Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

List your Free car upgrades here (Outside of Ultimate Choice)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

List your Free car upgrades here (Outside of Ultimate Choice)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2013, 6:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott 5+ BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
Talking

SLC
No reservation (future ICAR)
No options; 5*
Asked for SUV; offered Chevy Equinox ^

I'm not picking up until Saturday morning -- I haven't even made a reservation yet and I've already been upgraded! THIS is why Hertz always gets my business, every single time.

-J.
Old Nov 20, 2013, 6:24 pm
Carlson Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz & Avis PC; National EE; SPG & Hilton Gold; AC 35K (yawn)
Toronto Union Station Nov 14
Booked A, no options
Took a Toyota Matrix (C) w NL (touch-screen, a first for me in Canada) and XM.
POS, but the lowest mileage at 13K
Old Nov 20, 2013, 6:50 pm

Programs: AAexp, AC75k, HertzPC, NationalEE, Accor/MariottP, Hilton/HyattG
Originally Posted by jzweighaft
SLC
No options; 5*

I'm not picking up until Saturday morning -- I haven't even made a reservation yet and I've already been upgraded! THIS is why Hertz always gets my business, every single time.

-J.
:P in before upgrade to compass

YEG Southside HLE
Reserved Economy
PC
Received Sentra '13

The 2013 ones aren't too bad, much better than the 11's... has LED signals and brake lights, and LED Daytime running lights as well lol
Old Nov 24, 2013, 1:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor BadgeMarriott 5+ Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
Originally Posted by jzweighaft
SLC
No options; 5*

Originally Posted by SKYEG
:P in before upgrade to compass
Received: L - 2013 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ (2.4L AWD) ^^

Not including the Camaro or Challenger, this is my new favorite vehicle. I actually just extended my rental by a day too. I would call it quits with variety and stick with these if Hertz had them with the 3.6L

Looking at the Carfirmation... originally I was assigned a 2014 LTZ a rarity at SLC. But it was locked so I got reassigned into this one.

-J.

Last edited by GW McLintock; Nov 24, 2013 at 3:42 pm Reason: 2014 Equinox
Old Nov 24, 2013, 8:36 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
LGA (one-way to Manhattan)
Reserved: F
Assigned: F Chrysler 200

I tried using Carfirmation to get a better car but was only offered a Crown Vic for no additional charge.

I've had problems at LGA at the past with the agent who works the Gold Counter on weekends and was sad to see him sitting at the desk when I walked in to ask for a better car. After getting his standard "upgrades are not guaranteed" argument (I'm President's Circle), I pulled up the email I have from the NY Area Manager stating otherwise and asked him to read it.

I was given a L 2013 Chevy Equinox LTZ.
Old Nov 25, 2013, 11:42 am

Programs: Hertz Presidents Circle; SPG Lifetime Platinum; Hilton Honors Diamond
Arrived at LHR today to find a worryingly empty looking facility.

One rental, so I feared the worst.

For once, they seemed to recognize my Presidents Circle (or have no other cars to give me), so:

Booked D (usually a Skoda Octavia 1.6 TDi - a nice car)
Got a VW Passat Estate 1.6 TDi 105 S..... usually I reject Passats as the ****-ing electronic handbrake is particularly awful, but on this occasion, I just took it so I could get home. It's not a bad car.

Oh, and I had a 2013 Sentra in SoCal these past 2 days. The interior might be an improvement on the old car, but the engine/CVT combination is awful. Once you go over about 3000 revs, the thing is so noisy and it stays that way for ever as it is not like there is another gear ratio to change up to. It joins my list of "cars to avoid".
Old Nov 25, 2013, 12:05 pm

This is a very old upgrade, but still own the right to be on the record.

Rented Medium 2 door car, after waiting 50 minutes outside with the sun on our heads with luggage on the sidewalk, I was awarded with a loaded brand new Lincoln Navigator.

Oct 2010, Port of Miami Crowded location.

Car was dirty on the inside with some trash, complained about it upon return at MIA and got $ 30 off my rate.
Old Nov 25, 2013, 12:25 pm

Programs: BA GGL, Marriott, IHG, Sirius, Dusit, Thai, Virgin, Hyatt, BAA, AS, AA(both)
Originally Posted by Red Scorpion
Arrived at LHR today to find a worryingly empty looking facility.

