Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Upgrade to Surpass Honors AmEx: Earn 50,000+ bonus points

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrade to Surpass Honors AmEx: Earn 50,000+ bonus points

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2013, 10:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I saw the upgrade offer online. Didn't work when I clicked it. They said I wasn't eligible. So I called. The rep said I need to have had my current card for a year, and that's up in April. So I'll try again then.

He also said that spending for the calendar year before the upgrade would NOT count towards the Diamond $40K spend, but I gather from this thread that he's just mistaken. I'll be trying that when the time comes - I already have Gold based on my spend this year (or I should when my statement closes).
Old Jan 31, 2013, 10:47 am

Programs: HH diamond
Originally Posted by tsmith12
I just recently got the Amex HHonors card but really wanted the Surpass card to get Gold status this year. Is it too soon to ask them to upgrade or do I have to wait until they send me an offer/apply for a new card again? I'm guessing I won't get the bonus points (even though they were more than what I got with the regular HHonors card) when I upgrade to Surpass?
Yes, it is too soon to upgrade. You won't be eligible for the upgrade offer until you've had the regular card for at least a year.

The upgrade bonus points are separate from the initial sign-on bonus. You still have to meet the spend criteria AFTER you upgrade.

These offers come and go. What is offered today may not be offered 6 months from now. Best not count on this offer but keep your eyes open for offers after your 1 yr anniversary.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 11:18 am

Originally Posted by travelinfoo
Yes, it is too soon to upgrade. You won't be eligible for the upgrade offer until you've had the regular card for at least a year.

The upgrade bonus points are separate from the initial sign-on bonus. You still have to meet the spend criteria AFTER you upgrade.

These offers come and go. What is offered today may not be offered 6 months from now. Best not count on this offer but keep your eyes open for offers after your 1 yr anniversary.

Thanks! ^ I might apply for the Citi Reserve this year then.

ETA: If I apply for Citi Reserve (which gets me Gold) this week and cancel it later this year, do I lose the Gold status immediately or will the status run thru 03/14? or 03/15? TIA

Last edited by tsmith12; Jan 31, 2013 at 11:25 am
Old Jan 31, 2013, 3:23 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Silver, UA Silver, US DMS, AA, HA, WN
Originally Posted by yoyo
I saw an upgrade to surpass card prompt from my regular AMEX Hilton card when I logged in to AMEX website. I have the Hilton card for over a year now. Questions:

a. If I upgrade, does the regular card automatically become Surpass immediately? There seemed to be different interpretation on what the upgrade is in this thread. I understand a Surpass card will be sent to me separately (and probably requires activation?).
b. what will happen to AU cards, do they automatically get Surpass cards as well? Do the AU cards need to pay the fees (my guess is not)?
c. Will a 3K spending on the regular card immediately after the upgrade count towards the 3K requirement or only charges after activation of the new card count?
d. Do the statement cycle change?

Thanks.
Some of these have been answered multiple times, but to provide another data point, I upgraded late December 2012:

a. All spend credits to the Surpass as soon as you upgrade, even while using the old card before the Surpass arrives in the mail. This includes spending towards the 3k in 90 days.

b. My wife automatically got upgraded as well, her card arrived right around the same time mine did.

c. 3K starts as soon as you upgrade, nothing prior counts.

d. Nope, mine stayed the same.

Hope that helps. I have a ton of stays and went from 5-10k pts/month to 20k pts on my first statement after upgrading. Totally worth it so far and the 50k bonus will be sweet when I hit it this week! ^
Old Jan 31, 2013, 5:39 pm

Programs: AA, US, WN, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by Glacier
Thank you for clarifying that - so even if I don't reach it through spend or stays I will have gold through 2014 if I upgrade to surpass?
Yes, they always give you an entire calendar year to maintain the status you earned the year before.
Old Feb 2, 2013, 5:29 am
Original Member

Programs: AAMM & PLT; UA Gold, DL Silver, Marriott LT Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz #1 Gold Club
When will AF be charged for the upgrade. I upgraded in early December and have now had my second statement, however, no pro rated AF charged. I assume they would have charged me by now.
Old Feb 2, 2013, 6:46 am

Programs: HH diamond
Originally Posted by jamflyer
When will AF be charged for the upgrade. I upgraded in early December and have now had my second statement, however, no pro rated AF charged. I assume they would have charged me by now.
It took 2 cycles for my AF to appear. I had upgraded toward the end of the statement period. It appeared 2 statements after that period closed (I guess that would be 3 statements overall). I was actually surprised how long it took to hit.
Old Feb 3, 2013, 6:57 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Hyatt Platinum,Marriott Silver,Hilton Honors Gold
My AF just appeared in Jan statement, made the upgrade in October. Was pro-rated
Old Feb 5, 2013, 5:40 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, Hyatt Platinum, HHonors Gold
Spend before upgrade counting for diamond?

