Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Upgrade to Surpass Honors AmEx: Earn 50,000+ bonus points

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrade to Surpass Honors AmEx: Earn 50,000+ bonus points

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2013, 9:39 am

Originally Posted by crimsonAA
Now that the double points on drug store purchases are gone
When did that happen?
Old Jan 16, 2013, 10:04 am

Yeah this change in the bonus categories has made me rethink my strategy to upgrade to Surpass for a year. Looks like I will forego the 50k one-time point bonus in order to keep my 6x categories. I just pray Amex doesn't alter the terms for existing holders!
Old Jan 16, 2013, 11:46 am

------

Last edited by crimsonAA; Nov 14, 2017 at 5:53 am
Old Jan 17, 2013, 10:51 pm

Originally Posted by rajuabju
Lol, I read the > as < ... oops.

I've had the fee-free Hilton Amex for over a year. This 50k upgrade just popped up about 3 days ago. Not sure if I could have done it sooner via phone or email inquiry though, someone else can perhaps opine on that.
Same for me, I've had the card a little over the year, and just saw the upgrade offer in my account a few days ago.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 7:30 am

I saw an upgrade to surpass card prompt from my regular AMEX Hilton card when I logged in to AMEX website. I have the Hilton card for over a year now. Questions:

a. If I upgrade, does the regular card automatically become Surpass immediately? There seemed to be different interpretation on what the upgrade is in this thread. I understand a Surpass card will be sent to me separately (and probably requires activation?).
b. what will happen to AU cards, do they automatically get Surpass cards as well? Do the AU cards need to pay the fees (my guess is not)?
c. Will a 3K spending on the regular card immediately after the upgrade count towards the 3K requirement or only charges after activation of the new card count?
d. Do the statement cycle change?

Thanks.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 8:17 am

Programs: HH diamond
Originally Posted by yoyo
I saw an upgrade to surpass card prompt from my regular AMEX Hilton card when I logged in to AMEX website. I have the Hilton card for over a year now. Questions:

a. If I upgrade, does the regular card automatically become Surpass immediately? There seemed to be different interpretation on what the upgrade is in this thread. I understand a Surpass card will be sent to me separately (and probably requires activation?).
b. what will happen to AU cards, do they automatically get Surpass cards as well? Do the AU cards need to pay the fees (my guess is not)?
c. Will a 3K spending on the regular card immediately after the upgrade count towards the 3K requirement or only charges after activation of the new card count?
d. Do the statement cycle change?

Thanks.
a. the card becomes a Surpass as soon as you are approved for the upgrade. You will be sent a new card but the old card is still active and any purchases after upgrade will be credited to the Surpass.

b. Can't answer about the AU. But I would assume if you approved them as AU for the Surpass, they should get the new cards.

c. Charges AFTER UPGRADE of the Surpass will count towards the spend requirement.

d. No change in statement cycle. Also you get charged a prorated annual fee depending on when your regular AMEX anniversary is. I upgraded 1/2 way thru my year and was charged 1/2 annual fee.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 8:20 am

Originally Posted by travelinfoo
a. the card becomes a Surpass as soon as you are approved for the upgrade. You will be sent a new card but the old card is still active and any purchases after upgrade will be credited to the Surpass.

b. Can't answer about the AU. But I would assume if you approved them as AU for the Surpass, they should get the new cards.

c. Charges AFTER UPGRADE of the Surpass will count towards the spend requirement.

d. No change in statement cycle. Also you get charged a prorated annual fee depending on when your regular AMEX anniversary is. I upgraded 1/2 way thru my year and was charged 1/2 annual fee.
Thanks for the detailed reply.

Will upgrading in March make the gold status last to March, 2015?
Old Jan 30, 2013, 11:38 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by yoyo
Thanks for the detailed reply.

Will upgrading in March make the gold status last to March, 2015?
upgrading today will make gold valid unitl March 2015, no need to wait unitl march
Old Jan 30, 2013, 12:00 pm

Originally Posted by travelinfoo
We upgraded mid-January. When our first statement of the year arrived a week later, it stated at the bottom that all of our spending since January 1 will count towards gold/diamond requirements (which included two weeks of spending pre-Surpass).
Old Jan 30, 2013, 12:30 pm

So if upgrading makes you gold until March 2015 what happens when you downgrade next year in January to avoid the fee..... are you downgraded to silver and lose the gold status in January 2014?
Old Jan 30, 2013, 8:25 pm

Programs: AA, US, WN, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by ZontarTheThingFromVenus
We upgraded mid-January. When our first statement of the year arrived a week later, it stated at the bottom that all of our spending since January 1 will count towards gold/diamond requirements (which included two weeks of spending pre-Surpass).
I upgraded in October 2012 and made diamond in December.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 8:29 pm

Programs: AA, US, WN, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by Glacier
So if upgrading makes you gold until March 2015 what happens when you downgrade next year in January to avoid the fee..... are you downgraded to silver and lose the gold status in January 2014?
Hilton never downgrades you, they don't care how you made gold you have all of 2014 to keep it with stays or $20K of credit card spending.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 7:37 am

Programs: HH diamond
Originally Posted by ZontarTheThingFromVenus
This is a different issue than meeting the spend requirement for the Surpass BONUS. You are talking about criteria for getting Diamond/Gold upgrade, NOT for the new spending offer for extra BONUS POINTS.

Everyone's Surpass will give you Diamond based on an ANNUAL spend of $40K and Gold based on ANNUAL spend of $20K. Anything you spend during that calendar year prior to upgrading also counts toward that total.

However, when you UPGRADE with a BONUS spend offer, you have to meet the spend AFTER upgrading to Surpass. The bonus is for spending on the SURPASS, not on the REGULAR card. Yoyo is talking about a BONUS POINTS offer, not just the standard Diamond/Gold upgrade benefit.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 9:28 am

I just recently got the Amex HHonors card but really wanted the Surpass card to get Gold status this year. Is it too soon to ask them to upgrade or do I have to wait until they send me an offer/apply for a new card again? I'm guessing I won't get the bonus points (even though they were more than what I got with the regular HHonors card) when I upgrade to Surpass?
Old Jan 31, 2013, 10:24 am

Originally Posted by BrlDsguise
Hilton never downgrades you, they don't care how you made gold you have all of 2014 to keep it with stays or $20K of credit card spending.
Thank you for clarifying that - so even if I don't reach it through spend or stays I will have gold through 2014 if I upgrade to surpass?

If that's the case I may upgrade... seems worth in for the 50,000 to have gold through 2014. I usually get it through spending $20,000 but may move that to another card. Then I can downgrade when the fee comes through in 2014 and move my spending back to the card to reach $20,000 and retain gold in 2015.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.