Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Q4 Promo: Fast Ways to Free Stays

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Q4 Promo: Fast Ways to Free Stays

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2011, 5:50 am

Programs: DL - KM DM, DL 1.57 MM, UA - 1P, AA - EXP HH - Diamond, PC - Platinum, SPG - Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by SPBanker
Hmm, I have four stays (eight nights) booked in Octobe-November. I don't think there will be four more for Q4/11, and since I am partly staying at more expensive properties, I think I will choose double points (and try to use them in 2012 for AXON stay at a more expensive property).
8 nights and hotel hopping = 2 free nights
Old Sep 26, 2011, 6:08 am

Thanks for the info!
Old Sep 26, 2011, 6:29 am

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
Good promo, but the exclusion list is way out of control.....

I will make a point of avoiding those hotels...
Old Sep 26, 2011, 6:29 am

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Good promo, although probably will not get more than one cert out of it. I think the 6 month redemption rule reduces flexibility a bit, but if that's all I can complain about...
Old Sep 26, 2011, 6:40 am

This looks like a good promo for me, but I am not really sure how to understand it best. I will certainly have at least 4 stays and 10 nights over the course of the quarter. However many of my stays are 1 night or 2 at most. What would happen if I had the following stay pattern?

1 stay - 2 nights
1 stay - 1 night
1 stay - 3 nights
1 stay - 2 nights
1 stay - 2 nights

That is a total of 5 stays and 10 nights, so I would assume that would be 2 free night certs. However my 4th stay only gets me to 8 nights. It is on my 5th stay that I hit the 10 nights. After your 4th stay, does the counter re-set. Meaning when I have my 5th stay of 2 nights listed above, is that only going to count as 2 nights in the new tally?

I feel like they are going to re-set the counter every time you reach a 4 stay/10 night moment, but it would be nice if they did not. I can't seem to confirm this from the FAQ. Anyone have any guesses?
Old Sep 26, 2011, 6:43 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond
That would be 1 free night earned with your 4th stay.. odd to think you'd get another one after a couple more nights.
Old Sep 26, 2011, 6:48 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, HHonors Diamond, Southwest
Originally Posted by Crazyhotelguy
Good promo, but the exclusion list is way out of control.....

I will make a point of avoiding those hotels...
I agree. On the current promo I didn't realize three of my stays were with hotels which had opted out of the promo. In one instance I drove past a Marriott property which would have been more convenient. Had I realized they were not participating I would have stayed at the Marriott property. I'll not make that mistake again, if they are on the exclusion list, they will not be getting my business.
Old Sep 26, 2011, 6:51 am

Programs: SWA A-List Preferred & CP, Delta Diamond, HH Diamond Hyatt Diamond
This is what we've been waiting for.. a repeat of last year's Q3FN program. I should have about 35-40 nights in Q4 which will be a serious mattress hop quarter under this bonus program. The opt out hotel list (which continues to grow) will make for some interesting runs.

The 6 month limitation does kind of stink.. Certs gained in October will have to be used by early spring.

I guess a nice spring break trip with the wifey will be in order once I have 6-7 certs in hand.
Old Sep 26, 2011, 6:51 am

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
Originally Posted by MDixon
I agree. On the current promo I didn't realize three of my stays were with hotels which had opted out of the promo. In one instance I drove past a Marriott property which would have been more convenient. Had I realized they were not participating I would have stayed at the Marriott property. I'll not make that mistake again, if they are on the exclusion list, they will not be getting my business.
Not sure it would be enough to drive me to a Marriott. Hyatt for sure, SPG / ICH maybe... Marriott-never
Old Sep 26, 2011, 7:23 am

Programs: DL - KM DM, DL 1.57 MM, UA - 1P, AA - EXP HH - Diamond, PC - Platinum, SPG - Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by MDixon
I got caught on this one as well. One of the hotels I stay at regularly opted out and I didn't know it. They are also on the exclusion list for Q4 as well. I just sent an email to the manager letting him know he would not be seeing me again as long as they elected to opt out. There are a number of other hotels available in the area.
Old Sep 26, 2011, 7:39 am

