Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

List your Free car upgrades here (Outside of Ultimate Choice)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

List your Free car upgrades here (Outside of Ultimate Choice)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15, 2013, 3:05 pm

Programs: Amtrak Select Executive, Hertz PC, National EE, IC Diamond Ambassador, ALL Gold, Hyatt Disc
SFO
PC, No Options
Reserved: C
Assigned: '13 Toyota Prius w/ 7k
Old Dec 15, 2013, 7:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott 5+ BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian
Manhattan (12th St.)
Reserved: F

At first, they tried to pawn off a Dodge Avenger on me, which I refused. I took the YF 2014 Impala Limited 2LT (3,800 miles) they gave me only after I had them downgrade me from F to C.
For a split second I got so excited while reading your post -- then I saw the "Limited"

If you had stopped at "YF 2014 Impala"... heh that'll be the day

-J.
Old Dec 15, 2013, 10:53 pm

Programs: Avios, Skywards, Amex
I almost always get upgraded as I'm Presidents Circle. The 2 best times this happend where as follows

1) Dubai Airport
Booked a C or D I think. Turned up and asked if they had anything I could upgrade to. They politely said there was nothing available. Then I pulled out my Presidents Circle card, and the guy was straight on the phone to the depot telling them "I have a presidents circle here now - you need to bring me something". 15 minutes later theres a Lexus LS330 waiting for me outside - very nice!
2) Munich Airport. I booked a convertible BMW 3 Series.
Turned up and asked if they had anything to upgrade me to. They told me they did, but it wouldn't be a convertible. I explained I was driving around Europe (All the way to Spain) and wanted a convertible. Then they realised the car the BMW they had assigned to me was due for service anyway so guess what, they gave me a convertible Jag XKR - and yes guys it is true that on some of the German highways you have no speed restrictions! probably the best trip of my life I put 8000 km onto that car in 10 days!

The moral of the story if there is one is that in both cases - and others where I get amazing upgrades, I go when they aren't too busy - find someone who looks friendly and then just start chatting with them. A little bit of good rapport goes a lot further than demanding you get an upgrade which usually fails!
Old Dec 15, 2013, 11:22 pm

Programs: Amtrak Select Executive, Hertz PC, National EE, IC Diamond Ambassador, ALL Gold, Hyatt Disc
Originally Posted by killkenny
I almost always get upgraded as I'm Presidents Circle. The 2 best times this happend where as follows

1) Dubai Airport
Booked a C or D I think. Turned up and asked if they had anything I could upgrade to. They politely said there was nothing available. Then I pulled out my Presidents Circle card, and the guy was straight on the phone to the depot telling them "I have a presidents circle here now - you need to bring me something". 15 minutes later theres a Lexus LS330 waiting for me outside - very nice!
2) Munich Airport. I booked a convertible BMW 3 Series.
Turned up and asked if they had anything to upgrade me to. They told me they did, but it wouldn't be a convertible. I explained I was driving around Europe (All the way to Spain) and wanted a convertible. Then they realised the car the BMW they had assigned to me was due for service anyway so guess what, they gave me a convertible Jag XKR - and yes guys it is true that on some of the German highways you have no speed restrictions! probably the best trip of my life I put 8000 km onto that car in 10 days!

The moral of the story if there is one is that in both cases - and others where I get amazing upgrades, I go when they aren't too busy - find someone who looks friendly and then just start chatting with them. A little bit of good rapport goes a lot further than demanding you get an upgrade which usually fails!
While true, I also believe that Hertz should be expected to conform to their guaranteed guidelines for upgrading President Circle (and Platinum) members as well as 5* members when available. I have received many nice upgrades and a lot of the agents do recognize me, however there are those that do not honor the guaranteed upgrade initially without going in and asking/reminding of the policy. A large perk of Gold Service is not having to stop and wait for counter service. Having to stop at the counter and speak with the counter staff regarding upgrades or car assignments takes away from that. For example, if I book a "C" I'd expect an upgrade from that, presumably to an "F" or at least a "D". C to C brings a little reminder that there should be an upgrade on the reservation. Also C to B brings about another conversation of why the initial reservation was not honored. Having reps also act like they have gone out of their way to provide me with a "courtesy" upgrade, despite the fact it is guaranteed in the terms and conditions also is something that gets to me sometimes.

Point is: I don't go in expecting the best or a nice upgrade, I just go in with the (hopefully reasonable) expectation that Hertz will keep up their end of the deal and follow the minimum 1-Car Class Guaranteed Upgrade up to a G for PC's and I for Plat's. Anything beyond that I see as bonus points for them in terms of keeping a customer happy.

