Choice Elite Platinum
Originally Posted by sbbi
how soon can i downgrade after after upgrade to avoid the annual fee (without raise flag)? has anyone tried?
If anyone has experience with this...I'd like to know also.
Old Feb 11, 2014, 12:32 pm

Programs: AA, TY, UR, UA, US, WN, MR, SPG
I was playing around on the Amex site today, and it appears I've hit the time required for my fee-free Amex Hilton to be eligible for the upgrade to the Surpass. 50K Hilton points for 3K spend (super easy with a wedding coming up) in 3 months. This will NOT be a hard pull, if I do this, right? Everything I see seems like that's the case, but it does say "If approved, you will receive your new Card(s) within 7 days."

I'm assuming that this hasn't changed, but the wording scares me a bit. Then, before my next AF, I can downgrade back to the fee-free?
Old Feb 12, 2014, 5:07 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Hyatt Platinum,Marriott Silver,Hilton Honors Gold
Originally Posted by roki
I was playing around on the Amex site today, and it appears I've hit the time required for my fee-free Amex Hilton to be eligible for the upgrade to the Surpass. 50K Hilton points for 3K spend (super easy with a wedding coming up) in 3 months. This will NOT be a hard pull, if I do this, right? Everything I see seems like that's the case, but it does say "If approved, you will receive your new Card(s) within 7 days."

I'm assuming that this hasn't changed, but the wording scares me a bit. Then, before my next AF, I can downgrade back to the fee-free?
I did exactly what you are looking to do here, downgraded back down to a fee free card when renewal was up. And yes, no hard pull when you take the offer.

That said, 50,000 points isnt worth much in the Hilton program, barely can buy you a stay at a Hampton Inn unless a property in the middle of nowhere.

Worldspan
Naples, Florida
Old Feb 12, 2014, 9:42 am

Originally Posted by worldspan
I did exactly what you are looking to do here, downgraded back down to a fee free card when renewal was up. And yes, no hard pull when you take the offer.

That said, 50,000 points isnt worth much in the Hilton program, barely can buy you a stay at a Hampton Inn unless a property in the middle of nowhere.

Worldspan
Naples, Florida
I also recently did this as well. Upgraded, met the spend then downgraded when AF hit. No issues.
Old Feb 12, 2014, 9:55 am

Originally Posted by worldspan

Worldspan
Naples, Florida
Thanks,

I've got ~70K in my account, and I figure for no hard inquiry, and 3 quick and easy APs, I can get up to 120K is probably worth while. I know the valuation is garbage, but I think everyone would agree that 50K > $75 annual fee.
Old Feb 12, 2014, 10:45 am

Programs: AA, US, WN, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by roki

Downgrade whenever you want they will prorate the fee refund.
Old Feb 12, 2014, 11:28 am

Programs: AA-Gold, HH - Gold, SPG - Gold
Originally Posted by moondog417
Has anyone else had spend on the no-fee card count towards Diamond after upgrading to Surpass? I see only this one data point.

I'm trying to plan my spend for the year. I won't be able to upgrade to Surpass until June, but will put much spend on the no-fee card before then. I want to get as much of my $40k in before the drug-store bonus goes away. If no Diamond, I'll probably use the spend on a different card.
I upgraded in the middle of the year and all of my spend to date counted towards the $40k.
Old Feb 12, 2014, 11:28 am

Originally Posted by BrlDsguise
Downgrade whenever you want they will prorate the fee refund.
Oh, that's even more slick.

I could just say I got it for Hilton Gold, but didn't realize my Prestige gave me gold, and downgrade in a couple months.

^ Thanks!
Old Mar 3, 2014, 1:44 pm

Hilton Surpass Sign Up Bonus Offer Deadline (Applied vs. Approved)

I applied for the above card on an offer for 75K points for 3K spend that expired 2/28/14, but did not get an automatic approval and got a call 3/3/14 that I needed to close one card account to be approved as there is a maximum number of open cards that are permitted. I closed an account and got approved, but after 2/28/14 and the offer stated that I may not receive the bonus points if the approval is after 2/28/14. Does anyone know how likely it is that I will receive the bonus points given the offer statement? I asked the representative that called me and was told that I would receive the bonus offer.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.