Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Upgrade to Surpass Honors AmEx: Earn 50,000+ bonus points

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrade to Surpass Honors AmEx: Earn 50,000+ bonus points

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2017, 3:50 am

I have done the up and down many times and always received the bonus BUT the last time I did IT ---AMX invoked "the once in lifetime" and no matter what I tried I COULD NOT GET THE POINTS--

if want Hilton pts --better off getting Hawaiian air 50k that converts to 75k Hilton - they also have a Hwn biz card --
Old Mar 17, 2017, 5:40 am

Originally Posted by SPLP007
I have done the up and down many times and always received the bonus BUT the last time I did IT ---AMX invoked "the once in lifetime" and no matter what I tried I COULD NOT GET THE POINTS--
How recent was this?
Old Mar 17, 2017, 7:53 am

did up grade on Sept 28 2016 ( i do not remember if it had once in lifetime, I watch for that so I think it did not have )

finished spend end of DEC points never showed on Jan statement or my online profile

I down graded in Feb

anyone get the points after my dates?
Old Mar 17, 2017, 7:59 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hilton - Diamond, IHG - Spire Amb
Originally Posted by Dr Jabadski
Thank you Moorea and Carl Christensen. Please, if you wouldn’t mind, when upgrading and downgrading, do you contact AmEx and ask them for such action? Do you have to wait for AmEx to offer?

I believe the entire reason for this discussion and the answer to your question is: in order to get repeat sign-up bonuses. Reports here indicate that with each upgrade TO Surpass, the account holder gets (another) 50,000 point sign-up bonus. Some people consider the repeat sign-up bonus to be worth the $95 annual fee. With each downgrade to the no annual fee card, one sets oneself up to upgrade (and get another sign-up bonus) in the future. It’s essentially churning (which AmEx has effectively ended) without repeat applications. Apparently AmEx has no limits on the number of times or frequency with which one can upgrade and downgrade these cards.
+1

Of course, I have been a bit lax and am late on this cycle. Last 50k bonus posted 7/2016 so I'm at 9 months this time. Partly because there was the churnable citi 75k link that I was burning through.
Old Mar 17, 2017, 9:20 am

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Not sure this is the correct thread for this, but my husband referred me for my own Surpass and I'm supposed to get 100,000 pts after meeting the spend and he's supposed to get 20,000 for the referral. With the ability to combine points starting in April (unless that has changed) that works out great for us.
Old Mar 17, 2017, 10:30 am

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold
Originally Posted by Eujeanie
Not sure this is the correct thread for this, but my husband referred me for my own Surpass and I'm supposed to get 100,000 pts after meeting the spend and he's supposed to get 20,000 for the referral. With the ability to combine points starting in April (unless that has changed) that works out great for us.
Not the right thread. There is a thread for general AMEX Surpass questions/comments. This thread is specifically for the AMEX No Fee/Surpass upgrade & downgrade cycle.
Old Mar 17, 2017, 1:08 pm

Some knowledgeable person (i.e., not I) should write a FAQ/wiki about up/downgrade frequency, AF billing and/or avoidance, and the like.
Old Mar 17, 2017, 7:16 pm

if want Hilton pts --better off getting Hawaiian air 50k that converts to 75k Hilton - they also have a Hwn biz card --
Yes, I was under the impression that upgrade/downgrade made no difference.
The language on the offers clearly states *if you have ever had this card* you are not eligible for the bonus points.
Old Mar 18, 2017, 6:18 am

How exactly did you do “it” the last time? Was there an upgrade offer on your no annual fee card, or did you use this link --
https://www304.americanexpress.com/p...dit-card/36205?

Originally Posted by hurnik
Yes, I was under the impression that upgrade/downgrade made no difference.
The language on the offers clearly states *if you have ever had this card* you are not eligible for the bonus points.
The upgrade being discussed in this thread (using the link above or an offer on your existing no annual fee card) does not have the *if you ever had this card language*.

As a data point, I just recently had an upgrade offer on my no annual fee card for 75,000 bonus points. Completed the spend three days ago, points posted to my Honors account yesterday. I have previously applied* for the Surpass card, received the sign up bonus, and canceled. I have also previously gone through the upgrade/downgrade cycle with the same card I just upgraded (I don't have exact timeline info).

*To be distinguished from "upgraded to"

Last edited by MarkMColo; Mar 18, 2017 at 11:56 am
Old Mar 18, 2017, 9:50 am

Originally Posted by MarkMColo
How exactly did do “it” the last time? Was there an upgrade offer on your no annual fee card, or did you use this link --

The upgrade being discussed in this thread (using the link above or an offer on your existing no annual fee card) does not have the *if you ever had this card language*.

As a data point, I just recently had an upgrade offer on my no annual fee card for 75,000 bonus points. Completed the spend three days ago, points posted to my Honors account yesterday. I have previously applied* for the Surpass card, received the sign up bonus, and canceled. I have also previously gone through the upgrade/downgrade cycle with the same card I just upgraded (I don't have exact timeline info).

Thank you for the info. So I believe, in my case I had applied (long time ago) for the no AF card. I then upgraded (like 7+ years ago) to the Surpass card. So if I gather correctly, I can *downgrade* to the no AF card, wait for an offer to upgrade to Surpass and still get the bonus points?

I never actually applied outright for the Surpass card.
Old Mar 18, 2017, 10:51 am

How exactly did do “it” the last time? Was there an upgrade offer on your no annual fee card, or did you use this link --

take another look at the link"it does have --if ever had...."

yes i used the link last time and one other time also in past had upgrade offer on my acct ---- but -I BELIEVE when i applied last time "if ever had ...." was not in t/c
Old Mar 18, 2017, 12:34 pm

take another look at the link"it does have --if ever had...."

yes i used the link last time and one other time also in past had upgrade offer on my acct ---- but -I BELIEVE when i applied last time "if ever had ...." was not in t/c
I can't look at the application from the link because I already have the Surpass card. I hadn't heard of the language being there before, that's why I was wondering if the link might be different from having an offer on your account.
Old Mar 18, 2017, 12:37 pm

Originally Posted by hurnik
Thank you for the info. So I believe, in my case I had applied (long time ago) for the no AF card. I then upgraded (like 7+ years ago) to the Surpass card. So if I gather correctly, I can *downgrade* to the no AF card, wait for an offer to upgrade to Surpass and still get the bonus points?

I never actually applied outright for the Surpass card.
AFAIK, this still works, but it can change at any time. Just to be clear, you've had the Surpass card for 7+ years?
Old Mar 18, 2017, 3:18 pm

AFAIK, this still works, but it can change at any time. Just to be clear, you've had the Surpass card for 7+ years?
Yes, since at least April of 2010. In 2009 I had the "regular" hilton card from Amex.

Not sure when I upgraded.
Old Mar 19, 2017, 7:36 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, SPG, IHG, AA, SWA
I currently have a Surpass, which I've met the spend on and received the bonus points, but it's only been open for about a month.

I will finish the spend on my NF Amex, which I just received last week, in the next few weeks.

When should I cancel my Surpass to start the clock on my upgrade window for my NF Amex? Is there a minimum time I should keep it open to stay off of their radar?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.