Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

List your Free car upgrades here (Outside of Ultimate Choice)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

List your Free car upgrades here (Outside of Ultimate Choice)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2014, 2:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott 5+ BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
Originally Posted by CrazyOne
Nice, but doesn't the Jetta have a ski passthrough via the rear armrest? I'm pretty sure it does. So your premise for the change may not have been necessary. Although, the agents don't necessarily know that.

Really weird that it had factory nav. Unusual choice, not sure why they would have gotten that for the fleet. The Chevy touchscreen is actually pretty decent, but I've never had one that actually had the nav in it.
I'm not a fan of Jettas to begin with, so I was more than happy to take my favorite crossover off their hands for a day This is the second Chevy I've had that came with factory nav; I had a Camaro back in October that had it. The SRX I had in December also had it.

-J.
Old Feb 21, 2014, 4:21 pm

Originally Posted by jzweighaft
I'm not a fan of Jettas to begin with, so I was more than happy to take my favorite crossover off their hands for a day This is the second Chevy I've had that came with factory nav; I had a Camaro back in October that had it. The SRX I had in December also had it.

-J.
The current generation Jettas are absolute crap... Had one with 2k and new car smell, and it rattles more than the 2008 Accord w/ 175k on it that I have in the family
Old Feb 21, 2014, 4:23 pm

Programs: AAexp, AC75k, HertzPC, NationalEE, Accor/MariottP, Hilton/HyattG
Originally Posted by CTNYC
The current generation Jettas are absolute crap... Had one with 2k and new car smell, and it rattles more than the 2008 Accord w/ 175k on it that I have in the family
+1... but the new passats are EXCELLENT value... the best F car.
Old Feb 21, 2014, 5:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor BadgeMarriott 5+ Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
Originally Posted by SKYEG
How new are these Passats? I've heard awful things about relatively new ones... the 2.5L is supposedly weak and the interior is spartan. I haven't seen any Passats at Hertz recently to try out myself, although I did have a CC last Fall which I enjoyed very much

-J.
Old Feb 21, 2014, 7:56 pm

Originally Posted by SKYEG
Hmm... Will need to check out the Passat when I get a chance then... I loved the last generation Jettas (2006 to 2010 I believe) It was definitely higher priced than the Japanese/American/Korean competitors, but a very nice vehicle for the class IMO

I do have a bias against European cars because of all the horror stories I hear about BMWs, Mercedes, Audis, and VWs, and since the cars in my family usually get driven 40k miles/year, low and cheap maintenance is key, although I have been hearing good things about Audi lately
Old Feb 21, 2014, 9:57 pm
SLV

Programs: Hertz PC
SMF: booked compact, received Charger with 2000 miles on the odometer. They seemed to be receiving a shipment with 2 trailers in front full of brand new Chargers at the time of pickup
Old Feb 22, 2014, 9:03 pm

Programs: Airline/TSA Avoidance Platinum, Hotel Disloyalty Silver, Hertz 1.7*
I do have a bias against European cars because of all the horror stories I hear about BMWs, Mercedes, Audis, and VWs, and since the cars in my family usually get driven 40k miles/year, low and cheap maintenance is key, although I have been hearing good things about Audi lately
Well that's the best part about getting one as a rental. I don't think I'd ever BUY a Jetta but I don't mind driving it as a rental. ^

I dunno, about a year ago was maybe the last time I had a Jetta, and the thing impressed me just for being comfortable on an endless drive alone. I drove over 900 miles straight through in one day and over 2000 in the trip, and felt more comfortable in that than many other cars in shorter drives, even larger cars. The interior lacks features but it cruises very well.

That said, later in the summer I took a Cruze on the same drive, though I had a passenger, and that one impressed me just fine too. Helped that I had an LTZ. It wasn't quite as comfy as the Jetta though.

I didn't notice any quality problems in my rental, but yeah, of all the cars to choose from I can't really picture buying one. The reliability feels too iffy. (I've owned mostly Honda products.)

But I might be making this drive again in March so I'll be fishing for something comfy to drive it in. I don't know what I'll have to choose from since I haven't done any rentals this year yet.
Old Feb 23, 2014, 5:58 pm

Originally Posted by CrazyOne
Well that's the best part about getting one as a rental. I don't think I'd ever BUY a Jetta but I don't mind driving it as a rental. ^

I dunno, about a year ago was maybe the last time I had a Jetta, and the thing impressed me just for being comfortable on an endless drive alone. I drove over 900 miles straight through in one day and over 2000 in the trip, and felt more comfortable in that than many other cars in shorter drives, even larger cars. The interior lacks features but it cruises very well.