And as stated... a good rapport goes a long way as well.
Old Dec 16, 2013, 9:10 am

Programs: UA Gold 0.663MM, MR LT Titanium, IHG Platinum, Hertz PC
New York, NY - East 12th Street HLE
Luxury - Buick Lacrosse or similar
President's Circle, no options
Received: 2013 Toyota Avalon XLE (YI) | Neverlost | 15414 miles | MA plates

I later made the expensive mistake of losing the keys to this car
Old Dec 18, 2013, 10:23 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
LHR
Premium automatic (G) - Audi 4 or similar
None
Yes - Volvo XC60 w/satnav (L6)

DUB
Luxury automatic (I) - BMW 520d or similar
None
Yes - Range Rover Sport (Y6)
Old Dec 18, 2013, 2:40 pm

Programs: UA Gold 0.663MM, MR LT Titanium, IHG Platinum, Hertz PC
FNT
Full-Size (F) - Dodge Avenger or similar
President's Circle, no options
Received: 2013 Nissan Altima S (F6) | 26547 miles | TX plates
Old Dec 18, 2013, 8:22 pm

- West Board 8201 Richmond HLE
- Intermediate (ICAR)
- No
- Yes!! and thats a Chevrolet Camaro Convertible (U)

I was really surprise they upgrade this car class to me because I am underage (only 20).
When I was signing up the contract with agent, the manager steps in and chat with me. I ask him which car I will get. He said I am getting the ford focus but I can get the Camaro if i want to. I said sure! But if it is a free upgrade haha.

He pause for a second and said "Yea, sure! why not"

The car is in very good condition with a really bright red color. :P
Old Dec 18, 2013, 8:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor BadgeMarriott 5+ Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
Originally Posted by s0511111
- West Board 8201 Richmond HLE
- Intermediate (ICAR)
- No
- Yes!! and thats a Chevrolet Camaro Convertible (U)

I was really surprise they upgrade this car class to me because I am underage (only 20).
When I was signing up the contract with agent, the manager steps in and chat with me. I ask him which car I will get. He said I am getting the ford focus but I can get the Camaro if i want to. I said sure! But if it is a free upgrade haha.

He pause for a second and said "Yea, sure! why not"

The car is in very good condition with a really bright red color. :P
Nice! Reminds me of my first upgrade... December 2011 when I paid up to a beautiful red Corvette in SLC Looking back I paid more than I should have, but considering I was underage I thought it was a steal.

Welcome to FT and may the good upgrades keep on flowing

-J.
Old Dec 24, 2013, 9:00 pm

CYOW
Reserved G ( 2free weeks)
no options
Received YI Chrysler 300c w/moonroof but no nav :s

Has anyone seen a 300c as YI before?
Old Dec 25, 2013, 7:27 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
GVA
Booked K (Ford Kuga or similar)
No options
Upgraded to X Volvo XC70 (4WD with Sat Nav, heated leather seats, rear parking sensors).

Nice upgrade for our ski trip, as easier to fit in skis than a Kuga would have been. I specified 'presidents circle please upgrade, must be SUV' in the booking.
Old Dec 25, 2013, 11:33 am

Programs: AAexp, AC75k, HertzPC, NationalEE, Accor/MariottP, Hilton/HyattG
Edmonton Southside
Booked Compact
PC
Received 2012 base Impala with 50K miles. Had to stop by airport to swap as there was cat hair everywhere and the exhaust was falling off and hitting the pavement. Got YF Passat, my favorite F.
Old Dec 25, 2013, 7:04 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Jersey City HLE
Received: L 2012 Dodge Journey SXT AWD with working Sirius/XM and 48,000 miles on the odometer. A little tired (and thirsty) but still pretty fun to drive.
Old Dec 26, 2013, 2:49 pm

Programs: AA Plt, Marriott Gold, National EE, Hertz PC, El Mambero De Mucci, PWP Aide to Generalissimo Godot
Any of the Plats get any good upgrades lately? I didn't rent much in 2013 but will definitely do so for 2014...
Old Dec 27, 2013, 9:05 am
Used to be ' simz '

Programs: Does it matter..??? It doesn't matter to them
Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian
Jersey City HLE
Received: L 2012 Dodge Journey SXT AWD with working Sirius/XM and 48,000 miles on the odometer. A little tired (and thirsty) but still pretty fun to drive.
My fav HLE of all Hertz locations around the world.. the staff are an absolute delight and the Manager Mike (and earlier Frank) are very good at taking care of customers..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.