Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton London Kensington {GBR}

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2003, 7:24 am

Just stayed there last weekend with the wife. We bought day-long bus passes for 2 pounds each and used the 94 bus as our "lifeline" into central London. From there, we picked up other buses (rode all the way to Greenwich, *great* way to see parts of the city you normally wouldn't) and the tube with no difficulty.

It *was* a bit of a pain, and I doubt we'll look to stay there again (especially if the central line is still down). We *hated* the Metropole when we stayed there in fall of '00, but that was in the middle of their remodel. It *was* nice having the Edgeware Road tube station just across the street, though.

My advice - get a bus pass or travelcard and use the 94.
Old Feb 26, 2003, 1:31 am
Suspended

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Wingnut:
Shepherd's Bush is also served exclusively by the Central Line so isn't much use at the moment.</font>
There are two stations with the name of Shepherd's Bush (short distance awa from each other) - one on the Cenral Line and the other on the Hammersmith & City line.

Old Feb 26, 2003, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta Platinum, HHonors Diamond, PC Platinum
What exactly is a long time? Three weeks, three months, or like our Boston Big Dig, 16 years? Will be at kensington this summer and like to plan ahead. Thanks.

Nevermind, found the answer to my question in the london forum

http://www.flyertalk.com/travel/fttr...ML/000150.html

[This message has been edited by OB one (edited 02-26-2003).]
Old Feb 26, 2003, 11:01 pm

Programs: AA 2 MM LIfetime Platinum, SPG Platinum, Hilton Silver, BA
I don't remember from previous visits, but what kind of travelcards can you get? Will be staying at the Kensington on a GLON award Mar 22nd for 6 nights in London. I think I got some kind of week-end pass last time, but is there something for 6 days that would save some money?

------------------
Ms.DtG
Old Feb 27, 2003, 6:48 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by criscokid:
There are two stations with the name of Shepherd's Bush (short distance awa from each other) - one on the Cenral Line and the other on the Hammersmith & City line.
</font>
That's a very good point. I also forget about that bit of the Hammersmith line which duplicates stations on the map.
Old Feb 27, 2003, 7:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta Platinum, HHonors Diamond, PC Platinum
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by dgordon:
I don't remember from previous visits, but what kind of travelcards can you get? Will be staying at the Kensington on a GLON award Mar 22nd for 6 nights in London. I think I got some kind of week-end pass last time, but is there something for 6 days that would save some money?

</font>

Ms DTG, try these links. There is lots of good stuff in the London forum under travel even if it is not too busy.

http://www.flyertalk.com/travel/fttr...ML/000148.html

http://www.ticket-on-line.com/

http://www.thetube.com/

[This message has been edited by OB one (edited 02-27-2003).]
Old Mar 28, 2003, 6:04 am
SST

An update here from London: As of this week, the Central line tube which serves the Kensington Hilton is back into partial operation: You can only get as far east as Marble Arch, and the trains are at least 10 minutes apart, but that's better than nothing. Luckily the weather is wonderful, so walking from Arch and/or using the travelpass for the bus isn't so bad.

A tube fellow I talked to said at least three more weeks for full operation, and maybe much longer, as the cars aren't being fixed very fast.
Old Mar 29, 2003, 7:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Stayed at the Kensington last weekend and the Hyde Park a few days earlier. Not all that easy to get city centre during weekdays since the 94 buses do not run frequently enough, and too many of those going by the stop -- eastbound -- are full. Same with the 12 buses which run along Oxford/Bayswater to Notting Hill. The alternative, as mentioned, is to catch a bus infront of the hotel in the westward direction to the Shepards Bush tube station on the Hammersmith & City line, then take it north and eastward via Paddington, or in the opposite direction to connect -- well you have to walk across the street since there is no inside link -- at Hammersmith to the Picadilly Line.

This makes travelling in this part of London less than agreeable. At least there is somewhat less traffic on the city centre streets nowadays, given the L5 permit fee.
Old Mar 29, 2003, 8:20 am

Programs: HHonors Silver
Shareholder, I assume this was before the Central Line reopened past the Kensington? You can go eastbound to Notting Hill Gate and transfer to Circle or District from there now...
Old Mar 29, 2003, 4:10 pm

Programs: AA 2 MM LIfetime Platinum, SPG Platinum, Hilton Silver, BA
Used a 7 day bus pass which cost about 8 pounds. Just for buses, 4 zones.

------------------
Ms.DtG
Old Mar 30, 2003, 3:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
I don't think the Central line is open west of Notting Hill Gate, so still not running "under/past" the Hilton? The stop for the Hilton would be Holland Park or Shephard's Bush. It appears the tube line is being open in stages, and may soon run in the west. Only a very limited service in the east end was operating two weeks ago from Bethnal Green eastward.
Old Mar 30, 2003, 4:23 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Shareholder:
I don't think the Central line is open west of Notting Hill Gate</font>
Yes it is - currently a shuttle service every 10 minutes Marble Arch - Ealing Broadway.

Folks, the BEST place for up-to-date tube information is their website - www.thetube.com

They can't run an underground service, but they can manage a good website...
Old Apr 2, 2003, 3:54 pm

Location: Chicago - Delta PM, Hilton Diamond, AA PLT,UA Premier
Ive stayed at the Hilton Kensington. They upgraded me to a really nice room....for the price, its the nicest you will get! Im staying there again in a couple of weeks for work. I think Holland Park is a decent location..if you are there for tourism, the hop-on hop-off bus stop is across the street from the hotel and the express bus to Heathrow is right there too! I used to live down the street from this hotel...to the East is Shepards Bush, the West is Notting Hill and South is Kensington...all within walking distance.

If the Central Line is closed, the bus system is excellent...I loved riding the bus because you could see all the sights vs being on the congested tube. If you get a Weekly pass for the tube, you can use it on the bus, but you have to pay for a picture ID card to use the week pass. With the weekend pass, it is not required.

Enjoy London!!!

Debra
Old Apr 3, 2003, 3:07 am

Programs: Lowly BA Blue. One of the original easyJet Flight Club members and still am.
Central Line reopens today - 3rd April.
Old Apr 24, 2003, 2:57 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2mm
Best way to get from Waterloo to Kensington?

In June I'll be arriving by Eurostar at Waterloo station, and going to the Hilton Kensington.

What is the best way to get there? (If by Taxi, approx how much is it?)

I also understand that there is a bus nearby that will take me from the Hilton Kensington to LHR. Does anyone have any details that they can share?

thanks
Jerry

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.