That said, later in the summer I took a Cruze on the same drive, though I had a passenger, and that one impressed me just fine too. Helped that I had an LTZ. It wasn't quite as comfy as the Jetta though.

I didn't notice any quality problems in my rental, but yeah, of all the cars to choose from I can't really picture buying one. The reliability feels too iffy. (I've owned mostly Honda products.)

But I might be making this drive again in March so I'll be fishing for something comfy to drive it in. I don't know what I'll have to choose from since I haven't done any rentals this year yet.
I hear ya - I'm a Honda fanboy myself ^ but Acura has been lacking lately... RLX and ILX are failures IMO, there's a lot riding on the new TLX.. My 2013 ILX Hybrid w/ 29k miles was towed 4 times (albeit once was my fault) and needed a new hybrid battery at ~17k

That being said, I've upgraded with GC to 2 Camry SE's and they are one of my favorite cars to drive in the class... upgraded to 2 Altima's as well, and they were ok to drive and comfortable for my 1100 mile trip, but feels very cheap... 2012 Corolla made me want to shoot myself, 2012 Focus nearly killed me, and got a free upgrade to a Prius and used only 1 gallon of gas total in one day
Old Feb 23, 2014, 6:28 pm

Programs: AA Plt, Marriott Gold, National EE, Hertz PC, El Mambero De Mucci, PWP Aide to Generalissimo Godot
I hear ya - I'm a Honda fanboy myself ^ but Acura has been lacking lately... RLX and ILX are failures IMO, there's a lot riding on the new TLX.. My 2013 ILX Hybrid w/ 29k miles was towed 4 times (albeit once was my fault) and needed a new hybrid battery at ~17k

That being said, I've upgraded with GC to 2 Camry SE's and they are one of my favorite cars to drive in the class... upgraded to 2 Altima's as well, and they were ok to drive and comfortable for my 1100 mile trip, but feels very cheap... 2012 Corolla made me want to shoot myself, 2012 Focus nearly killed me, and got a free upgrade to a Prius and used only 1 gallon of gas total in one day
Honda hasn't built anything worth a damn since the NSX, Integra and S2000. They are just as bad as Toyota when it comes to building appliances on wheels. At least Toyota still builds sports cars. Acura is nothing but front wheel drive cars. Their SUV's are the only thing keeping it afloat.
Old Feb 23, 2014, 11:24 pm

Originally Posted by El_Chiflero
Honda hasn't built anything worth a damn since the NSX, Integra and S2000. They are just as bad as Toyota when it comes to building appliances on wheels. At least Toyota still builds sports cars. Acura is nothing but front wheel drive cars. Their SUV's are the only thing keeping it afloat.
In terms of sports cars/good handling cars, I have to agree with you. However, when it comes to a comfortable car that is reliable & cheap to maintain, Honda and Toyota can't be beat IMO.. Just didn't have the same luck with Fords/GMs/Chryslers, but I understand some have
Old Feb 25, 2014, 4:58 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott LTP, Hilton Gold, ITA Elite+, Cathay S, Singapore S, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Hertz LAX
1day rental
Booked: Full Size
Received: Mercedes SLK 250C ^^
Old Feb 25, 2014, 3:32 pm

Originally Posted by thomas199023
Hertz LAX
1day rental
Booked: Full Size
Received: Mercedes SLK 250C ^^
Old Feb 25, 2014, 7:54 pm

YEG
Booked F
No options
Received YL Journey

Awesome; heated everything in the -35* weather!
Old Feb 27, 2014, 2:57 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
- Airport or location - Cardiff, Wales downtown (Bessemer Rd)
- Rental Car Class - Booked D (Octavia or similar)
- Additional Options - No
- Upgraded? - No. Received Z (Compact wagon), September 2012 Focus 1.6 diesel with 30k miles.

Rate adjusted to C. Only other alternative was a Citroen DS3 (C) which I declined because it was a 1.6 petrol, non-turbo (buzzy as hell for the 200-mile airport run).
Old Feb 27, 2014, 7:29 am

Programs: BA GGL, Marriott, IHG, Sirius, Dusit, Thai, Virgin, Hyatt, BAA, AS, AA(both)
Originally Posted by Cymro
Received Z (Compact wagon), September 2012 Focus 1.6 diesel with 30k miles.
Is that really a Z should be a C5 ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.