Hilton London Kensington {GBR}

Old Dec 1, 2000, 1:29 pm

Programs: AA 2 MM LIfetime Platinum, SPG Platinum, Hilton Silver, BA
The phone charges are listed under their room rates and they are outrageous. Based on the list, when asked at check-in if I wanted my phone "unable" to make calls I said Yes. The warnings at this bulletin board alerted me to look.

------------------
DtG
Old Dec 1, 2000, 3:11 pm
Original Member

We asked the concierge of the London Green Park Hilton if there was an access charge for MCI and credit card calls. We were told it was free. Imagine my horror to see over $60 in phone charges for accessing MCI and in some cases, not even connecting! The hotel would do nothing so I contacted Adam Burke and he worked on getting me a refund. Thanks Adam!
Old Dec 1, 2000, 7:27 pm
Zip

Programs: UA-MM; Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Gold
We were at the London Green Park over Thanksgiving weekend. As Gold, got a minor upgrade (which was very appreciated, especially having spent couple nights earlier in the shoebox-room Mews). Had several local phone calls, but all were N/C for Gold!
Old Dec 6, 2000, 11:36 am

Location: ATL - DL DM/3MM - HH Lifetime Diamond - Marriott Lifetime Plat
London Kensington Report

Just got back from an award stay at the London Kensington. I had 5 other people with me. I had an award for 2 rooms and was paying for 1 room. About 2 weeks before leaving, I called the 800 line to check if any lower rates had come up for the room I was paying for. They found a rate that would save me about $50. I also checked on the room type for the award rooms. I was told that I was getting 2 Queen suites with 2 rooms and 2 bathrooms and a fruit basket at. I also asked for an early check in.
At check in (1:00PM) no rooms are available. I ask about the room types and am told that I have 3 double rooms, each with 1 double bed on a regular floor (I am a Diamond HH). After 30 minutes of conversation and the desk guy going into the back room, they come up with 2 Queen suites with 1 bathroom on the executive floor, I never got the fruit basket.
They change the other room to one with 2 twin beds and promise to call when it's ready. The rate change had never been made and they insist it must stay the same. They never call when the room gets ready but I do get the keys for the room on the executive floor.
The Hotel was very nice, the breakfast in the lounge was great and the open bar at night was great as well. The hotel is on the Central tube line so it was very convenient.
At check out, I have the items removed from the bill for the stuff from the mini-fridge that we did not use with no problem. i take another stab at getting the correct rate for the other room. After 4 trips to the back room to talk with the invisible manager that I had asked to talk to, I finally tell the desk guy to tell the manager to have the guts to come out and talk to me in person. When the manager finally comes out front, I get the rate changed. Total time at desk, 35 minutes.
Lesson learned, get a confirmation sent before showing up. I usually do that but forgot.
Old Dec 10, 2000, 12:51 pm

Programs: AA 2 MM LIfetime Platinum, SPG Platinum, Hilton Silver, BA
I enjoyed my stay at the Kensington at the end of Oct, but I was glad that I had a fax of the confirmed rates. They had it on a paper, but not in the computer system which was giving a higher rate. The manager did handle this himself and dealt with it professionally. The key is TO GET EVERYTHING IN WRITING. Faxes and e-mails are great for that - no excuses. I also double check calling back to make sure details are in the system. I also called the hotel directly from home to make sure my free "spouse" would get breakfast, and it was put in my record.

------------------
DtG
Old Dec 10, 2000, 1:37 pm
DOC 2 BE

DGordon -- .

[This message has been edited by DOC 2 BE (edited 03-11-2001).]

Old Mar 29, 2001, 1:07 pm

Hilton London Kensington hotel

Has anybody here stayed at the Kensington Hilton in London? Any opinions about the hotel itself and the advantages or disadvantages of the location would be welcome.
Old Mar 29, 2001, 1:45 pm

These links have a ton of information...try them out.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum57/HTML/000068.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum57/HTML/000116.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum57/HTML/000773.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum57/HTML/000699.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum57/HTML/000888.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum57/HTML/000806.html
Old Mar 29, 2001, 10:54 pm
Original Member

Programs: AC SE 2MM, HH Dd, SPG; IC Pl/A; AA; DL
Not discussed on any of the other threads is the ease of getting upgraded to Exec floor as Hilton Gold (isn't everybody one by now).