One rental, so I feared the worst.

For once, they seemed to recognize my Presidents Circle (or have no other cars to give me), so:

Booked D (usually a Skoda Octavia 1.6 TDi - a nice car)
Got a VW Passat Estate 1.6 TDi 105 S..... usually I reject Passats as the ****-ing electronic handbrake is particularly awful, but on this occasion, I just took it so I could get home. It's not a bad car.

Oh, and I had a 2013 Sentra in SoCal these past 2 days. The interior might be an improvement on the old car, but the engine/CVT combination is awful. Once you go over about 3000 revs, the thing is so noisy and it stays that way for ever as it is not like there is another gear ratio to change up to. It joins my list of "cars to avoid".
The D will be changing to the Volvo V40 D3 at some point soon (F will be the auto version)
Old Nov 25, 2013, 1:16 pm

They've had Volvo V40s for about 6 months, and they are indeed in Group D. However, they are numerically far fewer than Octavia, and given the huge number of VW Group products in the UK fleet, I'd be surprised if they phase out the Octavia. Besides, there's a lot more space in the Skoda than the rather tight Volvo, so nice car though the Swede is, I doubt it will become the only car in the Group.

Also spotted a couple of BMW 5 Touring in the UK fleet for the first time. Would guess that these are an alternative to the A6 Avant. And some Mazda 6 Estate - presumably they will be Group I (Passat/Mondeo. Insignia alternative).
Old Nov 25, 2013, 3:07 pm

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
If a V40 is a 'D' then that definitely makes me think my group 'N', poverty-spec Golf on a 'D' booking was a downgrade.

How did the one way rate work out for you this time?
Old Nov 25, 2013, 4:04 pm

Programs: BA GGL, Marriott, IHG, Sirius, Dusit, Thai, Virgin, Hyatt, BAA, AS, AA(both)
Originally Posted by Cymro
If a V40 is a 'D' then that definitely makes me think my group 'N', poverty-spec Golf on a 'D' booking was a downgrade.

How did the one way rate work out for you this time?
Sorry didn't see your post, N is a Green (diesel) C, definitely a downgrade and worth a call to Swords
Old Nov 25, 2013, 4:11 pm

Originally Posted by Red Scorpion
They've had Volvo V40s for about 6 months, and they are indeed in Group D. However, they are numerically far fewer than Octavia, and given the huge number of VW Group products in the UK fleet, I'd be surprised if they phase out the Octavia. Besides, there's a lot more space in the Skoda than the rather tight Volvo, so nice car though the Swede is, I doubt it will become the only car in the Group.

Also spotted a couple of BMW 5 Touring in the UK fleet for the first time. Would guess that these are an alternative to the A6 Avant. And some Mazda 6 Estate - presumably they will be Group I (Passat/Mondeo. Insignia alternative).
Just going off LCY which had 13 tonight, two XC60's, one XC90 (and the X5 I had over the weekend). Agree about the lack of boot space on the V40, there is also no left foot rest
Old Nov 25, 2013, 7:01 pm

Programs: CA *G | UA *S | Marriott Ti | GHA Black
Toronto Downtown
Reserved on F w/Points
Assigned a 2013 Chevy Equinox

Previously had very bad experience with Chevy cars, so I ask the lady in the counter if she has anything else. Offered a $20 per day upgrades to QC plate Mercedes-Benz C300. A okay deal.
Old Nov 26, 2013, 2:39 pm

Originally Posted by E14 26C
Sorry didn't see your post, N is a Green (diesel) C, definitely a downgrade and worth a call to Swords
I would not be so sure that this considered a downgrade.

For sure, one of the sample cars, the Golf is slightly smaller than a D car, but the rental price of a Group N is usually more than a Group D, so in Hertz' eyes, this may not be the downgrade that you think it is. By all means call and ask, but don't be surprised if you get a negative.
Old Nov 27, 2013, 8:47 am

Still working quite decent...

Regensburg, Germany, Straubinger Strasse, Corporate Location

Booked: M (Volvo V40 Automatic or similar)
Received: X6 Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0 CRD AWD Limited, GPS, Leather, 900km on the ODO

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.