Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton London Kensington {GBR}

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2002, 6:40 pm

Programs: UA Global Services, AA Lifetime ExecPlat, LH Senator, SQ PPS Solitaire, Hyatt Courtesy Card
Question. We are wanting to stay here July 23-25 because we are told this is the only hotel within walking distance of the concert venue Shepherd's Bush Empire. The rate, however, is 179 pounds per night - about 255 USD. That seems high from reading this thread, but, perhaps because it is summer this is the best we can do.

Anyone have any advice on getting a better rate, or, if there are other hotels within walking distance of the concert venue at Shepherd's Bush Empire?

Thanks!
Old May 17, 2002, 6:45 pm

Programs: UA Global Services, AA Lifetime ExecPlat, LH Senator, SQ PPS Solitaire, Hyatt Courtesy Card
Well, I also posted in another thread but read this now: I must be doing something terribly wrong - I am only getting a lowest rate of 179 pounds for July 23-25. Bummer. Any advice, folks? Thanks much.
Old May 17, 2002, 7:37 pm
Original Member

Programs: AC SE 2MM, HH Dd, SPG; IC Pl/A; AA; DL
Travel may have picked up -- who knows. 76 pound rates were in abundance, even on weekdays last summer for 30 day advance bookings.
Old May 17, 2002, 11:51 pm

Its funny, according to the phone reps at hhonors reservations, the hotel is "way less than 50 percent sold." Maybe things will open I, I will have to just keep trying I suppose.

I wonder if there are any other hotels very near to here I could choose instead.
Old May 18, 2002, 6:44 am

Programs: BA Gold, HHons diamond
Thesilb,

Try looking in the special offers section of the website. The Kensington is coming in at £117 for each of those two nights.

Alternatively, telephone Hilton and quote code 9Y - that's the code for the UK Leisure Breaks which includes breakfast and sometimes dinner. There's an advert in the UK press today that quotes the Kensington for Spring/Summer as from £44 per night, breakfast included, under the 9Y code. That rate is per person based on 2 people staying for 2 consecutive nights. Saturday night not required except for stays in May. The UK telephone number that the advert refers to is 08708 902220.

I do like the Kensington. It's the one Hilton where I have unfailingly been upgraded as a gold without ever asking.
Old May 18, 2002, 11:29 am

Nickl,

Thanks much for the information. I was not successful in finding the 117 pound rate for July 23-25 for 2 nights. I tried going in through special offers both on the hilton.com site, then I also tried on hilton.co.uk thinking maybe you used that site. I found 15 pages of offers for the UK, and scrolling through I found 3 offers for the Kensington - an "Alitalia special," a leisure rate and a bonus Hhonors point rate, and I tried all three at both .com and .co.uk sites. Nothing lower than 179 pounds. I wonder what I am doing wrong?

I do want to thank you for the F9 code. The special rate apparently is not available at the Kensington on those dates, but I did get a reservation at the Olympia which they tell me is 1/2 mile away, for 69 pounds per night, tax and breakfast included.

I would still pay 117 for the Kensignton if I could nail down how to get that rate, but not 179.

Thanks for the tip. I'm getting closer!
Old Feb 21, 2003, 12:30 pm
SST

Kensington Hilton London: Tube alternatives?

Given that the Central Line is down, apparently for a long time, what are/did those of you who stay at the Kensington Hilton do?

Taxis are pretty expensive from that far out to the west end or the city. Is there an alternative station? How far is the walk to Notting Hill Gate station? Or is the bus service beefed up to handle the load?

I've got a couple weeks before we go, but I'm wondering if I should rebook somewhere else, since we've only got a few nights, and I don't want to spend most of the time trying to work around this.
Old Feb 21, 2003, 1:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
There's the bus that goes down Holland Park that follows the Central Line route until Oxford Circus where it goes down Regent Street to Picadilly Circus. Where is your ultimate destination?

I'd estimate Notting Hill Gate as 15-20 minutes' walk away. Not the most pleasant walk due to traffic.

Otherwise, you could walk to the Olympia District Line station though service may be spotty and infrequent. The other alternative is the Hammersmith and City Line at Shepherd's Bush.
Old Feb 21, 2003, 3:49 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Stayed once at Hilton Olympia and the inconvenience due to the lack of good Olympia station service was a major pain in the neck. I don't recommend Olympia station as an alternative (nor that Hilton)!
Old Feb 21, 2003, 5:16 pm
SST

No particular destination, Terenz, and everywhere. The Central Line had frequent enough trains to make this hotel a good choice for getting around London; without a viable Tube stop, or a 15 minute walk, I'm thinking of using the Millennium hotels, who have similar good rates, since I can't find another Hilton with a <99GBP rate.

I, too, dislike the Olympia for it's crummy tube service.

Anyone know how far the other Shepherd's Bush stop is to walk? Is it farther than Notting Hill Gate?
Old Feb 21, 2003, 5:41 pm

Programs: AA Plt, HH Diamond, IHG Plt
We walked to the Shepherd's Bush tube from the Kensington and it is not far at all. It is closer than Holland Park. Just go left when you exit the hotel and it takes no more than 10 minutes to walk there.

[This message has been edited by ernie8575 (edited 02-21-2003).]
Old Feb 23, 2003, 1:52 am
Original Member

Programs: AccorHotels finished, Honors Plat, MeliaRewards Gold, SPG dead, AF Frequence+ forever
Central Line seems to be closed until further notice...
The best solution for the Kensington is the bus 94 and a new route (214?). Very frequent combined service and buses are not so bad outside peaks.
Same for the Olympia and routes 9 and (new) 10. There is a Kensington Olympia tube station (5 mins walk). Change at Earl's Court for Piccadilly and District and High Street Kensington for Circle Line.
Those two hotels are among the cheapest in London, the counterpart ia to accept more constraints on public transportation. Note that the Olympia has a "minicab" service next door, an alternate to black cabs.
Old Feb 23, 2003, 4:21 am

mispost

[This message has been edited by Wingnut (edited 02-25-2003).]
Old Feb 24, 2003, 2:31 am
Suspended

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by SST:
I'm thinking of using the Millennium hotels, who have similar good rates, since I can't find another Hilton with a &lt;99GBP rate.</font>
Hilton Metropole have rates from £87 at the moment. Closest tube station is Edgware Road (Hammermith & City, Circle & Ditrict Lines) with buses serving loads of different destinations from various bus stops on Edgeware Road.

Check out the new London Transport Journey Planner at http://journeyplanner.tfl.gov.uk
Old Feb 25, 2003, 4:51 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by SST:
Or is the bus service beefed up to handle the load? </font>
ROTFLMAO

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ernie8575:
We walked to the Shepherd's Bush tube from the Kensington</font>
Shepherd's Bush is also served exclusively by the Central Line so isn't much use at the moment. If you can get a similar rate at the Metropole then rebook - it's a better property with better transport links into town (in the absence of the Central Line) and to LHR.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.