I will be staying there in July for Sat Sun and Mon nights for 69 pounds/night on a great value rate. I thought maybe it might be easier to get upgraded arriving on the weekend. Experiences?
Old Mar 29, 2001, 11:39 pm

Programs: AA Platinum (Lifetime), United GS, HHonors Diamond, Shangri-la Diamond, Marriott Platinum
i stayed there last month for one night (a sunday), also on a 60 or 70 pound rate. as a diamond, i was upraded to the executive floor and given access to the executive lounge without asking, the first time this has ever happened to me at the kensington. i stayed there in december for one night and received no access. and i've stayed there on and off for years, both as a gold and a diamond, with no access.

but i've noticed that there is a much higher degree of compliance overall at london hiltons these days with regard to hhonors benefits! from the langham to the kensington to the metropole, on all my recent stays (both award and paid) i've received breakfast and/or lounge access plus upgraded rooms. and on award stays, i've paid no tax... which was always a big problem, especially at the langham.

kudos to hilton and to adam burke for his behind-the-scenes actions in whipping these properties into shape!

but... a word of caution about discounted rates at the kensington... make sure you bring a printed confirmation, especially if it's an internet rate. when i checked in last time the rate they had me down for was more than three times what it was supposed to be.(it took a lot of discussion and checking with supervisors for the desk clerk to get permission to change it back to the quoted rate. the property claimed that the hilton web site often displays a different inventory of rates that are not authorized.) other that that one small snafu, the stay was fine, but i wonder in retrospect if i would have received the upgrade and the lounge access if they knew upfront i was on a discounted rate.

------------------
Take Me 2 London!
Old Mar 29, 2001, 11:46 pm

Location: ATL - DL DM/3MM - HH Lifetime Diamond - Marriott Lifetime Plat
In Dec, as a diamond on an award, I was given 2 suites on the executive floor. I did have to push for it.
Old Mar 30, 2001, 7:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
UK Stages is correct. I stayed there in February and although I had booked the L60 weekend special, was immediately upgraded to the Exec level, and got my regular full breakfast buffet privileges in the main restaurant. It has generally been my hotel of choice in London, given its proximity to the BBC, plus accessibility to other spots in London via the bus and tube. The bus stop is right across the street and service is every 5-minutes into the city, while the tube is a short 5-minute walk to either Holland Park or Shepherds Bush [both on the Central line]. It is also one of the better priced London properties. Of course, there is also an Airbus stop in front, which helps. Or one can use a quick bus connection to the Hammersmith tube line Shepherd's Bush station [there are two unconnected Shepherd's Bush stations, one on the Central line and the other on the Hammersmith & City line] which takes you to the Picadilly line and the Heathrow tube train.

But access as a Gold to the Exec floor has been sporatic over the years. Though my experience right across the Hilton chain now shows that Golds do get upgraded if space is available, no need to ask. [I am 3 for 4 on this for 2001, though Time Square, as we all there for CatmanDo3 found out, does not have an Exec Floor.]

Just an aside: the exec floor rooms use traditional Moulton Brown toiletries, while the rest of the hotel has adopted those new Hilton International standard test-tubes of shampoo, shower gel, etc.

BB, if you need any other info on the property, just let me know.

[This message has been edited by Shareholder (edited 03-30-2001).]
Old Mar 30, 2001, 7:49 am
Original Member

Programs: AC SE 2MM, HH Dd, SPG; IC Pl/A; AA; DL
Thanks all.
Old Mar 31, 2001, 7:47 pm
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AA ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Titanium, IHG Spire/Ambassador
I could have cared less about the executive upgrade for the cheap rate I got at this hotel. It is within a three block walk of the Holland Park tube stop, a good grocery store for cheap eats as well as a few pubs and restaurants between the hotel and tube stop.
It is within walking distance of Hyde Park.

Old Jan 10, 2002, 11:44 pm

Need input about upgrading on an award stay

My husband and I will be staying at the Kensington in London on a GLON award in April. We have the choice of taking a morning or evening flight to London. The morning flight would fit better with my husband's work schedule, but our arrival at the Kensington would be 11 p.m. or thereabouts. Past threads have indicated this hotel is good about offering upgrades, and the Hilton rep mentioned this as well. However, won't such a late arrival greatly affect our chances? The rep said he would request an upgrade with our reservation, but doesn't it really amount to first come first served?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.