Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

List your Free car upgrades here (Outside of Ultimate Choice)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

List your Free car upgrades here (Outside of Ultimate Choice)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2015, 1:42 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Originally Posted by Allvest
Then it's not a benefit. It's just marketing scribbling something to draw customers.
The fact is, that what you want (manual to automatic upgrade), isn't actually a published benefit. You can't blame Hertz for not providing you something they didn't promise to provide you.

Last edited by Rut Dog; Aug 11, 2015 at 7:58 pm
Old Aug 11, 2015, 2:51 pm
Carlson Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz & Avis PC; National EE; SPG & Hilton Gold; AC 35K (yawn)
Originally Posted by Allvest
I actually get nice upgrades in Hamburg.

I am President Circle. They don't have Plat in Canada apparently.
I think the worst upgrade I ever got in Germany was a a V60 TDI (from compact).

Generally I get a Merc or BMW or some size. Last time was a CLS shooting brake I had to refuse because it was too big!

This is when I was PC.
Old Aug 11, 2015, 3:43 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by cestmoi123
The fact is, that what you want (manual to automatic upgrade), isn't actually a published benefit. You can't blame Hertz for not providing you something they didn't promise to provide you.
Sure thing. Although, I have no issue driving a standard, I am almost always given automatic in Germany, especial FRA and HAM.

In most cases a one-car upgrade appears to be the color of paint, or maybe something esoteric I cannot seem to distinguish. In no case, EVER, have I actually been given the car shown on the reservation as representing the group or category I booked.

In some cases, I booked a Volvo XC60 or BMW X1 and was given a Hyunday. C'mon. Does Hertz think I rent a car in Germany to get a Korean piece of junk?

In Italy I booked a Fiat 500L (my wife wanted to try it), and there was no Fiat 500L to be found far and wide. Got an Alfa Romeo Guiletta or whatever it's called. Actually handles quite nicely in the curves.

That said, despite the marketing hype about upgrades one shouldn't have any expectations at all.
Old Aug 11, 2015, 3:46 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by briantoronto
I think the worst upgrade I ever got in Germany was a a V60 TDI (from compact).

Generally I get a Merc or BMW or some size. Last time was a CLS shooting brake I had to refuse because it was too big!

This is when I was PC.
...and that: Germany, is where I am going to start and end my Europe trips again from now. I deviated a bit with this Italian trip and it confirmed what I suspected....Italy is just not fun to be a customer, be it hotels, restaurants or car rentals. Gas is hellishly expensive, and the tolls are outrageous if you drive alot. It's a fallen empire with "patina" and a huge attitude. Drivers are the rudest I have experienced. And I drive regularly in Bangkok, Germany, NYC and so on.
Old Aug 12, 2015, 3:10 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
The last car I booked in Germany was an intermediate. I was given a BMW X1 and had to take it from Berlin central station to the airport to swap it out because I needed something to take across the border into Poland.

I ended up with a Hyundai ix35 (a Tucson in the US, and I was 5*, not PC at the time) and I forget whether it was automatic or manual. For what it's worth, the Hyundai had a much nicer engine.

Having just driven an XC60 I'm really not sure I'd be disappointed to get a Santa Fe instead - while it's a great place to be, and a nice upgrade to what I booked, the engine and ride are quite unrefined and in those respects I think I actually preferred the Tucson... not had a Santa Fe as they're rare here but I still couldn't feel shortchanged unless the price was meant to be lower.

I would say that I end up with an automatic maybe 25% of the time when booking a manual in Europe.
Old Aug 21, 2015, 11:22 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
DUB
Luxury - BMW 520d or similar (I)
None
Yes - BMW 730d (Z1) ����

Last edited by UAPremExecflyer; Sep 7, 2015 at 9:11 am Reason: Corrected vehicle category to Z1 from Z6
Old Aug 22, 2015, 7:38 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
LGA
Reserved: G
Received: 2015 I BuickLaCross. Nice upgrade; Premium 2 trim (fully loaded) and 12,500 miles on the odometer.
Old Aug 23, 2015, 2:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott 5+ BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian
LGA
Reserved: G
Received: 2015 I BuickLaCross. Nice upgrade; Premium 2 trim (fully loaded) and 12,500 miles on the odometer.
Just curious... did it have the 3.6L or 2.4L eAssist?