Originally Posted by Stripe

The 6 month limit makes the certs less useful (at least for me), so I don't think it will drive a ton of extra stays (at least from me).
Originally Posted by UTA_flyinghigh
Not a bad promo per se but that 6-month validity dampens it a bit
Originally Posted by Ravenboy2001

The 6 month limitation does kind of stink.. Certs gained in October will have to be used by early spring.
That 6 month limitation also reduces the appeal of the promo to me. I am a leisure traveller so I'm staying on my own dime. Usually, I prefer to travel between late June and late October; with a springbreak at St. Pat's (but I've already planned and booked next year's St. Pat's stay.)
To get certs for next June, I'd have to do alot of hopping right at the holiday season. Gonna have to give this some serious thought.
Old Sep 26, 2011, 7:41 am

Programs: DL GM/HH Diamond/Marriott Silver
Forget the free night cert, double points is where it's at. Since I only stay at Hilton internationally, this is great!

13 nights Hilton Sao Paulo

20 nights Hilton London Paddington

Double Points, Plus Diamond Bonus, Plus Double dip points and points = Lots of free nights.
Old Sep 26, 2011, 7:55 am

Programs: UA - 1K, Hilton - Diamond, Starwood - Plat
Originally Posted by Boston85
This looks like a good promo for me, but I am not really sure how to understand it best. I will certainly have at least 4 stays and 10 nights over the course of the quarter. However many of my stays are 1 night or 2 at most. What would happen if I had the following stay pattern?

1 stay - 2 nights
1 stay - 1 night
1 stay - 3 nights
1 stay - 2 nights
1 stay - 2 nights

That is a total of 5 stays and 10 nights, so I would assume that would be 2 free night certs. However my 4th stay only gets me to 8 nights. It is on my 5th stay that I hit the 10 nights. After your 4th stay, does the counter re-set. Meaning when I have my 5th stay of 2 nights listed above, is that only going to count as 2 nights in the new tally?

I feel like they are going to re-set the counter every time you reach a 4 stay/10 night moment, but it would be nice if they did not. I can't seem to confirm this from the FAQ. Anyone have any guesses?
You'll get 1 Free night certificate. If you were to take those 2 night stays and mattress hop a bit and split them all into 1 night stays, you could get yourself up to 2 certificates though.

and yes, the counter resets. In the T&C it says that once you hit 4 stays or 10 nights, you will have the certificate sent to you via email.
You won't be sitting around until January waiting for the free night certificate you earned in October. You'll get it right away.
Old Sep 26, 2011, 7:55 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, MR Gold, HH Diamond, US Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by izmatron
Forget the free night cert, double points is where it's at. Since I only stay at Hilton internationally, this is great!

13 nights Hilton Sao Paulo

20 nights Hilton London Paddington

Double Points, Plus Diamond Bonus, Plus Double dip points and points = Lots of free nights.
Really only getting an extra set of base points.

You'd still earn the Base Points, Plus Diamond Bonus, Plus Double dip points points, plus 3 free night certs equivalent to ~150,000 points. If my math is right, you'll need a nightly average rate over $450 to make double points better. [150,000 pts / 33 nights / 10 pts/$ =~$454.54] (Double only Base @ 10/$)

I'm just trying to figure out how much this will ruin my life if I hop. I could earn a free night each week of travel.

Last edited by MysteryEMT; Sep 26, 2011 at 8:02 am
Old Sep 26, 2011, 7:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Valuing the free nights at 50,000 points, it means you'd need to be spending $5,000 or equivalent in your 4 stays or 10 nights before double points will be better for you. Entirely possible depending on where you stay, but don't forget you get VIP and Points and Points bonuses irrespective of which promo path you choose.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.