Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton London Kensington {GBR}

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22, 2022, 1:35 am

Programs: BA Gold - HH Diamond
Yeah, afraid that will be the final straw for me as well.
Old Nov 22, 2022, 1:16 pm

Programs: hhonors diamond
Originally Posted by Abidjan
Yeah, afraid that will be the final straw for me as well.
Yep… me too, whilst it was never one of my favourites it was the lounge that was the deal breaker here, I quite liked the idea of being poured a glass of Prosecco, felt exclusive .
I found the rooms and other areas shabby but strangely my lady loved it here.
Now there is no lounge I can’t see the point in staying.
Old Jan 4, 2023, 10:49 am

DELETED - found my answer.

Last edited by lamphs; Jan 4, 2023 at 10:54 am
Old Jan 11, 2023, 1:00 pm

Yes, it is an older property. But...
  • I now have LTP with Marriott, so I am trying to maintain Hilton Diamond for another year.
  • This property had the lowest rates for the dates I wanted for London Hilton properties (still in central-ish London).
  • Two reservations - as my trip was extended on the front end - total of 8 nights.
  • Wrote to the GM (as the e-mail on the hotel's site was non-responsive) - found the GM's e-mail address in TA. I had three requests - stay in same room for both reservations, upgrade if possible, and early check-in if possible. She responded quickly with a 'yes' for #1, and reservation noted for #2 and #3.
  • How did I get there? LHR T2 arrival. Used Elizabeth Line from LHR T2 to Ealing Broadway and took cab. Note that one can transfer to the Central Line and get off at either Shephard's Bush or Holland Park. The walk from Holland Park is downhill and you only need to cross the road once. (I have two roller bags, hence I took the taxi.) On the way back, I took a cab to the Paddington Station, and the Elizabeth Line. The cab ride was about 20#, midday, weekday; just about 75 minutes from leaving the hotel and arriving at the T2 HGI check-in.
  • Arrived around 1 PM on Monday. Check-in went smoothly - Diamond recognition, upgrade to 'Superior' double - one level upgrade, two drink vouchers per day, but the room was not ready. I told the FDA that I'd have lunch in the bar/restaurant. FDA told me he'd find me when the room was ready. How many times have we all heard that, but no follow-through? He found me about 30 minutes later and gave me my room key - 6th floor, facing Holland Park Road.
  • The burger I had for lunch was terrible - probably the toughest beef I've ever tried to chew. I only finished 1/2, and I should have said something, but I didn't. I ate at the hotel one other evening - fish and chips. It was OK.
  • Room does have some wear and tear, but I am solo, alas not important. The bed was comfortable, the temperature was comfortable, and the window opened if it was too warm. And the room was clean.
  • Note that, at least my room, does not have any plugs at the bedside. There are two plugs at the desk and one at the 'coffee' counter. All three cases required the UK plug adapter to be supported to keep from falling out of the plug. Not having plugs by the bed is OK with me as I have a resolution to no longer sleep with my phone.
  • Breakfast buffet was excellent!
  • Time to checkout and check back in. I stopped at the front desk, around 8 AM, as I was going to be out until late. FDA said I was already checked-out and checked back in; all he had to do was to update my card.
  • And many of us know that the card never takes. You arrive at your room, key does not work, and its back to the front desk. Not this time - key worked.
  • I asked for a late checkout - 1 PM - granted with a smile. Noted that the cleaning crew (seems to be contractors as they all wore polo shirts with a corporate name) were standing outside my door at 12:55. I asked if they were waiting for me to leave and the answer was 'yes'.
  • FDA gave me drink vouchers for the second stay and I found another stack of drink vouchers under my door.
  • The bar/restaurant is quite busy, even at 10:30 PM on a weeknight.
  • Shephard's Bush underground/overground is a 5 minute walk; the Westfield Mall another 3 minutes beyond that. The Holland Park underground is 10 minute walk in the other direction. There are some restaurants, a Tesco, etc., just beyond the Holland Park station.
  • Note that there are two other underground stations within a 12-15 minute walk - Shephard's Bush Market and Wood Lane. Note that an announcement is made at Wood City that it is the exit to Westfield. I am familiar with the Westfield brand as a mall only. In this case, 'Westfield' seems to be a huge development, encompassing more than a mall. For returning to this property, Shephard's Bush or Shephard's Bush Market are best.
  • Bus 94 - directly in front of the property (across the street) - takes one to all of the popular spots without changing buses - Trafalgar Square, Piccadilly Circus, Oxford Circus, etc.
  • Want to go to Oxford? I was researching my options and found the Oxford Tube service - directly in front of the property. Runs 24/7 - every 15-20 minutes - 1/3 of the cost of the train and less time. The bus drops one in the middle of historic Oxford. Be sure to buy the ticket with the return - saves more $.
  • I'm frugal - not paying hotel prices for laundry. There is a dry cleaners across the street, 100-feet to the left, with a wash/dry/fold service. Note that it is not open on Sunday. Same day service is available. Also note that it seems to open somewhere within an hour of the published opening time.
  • Interestingly enough, UA has flight attendants lodge here, seems a bit far from LHR. No UA pilots stay here.
  • Most importantly, the staff here is incredibly nice. Everyone I have come across smiles, is friendly. Quite a few of the front desk and bar/restaurant staff have 'Management Trainee' name badges.
  • All in all, I recommend this property.
Abidjan likes this.

Last edited by lamphs; Jan 16, 2023 at 8:18 am
Old Nov 14, 2023, 10:58 am

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
Am staying here tonight only because I’m going to Heaven 17 at the Shepherds Bush O2.

First impressions, feels a bit old and dated. No upgrade as a diamond but I have chosen my room at end of corridor at the side of the hotel and I’m happy with it.

Just found out no lounge - so instead got showered with drinks tickets which is nice. All staff interaction has been very positive. As I had a digital key, the receptionist apologies that they don’t get to welcome Diamonds if they don’t see them, which is logical.

If I get a good sleep and breakfast is ok, then I think it will be a good value stay.

Update from the morning:

- Good sleep, although I could not warm the room as much as I wanted.
- Great breakfast
- Consistently friendly staff
- Daylight provided me with this view from my window / patio door which was locked. Not the best view. The glass was filthy and clearly what might once have been a pleasant patio had been totally left to decay. I wish I had kept the curtains closed!

Last edited by ThatT1Feeling; Nov 15, 2023 at 12:11 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.