Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

List your Free car upgrades here (Outside of Ultimate Choice)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

List your Free car upgrades here (Outside of Ultimate Choice)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2015, 1:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott 5+ BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
SLC
PC
G
Yes: I - 2015 Buick LaCrosse, 5300 miles and active XM

They always get things right here. Apparently they were talking about me in the office and remembered I liked the LaCrosse Thank God it doesn't have the e-Assist. I hope I never get a car with that again.

-J.
Old Aug 1, 2015, 9:38 am

Originally Posted by ectuohy
Woodbridge HLE (Perth Amboy, NJ)
PC
Reserved: F, no options
Received: F (2013 Dodge Charger, NY plates, 42k miles, tons of scratches).

Given that the plastic on the door handle was peeling etc, I decided to try my luck at DCA, and got:
F6 (2013 Nissan Altima, CO plates), but with 55k (!) miles. Still a better car though, but at this point I'm convinced that PC offers no tangible benefit over 5*.
DCA is usually okay for me -- Only time they really give their worst cars to PC members is when you are taking the cars one way (Which it sounds like you were doing)
Old Aug 2, 2015, 4:44 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
Back a week later with another R-class booking.

- LHR
- President's Circle
- Booked R - Renault Captur or similar
- Additional Options: None
- Assigned and took: Kia Carens 3 diesel with a surprisingly large number of scratches for its 1500 miles.

Not sure if I was upgraded - fob says C, paperwork says 'T' but it's a great car so I'll assume that I was. ('T' is a Ford S-Max or similar, although it feels like a class below that - albeit very well equipped, with nav and leather). Only complaint is that it only manages 45 mpg Imperial (37 mpg US, which isn't as good as it sounds at $7/gallon), and it's not fast enough to justify its thirst. In fact it could do with a bigger engine generally which might not have to work so hard.

Last edited by Cymro; Aug 2, 2015 at 4:50 am
Old Aug 2, 2015, 10:39 am

Programs: Marriot Am, MU Pt
Booked: F6 - Audi A6 Avant with winter tires
Assigned: Audi A8 3.0 TDI, refused due to lack of trunk space.
Received: Audi A6 Avant 3.0 TDI with summer tires. Only 2000 km, but there were dents all over the roof, hood, and trunk, so I suspect hail damage. There were also a number of scratches on the rear bumper, which looked like scratches from luggage. Was able to do 6.7L/100km on the highway, so pretty good I think with three adults and five suitcases. It didn't have a sunroof and had only manual seats, but it had four zone climate control, navigation, etc. Also lacked a rear camera which I thought was suppose to standard 2015 onward or is that only in the US? Overall a good car.
Old Aug 2, 2015, 11:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by alphaod
Assigned: Audi A8 3.0 TDI, refused due to lack of trunk space.
With all that space in the back seat you could fit a dozen suitcases! No way I'm refusing an A8 upgrade.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 9:45 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Originally Posted by stimpy
With all that space in the back seat you could fit a dozen suitcases! No way I'm refusing an A8 upgrade.
Given that he says he had three adults, they presumably needed at least half of that back seat.
Old Aug 8, 2015, 8:44 pm

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
- LHR
- President's Circle
- Booked D6 - Nissan Leaf on a super cheap rate - would have been quite happy with this a it was basically a status run to be on the safe side
- Additional Options: None
- Assigned: Initially a Skoda Fabia TDI, brand new, in beige, probably B, possibly A
- Assigned by updated Carfirmation: Volvo XC60 SE Lux D5 (L6)

Quite a jump with no input from my part, and not quite sure what Hertz was trying to achieve, but very happy. As for the car - it's OK but it's surprisingly unrefined and the ride is quite choppy, but it's still a lovely place to be.
Old Aug 9, 2015, 9:21 pm

Location: San Francisco, CA & Bangkok (Home)/Lawrenceville & Switzerland (Boarding School)/Baltimore, MD (College)
Programs: DL DM, AL MVPG 75K, SQ Gold, BA Silver, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriot Plat, Hertz Pres Circle
BWI