-J.
Old Aug 23, 2015, 3:41 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
It was the V-6; really nice setup.

At ORD today the "upgrade" for my F reservation was an F6 Altima. I tried using Carfirmation to change it, but was only offered Impala Classics. I took a 2015 Toyota Camry LE with 2,600 miles on the odometer from Gold Choice. There was an interesting-looking Chrysler 200 next to it with black rims and low-profile tires; I was tempted...
Old Aug 23, 2015, 4:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor BadgeMarriott 5+ Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian
It was the V-6; really nice setup.

At ORD today the "upgrade" for my F reservation was an F6 Altima. I tried using Carfirmation to change it, but was only offered Impala Classics. I took a 2015 Toyota Camry LE with 2,600 miles on the odometer from Gold Choice. There was an interesting-looking Chrysler 200 next to it with black rims and low-profile tires; I was tempted...
The V6 LaCrosse is one of my favorites ^

I would have taken the 200... the new one is supposed to be fantastic.

-J.
Old Aug 24, 2015, 2:33 am

Regensburg, Germany, Corporate Location

Reserved: Group M ("Opel Mokka Automatic Trasmission or similar")

Options: None

Upgrade: Yes, Group I ("Mercedes C-Class Automatic Transmission - GPS or similar")

Received: Jeep Cherokee Limited, Automatic Transmission, GPS, AWD, heated and cooled seats, etc., 12000km
Nice car, not quite sure which which motor, was a Diesel and sccording to the registration had 170hp
managed to get 6.5l/100km over a distance of 828km with decent highway driving (about 36mpg us)

Last edited by at4behe1; Aug 24, 2015 at 2:34 am Reason: typo
Old Aug 24, 2015, 6:51 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
NYC HLE
PC
Reserved: Premium (G)
Received: 2015 Buick Lacrosse (Luxury (I)) with 14k miles. Had it for a road trip, and really an excellent highway cruiser. Don't know if it was the 3.6 or 2.4, but had plenty of pep, and got 30mpg+ on the highway, 27mpg overall average, pretty good for a not small car. Huge trunk as well.
Old Aug 24, 2015, 7:06 am

My Past Few Rentals

All C or R Groups

Received Volvo V40 R Design D4, Kia Sportage KX 3 (fully Loaded), last rental on a R group managed to get me a Merc C220, didnt have anything ready and was not willing to wait either.
Old Aug 28, 2015, 1:06 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
LHR
President's Circle
Booked: D (Intermediate) - Skoda Octavia or similar
Received: K (Small SUV) - Honda CRV

One of the biggest cars in the class is also one of the most economical, and also surprisingly quick and handled well too. Very pleased with the car, though disappointed to note a lack of Bluetooth and parking sensors on a £26k car!
Old Aug 31, 2015, 9:44 am

Programs: VISA Infinite, AmEx Platinum, Flying Blue Platinum for Life, Hertz 5*, Sixt Platinum
LAX
5*
Booked : Ford Explorer w.7 seats (L4)
Assigned : Nissan Pathfinder with 58 kmiles
The parking lot was like totally empty.
Received : Escalade (P6), wi 5,000 miles and built-in SatNav + NeverLost, but disabled Xm/Sirius. Paid $75 daily upgrade, on an amazingly low rate of $550 for 16 days.
Final bill of $1,750 turned out to be far cheaper than quotes.

BUR
5*
Booked : C - Toyota Corolla
Assigned : C - Kia something
Received : G - Impala, with working Sirius/XM, paying an uggrade of $15 / day, on a daily rate $40.

PSP
5*
Booked : C - Toyota Corolla
Received : F - Chrysler 200

LAX
5*
Booked : U - Chrysler 200 convertible
Received : U4 - Camro Convertible with built-in SatNav but disabled XM/Sirius.
Good deal, as my prepaid boking was $200 for one week.

LAX
5*
Booked : H4 - MB GLK
Received : H4 - MB GLK with 5 kmile, no built-in SatNav, butNeverLost and working XM/Sirius

All these between July 25 - August 20
I tend to reserve the bare minimum, serving my needs, not my wishes, hoping for he best, sometimes getting it, and paying for the upgrade when it is not volunteered. Always cheaper than booking the desired car.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.