Originally Posted by BrlDsguise
My November statement (first since I upgraded) closed and shows I have $39k in qualified Surpass spending and need $1k to make diamond. So in addition to the 50k bonus looks like I will be diamond in 2014.
Has anyone else had spend on the no-fee card count towards Diamond after upgrading to Surpass? I see only this one data point.

I'm trying to plan my spend for the year. I won't be able to upgrade to Surpass until June, but will put much spend on the no-fee card before then. I want to get as much of my $40k in before the drug-store bonus goes away. If no Diamond, I'll probably use the spend on a different card.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 1:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by travelinfoo

I opened my AMEX Hh card in May of 2012 and my u/g offer appeared last month. I'm already Gold so now have to decide if it's worth the $75 fee to u/g & receive 50K devalued points.

Oh, and my DW opened her AMEX Hh in July and her u/g offer to Surpass appeared last month too.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 1:56 pm

Has anyone ever actually been denied for the upgrade? My upgrade offer has been available for a while now, and I'm finally ready to pull the trigger to lock in Gold status for some upcoming stays now that I've finished all my other outstanding spending reqs. I just noticed the upgrade page says things like "if approved" and "decision in 60 seconds," which seems antithetical to the reports of there not being a credit pull or anything. Very odd.
Old Feb 23, 2013, 9:22 am

Programs: AA EP; WN CP;UA SILVER; MARRIOTT TITANIUM; HH DIAMOND; IHG PLAT; RADISSON PLAT; HYATT GLOBAL
Originally Posted by kdoughboy
Has anyone ever actually been denied for the upgrade? My upgrade offer has been available for a while now, and I'm finally ready to pull the trigger to lock in Gold status for some upcoming stays now that I've finished all my other outstanding spending reqs. I just noticed the upgrade page says things like "if approved" and "decision in 60 seconds," which seems antithetical to the reports of there not being a credit pull or anything. Very odd.
They put this language to make sure that people who are not in good standing dont get approved, but if you are paid in full and up to date, you are good, and there is no credit pull, you keep same account, same open date, etc.
Old Feb 23, 2013, 12:16 pm

Originally Posted by ORD-TGU
They put this language to make sure that people who are not in good standing dont get approved, but if you are paid in full and up to date, you are good, and there is no credit pull, you keep same account, same open date, etc.
Thanks for the info. I figured it was ok, and my account is in good standing, but I just wanted to see what was up with that language.

Another question: I have a $2200 purchase coming up tomorrow, and would love to put it on the Surpass card to wipe out most of the $3k spending req for the 50,000 points. If I process the upgrade today, and then use my current non-Surpass card to make the purchase tomorrow, will that apply? Or do I need to wait until I've received and activated the new Surpass cards?
Old Feb 27, 2013, 6:05 am

I upgraded to the Surpass card a few days before I was aware of the devaluation or I'm not sure I would have.

I received the terms today and they state that I will be charged a prorated fee, and then another full $75.00 fee in April It also states if applicable there will be a charge for any additional card holder.

Will I be charged for the additional card holder? Do I cancel the card right after receiving the points and get a prorated amount back or just wait until the next renewal date? I'm assuming that I will remain gold until March 2015.

Thanks for your help!
Old Mar 1, 2013, 6:25 pm

Amex Surpass Upgrade Question

Currently have the no fee HH Amex. I am auto approved for the HH Amex Surpass. As of 5/1, my reward points will be 7/Hilton, 5X each for supermarkets, gas and restaurants.

I am considering upgrading to Surpass but I notice that for new Surpass cardholders Restaurants are not a bonus category. If I upgrade will I lose restaurants as bonus category or will I be grandfathered in?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.