BWI Airport
Booked: F Car
received: S4 Infiniti QX80

Was surprised that they would upgrade me to a Prestige vehicle because I am only 22. I saw it in my carfirmation, and looked like they didn't have many vehicles at all
Old Aug 11, 2015, 4:51 am

NYC HLE
Booked: G
Received: Chrysler 300 (I)

2014 model with 22k on the clock, but in very good shape. I felt a bit like a car service driver, and I still think it's kind of ugly, but a perfectly respectable car.
Old Aug 11, 2015, 5:40 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
FLL
Reserved: G
Received : 2015 I Chrysler 300 with 13,000 miles and working Sirius/XM.

LGA (One-Way into Manhattan)
Reserved: G
Assigned: YF 2015 Impala Classic

I had a long discussion in with the Gold Desk agent trying to explain to them the difference between an Impala Classic and an Impala but it appears to be a distinction that's too hard for the staff there to understand. I refused to accept the Impala Classic and asked for another premium or better car. I ended up taking a 2014 L Dodge Journey with 32,000 miles and expired Sirius/XM.

The line the agent kept spouting to me was that "All 2015 Impalas (even Classics) are Premium."

I really hate renting from LGA.
Old Aug 11, 2015, 11:59 am
Suspended

Hertz Italy:

Three rentals, Zero upgrades. Couldn't get them to do an upgrade from Manual to Automatic if my life depended on it. They want to charge an extra 30 EUR per day. Got them down to 10 Eur in Venice, but the car was so badly serviced (forgot to change a particle filter, it turns out according to roadside assistance) that I had to exchange it in Munich where again, they refused to replace it with an automatic car.

The upgrades, President Circle, or Amex Cent/Plat benefits with Hertz are a marketing joke.
Old Aug 11, 2015, 12:10 pm

Originally Posted by Allvest
Hertz Italy:

Three rentals, Zero upgrades. Couldn't get them to do an upgrade from Manual to Automatic if my life depended on it. They want to charge an extra 30 EUR per day. Got them down to 10 Eur in Venice, but the car was so badly serviced (forgot to change a particle filter, it turns out according to roadside assistance) that I had to exchange it in Munich where again, they refused to replace it with an automatic car.

The upgrades, President Circle, or Amex Cent/Plat benefits with Hertz are a marketing joke.
Manual to automatic is a big move pricewise for many European markets, and the supply of automatics is a lot smaller. Not surprised they wouldn't make that upgrade. Quick check shows that, for Hertz MUC, going from a midsize manual to a fullsize auto is a ~50% price increase.

Also, FYI, the PC benefit in Europe is for "select European locations," so they don't promise it's universal, and there's no promise that the upgrade will jump the manual/automatic divide.
Old Aug 11, 2015, 12:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by Allvest
You don't say what your status is? I'm guessing it's not Platinum because I always get awesome Plat upgrades in Europe. I personally don't want an automatic, but sometimes I get one anyways. In most of the Porsche upgrades I get here are automatics. What a waste!
Old Aug 11, 2015, 1:33 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by stimpy
You don't say what your status is? I'm guessing it's not Platinum because I always get awesome Plat upgrades in Europe. I personally don't want an automatic, but sometimes I get one anyways. In most of the Porsche upgrades I get here are automatics. What a waste!
I actually get nice upgrades in Hamburg.

I am President Circle. They don't have Plat in Canada apparently.
Old Aug 11, 2015, 1:34 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by cestmoi123
Manual to automatic is a big move pricewise for many European markets, and the supply of automatics is a lot smaller. Not surprised they wouldn't make that upgrade. Quick check shows that, for Hertz MUC, going from a midsize manual to a fullsize auto is a ~50% price increase.

Also, FYI, the PC benefit in Europe is for "select European locations," so they don't promise it's universal, and there's no promise that the upgrade will jump the manual/automatic divide.
Then it's not a benefit. It's just marketing scribbling something to draw customers.

Last edited by Rut Dog; Aug 11, 2015 at 7:58 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.